Pro Wrestling AEW MEGA THREAD

Advertisement
Best storyline I have seen ever. They are working TF out of us

I don’t think the missed meet and greet was a work. I think he legitimately skipped that. As for everything that took place after that, your guess is as good as mine.

Bryan Alvarez thinks it’s a work. Dave Meltzer basically hedged. Sean Ross Sapp thinks it’s mostly legit.

Advertisement
It’s unlikely it’s a work. MJF wants to go to WWE as it’s where he can earn the greatest fame and salary, while at the same time working a much less intense in ring style. He could easily have a 16 year career there and be set for his life, notwithstanding movie opportunities that may arise. AEW will have to really overpay to keep him (ala $7M per year). I would actually lean towards them going that route, as I could see MJF as a long term heel champion for them much like Flair was for JCP.

He’s a unique talent.

I don’t think Roman even makes $7 million.

MJF will get paid handsomely but he’s not getting that kind of money from either WWE or AEW.

Advertisement
I would think this means things were patched up to be put back on tv so quickly. If they weren't, Tony would be a fool let him back on after the burial ending to the Wardlow feud. If he's still unhappy and looking to leave, you want the last image of him in AEW being stretchered out of the arena.

It’s unlikely it’s a work. MJF wants to go to WWE as it’s where he can earn the greatest fame and salary, while at the same time working a much less intense in ring style. He could easily have a 16 year career there and be set for his life, notwithstanding movie opportunities that may arise. AEW will have to really overpay to keep him (ala $7M per year). I would actually lean towards them going that route, as I could see MJF as a long term heel champion for them much like Flair was for JCP.

He’s a unique talent.
I have been largely unimpressed with MJF. He is good on the mic, sometimes excellent, but he had to start begging for the boos a few months back. People were just not as into his gimmick as they had been. His infrequent ring activity also turned me off. Punk was right that Baker had replaced him as one of the 4 pillars a while back.

As to Punk, it seems like AEW didn't have much choice but to out the belt on him, particularly in light of all the other storylines they are building/convoluting. Hangman lacks the "it" factor to be champ for any extended period of time. They've already worked through the older options like Moxley and Jericho. I don't see anybody else, positioned for a single's run now, who can do it. So I guess you go with Punk, break a couple guys out of other storylines (maybe Sammy?) and see where that goes.

It may also be that AEW just has too much talent and too much going on. They are cross-promoting with New Japan and taking over ROH. You have guys like Jay Lethal or KS who just have no real place and all kinds of people dropping in and out (ElIdalo, and a ton on the women's side). My other ***** is about J.R.. He is clearly back to his WWE days where big men equalled money. The problem is AEW's sweet spot is mid-size guys. It only has about 3-4 dudes in excess of 260 pounds (Wardlow, Limitless, Luchasaurus) that seem to even really register. And, if you give one of them the strap, you really limit realistic options. Darby v. Keith Lee? C'mon.

Also, I understand how badly MJF wants to be Flair, but let that kid work 60 minute matches, and work 6 days week, for a few decades, and then we can compare the total packages they bring to the table.

I have been largely unimpressed with MJF. He is good on the mic, sometimes excellent, but he had to start begging for the boos a few months back. People were just not as into his gimmick as they had been. His infrequent ring activity also turned me off. Punk was right that Baker had replaced him as one of the 4 pillars a while back.

As to Punk, it seems like AEW didn't have much choice but to out the belt on him, particularly in light of all the other storylines they are building/convoluting. Hangman lacks the "it" factor to be champ for any extended period of time. They've already worked through the older options like Moxley and Jericho. I don't see anybody else, positioned for a single's run now, who can do it. So I guess you go with Punk, break a couple guys out of other storylines (maybe Sammy?) and see where that goes.

It may also be that AEW just has too much talent and too much going on. They are cross-promoting with New Japan and taking over ROH. You have guys like Jay Lethal or KS who just have no real place and all kinds of people dropping in and out (ElIdalo, and a ton on the women's side). My other ***** is about J.R.. He is clearly back to his WWE days where big men equalled money. The problem is AEW's sweet spot is mid-size guys. It only has about 3-4 dudes in excess of 260 pounds (Wardlow, Limitless, Luchasaurus) that seem to even really register. And, if you give one of them the strap, you really limit realistic options. Darby v. Keith Lee? C'mon.

Also, I understand how badly MJF wants to be Flair, but let that kid work 60 minute matches, and work 6 days week, for a few decades, and then we can compare the total packages they bring to the table.
I think with Punk that there are a few options that can carry the company for the remainder of the year.

1) Punk turns heel as only Punk can - admitting he only came back for the money and that he despises the wrestling community. Nonetheless, as long as Tony pays him dollars that make Roman envious, he'll continue to hang around. At least until WWE and the better Khan (Nick) puts him in the HoF, at which point he'll retire and enter the hall with the AEW title. Omega returns in the fall to try to wrest the title back from him.

2) Miro returns tonight and obliterates Punk, setting up a nice three month feud

3) We revisit the Darby / Punk storyline and build the former up

4) Adam Cole (unfortunately) gets a run at Punk and wins the title

I think with Punk that there are a few options that can carry the company for the remainder of the year.

1) Punk turns heel as only Punk can - admitting he only came back for the money and that he despises the wrestling community. Nonetheless, as long as Tony pays him dollars that make Roman envious, he'll continue to hang around. At least until WWE and the better Khan (Nick) puts him in the HoF, at which point he'll retire and enter the hall with the AEW title. Omega returns in the fall to try to wrest the title back from him.

2) Miro returns tonight and obliterates Punk, setting up a nice three month feud

I want Eddie to take the title off of a heel Punk. Let Kingston win in NYC, giving him a Foley-esque moment.

Last edited:
Advertisement

He’s a unique talent.
The thing about MJF going to the WWE is that he’s not an original NXT homegrown performer...

Which means he would absolutely get buried & turned into a mid-card jobber after his initial debut.

No way would they properly build his character & let him work the same gimmick, they’d start out by programming him with Seth Rollins or AJ Styles & beat’em then push him down the roster. Vince & the WWE front office would never let him be their top Heel in the company, he would have to get himself over, but they would make it next to impossible for him to do it.

Advertisement

1. Reports are that Omega needed multiple surgeries and is unlikely to come back as the Bout Machine, more likely in tag work.

2. Really hope not. That would get back to the "big man" angle. And I don't see Mero as a real draw. But maybe for a short period of time. But then what? He is also an example of a guy that just disappeared as AEW has too much going on.

3. I can see that and it allows Punk to do the heel thing he clearly wants to do, while allowing Darby to grow on the mic while largely learning from/carried by Punk.

4. I don't know. Seems like AEW might have too much riding on Cole right now. Kind of surprised he and Baker won the Hart Cup, but knew the outcomes when I saw both wearing pink.

AEW is confusing now. It was factions, then all about tag teams, then the birth of a strong women's division, and now back to factions and introducing mixed-gender matches from the factions.

I personally don’t see Punk losing the belt for a long time. He’s their #1 draw, #1 merch guy, #1 highest paid wrestler. Plus he has a lot of mainstream appeal.

They’ll stick with him for a while unless he gets hurt.

Advertisement
Back