ACC Tournament

I think a national seed is within reach. I’ve got it like this right now.
  1. Wake
  2. UF
  3. Stanford
  4. LSU
  5. Arkansas
  6. Clemson
  7. Virginia
  8. Coastal
  9. Vandy
  10. Miami
  11. West Virginia
  12. Oregon St
  13. Kentucky
  14. UConn
  15. South Carolina
  16. East Carolina
8-14 is pretty **** tight. Giving Coastal the edge over Vandy even though the Commodores just took the series from the Razorbacks. Vandy has been hot and cold at times and got swept by UF the week prior. Miami right there with those two, with WVU (getting swept knocks them out of a national seed for now imo), Oregon St, Kentucky (lost series vs. UF) and UConn.

Winning the ACC tourney would definitely get us a national seed. SEC tourney (I’ll be in attendance) is going to be murderer’s row for just about anyone, and teams like Vandy, Tennessee, SCar and Kentucky could play there way in or out of certain positions. Super volatile.

I think we’re in a pretty decent spot right now. Definitely have to win our pool to keep that outside shot at a national seed going. I think we pretty much clinch a regional host with a win, if we haven’t done so already.

Other teams hanging around host consideration include Texas, Dallas Baptist, Ok St, Campbell, Indiana St, Tennessee, and BC.

It's going to be interesting to see what the committee does with South Carolina. They've been playing themselves right out of contention, going 4-11 in their last 15. They have been so hot or cold this year. They need to do some damage in the SEC tourney, IMO. And its not just "the SEC is good" type parity stuff. They've lost their last four weekend series AND midweeks to North Florida and Charlotte.

Screenshot 2023-05-21 at 1.17.19 PM.png

Advertisement
That might be the worst possible schedule they could come up with.

Nah, we could have also drawn the 11 am game on Friday...Now THAT would have been the worst possible schedule...

Good lord, what we got is horrible. No way to give the Top 4 seeds a day off in between? WTF?

Nah, we could have also drawn the 11 am game on Friday. THAT would have been the worst possible schedule.

Good lord, what we got is horrible. No way to give the Top 4 seeds a day off in between? WTF?
They won’t schedule a team to play two games in a row in pool play. 7pm Thursday took us out of any chance to play 11am on Friday.

I want to know what days top seeds asked off. There’s a lot of explaining to do with what this ****show of a schedule turned out to be.

Advertisement
That's what I'd do, since you'd only have to win that game to go 1 - 1 and advance.
Chestnutt goes the other game.

Best case is Duke beats state. Chestnutt and a bunch of other guys who don’t matter go Thursday. Absolute worst case is State beats Duke and us and we’re sitting there with Rosario against Duke on Friday. Going 0-2 puts us in play to miss out on a host if things break against us. It’s a long shot but there’s about 5 teams that could steal a spot with runs this week. #10-16 is as close as it’s been in a while.

Last edited:
Chestnutt goes the other game.

Best case is Duke beats state. Chestnutt and a bunch of other guys who don’t matter go Thursday. Absolute worst case is State beats Duke and us and we’re sitting there with Rosario against Duke on Friday. Going 0-3 puts us in play to miss out on a host of things break against us. There’s about 5 teams that could steal a spot with runs this week. #10-16 is as close as it’s been in a while.
You don't think Ziehl could beat NCST if they beat Duke, and you can't go 0 - 3 (I suspect you fat fingered that)? I don't think a W vs Duke in Durham in a conf tourney is a must.

You don't think Ziehl could beat NCST if they beat Duke, and you can't go 0 - 3 (I suspect you fat fingered that)? I don't think a W vs Duke in Durham in a conf tourney is a must.
I did I meant 0-2. I still think a host is in the cards if we’re 0-2, just saying it’s not impossible for it to go away.

I think Ziehl can beat anybody. I’d just prefer for the Friday game to be for the semis. Home field advantage for Duke is non existent. That state game will feel more like a road game than Friday. Neither team has a true ace, but state can bash their way to a couple wins. Their ceiling is much higher and lower than Duke. I’ll take the team I know more, to be my winner take all game.

I did I meant 0-2. I still think a host is in the cards if we’re 0-2, just saying it’s not impossible for it to go away.

I think Ziehl can beat anybody. I’d just prefer for the Friday game to be for the semis. Home field advantage for Duke is non existent. That state game will feel more like a road game than Friday. Neither team has a true ace, but state can bash their way to a couple wins. Their ceiling is much higher and lower than Duke. I’ll take the team I know more, to be my winner take all game.
Got it.

I hope Ligon gets a few innings in that less important game. Pitching in a regional for his 1st appearance in week's is no small task.

Advertisement
It's going to be interesting to see what the committee does with South Carolina. They've been playing themselves right out of contention, going 4-11 in their last 15. They have been so hot or cold this year. They need to do some damage in the SEC tourney, IMO. And its not just "the SEC is good" type parity stuff. They've lost their last four weekend series AND midweeks to North Florida and Charlotte.

View attachment 239179

USCe has been plagued with injuries. Not a team anyone wants to face at full strength.

But they’ve definitely played themselves out of a super seed. Will be lucky to host.

They won’t schedule a team to play two games in a row in pool play. 7pm Thursday took us out of any chance to play 11am on Friday.

I want to know what days top seeds asked off. There’s a lot of explaining to do with what this ****show of a schedule turned out to be.

Ahhh, saved from back-to-back games on a technicality. Proof that the ACC actually gives a ****...

In case it wasn't clear, I was being sarcastic anyhow. Pointing out that the worst possible combination of games was avoided by a mere few hours. When I use an ellipsis...I'm being sarcastic...

View attachment 239179

The D1 guys think that the SEC tournament is going to have to sort out the five SEC teams that have a legitimate case for hosting (outside of the four obvious top 8 teams).

Ahhh, saved from back-to-back games on a technicality. Proof that the ACC actually gives a ****...

In case it wasn't clear, I was being sarcastic anyhow. Pointing out that the worst possible combination of games was avoided by a mere few hours. When I use an ellipsis...I'm being sarcastic...
Makes sense. I actually believe we got the best schedule of any team. I don’t like days off in between pool play games. My complaint is for the fans.

Advertisement
Those top 7 are all locks, and our metrics just don’t hold up to take #8, likely even IF we were to win the tourney.

That ship has sailed unfortunately.
This is true.
Our RPI, which is skewed by a ridiculous love for the SEC, just won't allow us into he top 8.

There's almost nothing we can do.

Makes sense. I actually believe we got the best schedule of any team. I don’t like days off in between pool play games. My complaint is for the fans.

You think the "best schedule" is to play four consecutive days?

Bizarre.

Advertisement
I would love to know how a mathematical formula is skewed toward a conference.

WP*.25 + OWP*.5 + OOWP*.25 doesn't indicate any spot to input an SEC bonus.
That formula would benefit anyone that plays more teams with good records, and if you inflate an entire conferences record with garbage it can definitely skew things. The mvc did it every year in basketball, it’s one of the reasons the tourney stopped using the rpi

Advertisement
Back