ACC Tournament

For a team with literally 1 reliable arm that can throw more than 5 innings in a week, getting the tiebreaker and knowing which pool game is meaningless are invaluable advantages.

If duke wins, we can get the Rosario-and-pray game out of the way on Thursday - though I expect Gino will go Chestnut in pool play and save Rosario for wake (he’s got great stuff, you know).

Advertisement
Oh good lord, what a worthless bunch of horse****. "They get to see who wins, so they know which game matters".

I gave an example, AN EXAMPLE, that spreads the games around so that nobody can make any ridiculous arguments. It's not a single elimination tournament like the SEC. It's pool play.

Oh, "they can't play before 3 pm on Wednesday". What a joke. You can do any **** thing you want to do if you just make the effort to have scheduling equity and sanity.

Nothing personal, but who put the mentally-challenged ACC employees in charge of this idiotic ACC scheduling process? John Swofford?

But, sure, let's sit around to "know which game matters". **** that bull****, make a schedule, play the schedule, and let's stop being a bunch of ***** apologists for every bad decision by the ACC.

I'll bet you have a drawer full of Irish potato peelers.
No offense, but what's up with the irish potato peeler joke

So you wanna discount the entire regular season? That’s why the top 4 seeds don’t play until I said. They’ve earned the right to play in a winner take all pool game. Having them play day one forced them to try to win that game. If they were to lose, and that other team wins the next one, they’re out. So yes it’s a single elimination.

God forbid they just make a schedule and Miami gets a top 4 seed and has to play the first game in their pool, when somebody else didn’t have to. This place would riot. This is the most fair way to do pool play.

Releasing a pool play schedule before you know the teams is dumb. It’s a disservice to fans. Not that it matters bc they still ***** it up even after they wait.

I just knew there would be some sort of *****-*** uncompetitive explanation from you and/or Jagr.

I just knew there would be some sort of *****-*** uncompetitive explanation from you and/or Jagr.
I guess using the advantage you earned throughout the full regular season is “*****-***.”

Why don’t you start the petition to the NCAA to play an away regional bc we’re manly men who don’t need no home regional to advance.

Advertisement
D1’s podcast today had Miami as the first non-8 seed team to host, followed quickly by Auburn (not saying Miami was 9, they weren’t, but they were the first team not in the discussion for 8.) 10-12, depending on how conference tourneys play out, is what I’d expect.

Worth noting that there was a brief discussion about Indiana State to host, but their top level RPI record disqualified them.
It would likely take an ACC tournament win to get to the top 8 and that may not be enough. However, wouldn't it be nice to win the tournament that most Canes fans say is a meaningless tournament.

Secondly, good to hear Indiana St won't host. I can't understand an RPI formula where they're ranked so high and yet are only 2-9 against Q1 opponents. That equates to an early exit in the regionals.

The most revealing part of this entire conversation is that you don't get why the top 4 seeds deserve and get the right to NOT play the first game in their pool.

Advertisement
Nice game between VT-BC. Back and forth, BC just took the lead in the 6th, 8-6

BC wins 11-7. UNC-GT first pitch at 3:30.

Last edited:
I guess using the advantage you earned throughout the full regular season is “*****-***.”

Why don’t you start the petition to the NCAA to play an away regional bc we’re manly men who don’t need no home regional to advance.

The "advantage you earned throughout the full regular season" is to play weaker teams. Not to sit back and half-*** it because you are trying to throw a game with minimal effort so you can try harder next time.

I'm not sure what your deal is with the regionals, I didn't say a word about that.

I've limited myself to THE ACC TOURNAMENT, so try to stay on topic.

If the ACC Tournament is so worthless, then cancel it. But if you are going to play the ACC Tournament, let's not turn it into a ****** Christmas Day bowl game that nobody cares about and half the seniors opt out of.

Advertisement
The most revealing part of this entire conversation is that you don't get why the top 4 seeds deserve and get the right to NOT play the first game in their pool.

No, as per usual, the most revealing part is always you acting like you know more than everyone else, and you pretending that there are no other viewpoints than your own.

I fully acknowledge that you are defending some *****-*** Kenny Powers "why give 100%" rationale when you act as if it is the height of sportsmanship and strategery to sit around watching everyone else so that you can throttle down your effort-level to only what is the bare minimum required.

I responded to someone who made a comment about the fan experience of watching the Tournament. I posited a distribution of games across 4 days that would have the Top 4 seeds playing on all days. It doesn't require a degree in rocket science to adjust that schedule ever-so-slightly to incorporate your *****-mentality "let's see how the lesser teams do first" approach into the scheduling process.

Again, it's not hard to set a schedule in advance, and then fill in the teams per the seeding. That's what I've been talking about the entire time, regardless of your infantile/emotional nonsense about letting the Top 4 seeds sit around deciding how hard to try once they take the field.

No, as per usual, the most revealing part is always you acting like you know more than everyone else, and you pretending that there are no other viewpoints than your own.

I fully acknowledge that you are defending some *****-*** Kenny Powers "why give 100%" rationale when you act as if it is the height of sportsmanship and strategery to sit around watching everyone else so that you can throttle down your effort-level to only what is the bare minimum required.

I responded to someone who made a comment about the fan experience of watching the Tournament. I posited a distribution of games across 4 days that would have the Top 4 seeds playing on all days. It doesn't require a degree in rocket science to adjust that schedule ever-so-slightly to incorporate your *****-mentality "let's see how the lesser teams do first" approach into the scheduling process.

Again, it's not hard to set a schedule in advance, and then fill in the teams per the seeding. That's what I've been talking about the entire time, regardless of your infantile/emotional nonsense about letting the Top 4 seeds sit around deciding how hard to try once they take the field.

Now it’s infantile to suggest that the top seeds should have an advantage?

Advertisement
Now it’s infantile to suggest that the top seeds should have an advantage?

I made it clear. The top seeds already have an advantage. It's called "playing lesser teams". Your advantage becomes greater the higher your seeding. Just like in every tournament ever.

But you are suggesting a separate advantage whereby the top seeds can choose to possibly tank a game. Which, of course, is a ***** move.

What's next from you, not running to first when you hit a ground ball to an infielder and it's cleanly fielded? Walking back to the dugout when the catcher drops a third strike? Just let me know how little you want to compete in order to "save" your team for the regionals...

I made it clear. The top seeds already have an advantage. It's called "playing lesser teams". Your advantage becomes greater the higher your seeding. Just like in every tournament ever.

But you are suggesting a separate advantage whereby the top seeds can choose to possibly tank a game. Which, of course, is a ***** move.

What's next from you, not running to first when you hit a ground ball to an infielder and it's cleanly fielded? Walking back to the dugout when the catcher drops a third strike? Just let me know how little you want to compete in order to "save" your team for the regionals...
I am not the one suggesting anything. It’s reality. It is how the actual tournament is set up. And every single top-4 seed will take advantage of it. Watch.

This is just dumb and emotional. No one has even come close to saying that we should dog it this week to get rested for next week. We're saying to win the one game you have to win to get to Saturday. You're the only one trying to man up and waste pitching on the other game, which literally means nothing.

Advertisement
Back