ACC Tournament

...and after all of that we still will not get in to the top 8

But to agree with at least part of the conversation. We simply should have won more games against the better competition. Getting swept by Wake and UVA, losing 2 of 3 against UF, and losing 2 away and FAU, hurt our RPI.

We are going to host a regional and we'll be somewhere between the 10 & 12, most likely. Depending on who we pair with, it looks also very likely we will be away for the super, assuming we get there....and we flat out have to play better on the road, at that point.

Advertisement
...and after all of that we still will not get in to the top 8

But to agree with at least part of the conversation. We simply should have won more games against the better competition. Getting swept by Wake and UVA, losing 2 of 3 against UF, and losing 2 away and FAU, hurt our RPI.

We are going to host a regional and we'll be somewhere between the 10 & 12, most likely. Depending on who we pair with, it looks also very likely we will be away for the super, assuming we get there....and we flat out have to play better on the road, at that point.
D1’s podcast today had Miami as the first non-8 seed team to host, followed quickly by Auburn (not saying Miami was 9, they weren’t, but they were the first team not in the discussion for 8.) 10-12, depending on how conference tourneys play out, is what I’d expect.

Worth noting that there was a brief discussion about Indiana State to host, but their top level RPI record disqualified them.

I haven't watched an inning of a Clemson game this year and just looking at the projections it seems they are a top-8 lock - can one of youse guys tell me about 'em? (looking at you @HurricanePhilly )

I'm hoping we do get to play them at least once (means we got to the conference championship game and/or Omaha).

Yeah, Ole Miss really put a lot into the SEC Tournament last year.

Oh **** off. It has nothing to do with "putting a lot in", but is it too much to ask for some scheduling equity for a Top 4 seed?

And don't pull this ridiculous comparative bull****. Ole Miss played ONE game in the SEC tournament, they were a 9-seed and they lost to 8-seed Vanderbilt 3-1. Don't even pretend that's in the same category as what I'm arguing here.

Oh, and what would have happened if Ole Miss had WON that game against Vandy? That's right, two days rest.

It's your same-old, same-old garbage arguments.

Oh **** off. It has nothing to do with "putting a lot in", but is it too much to ask for some scheduling equity for a Top 4 seed?

And don't pull this ridiculous comparative bull****. Ole Miss played ONE game in the SEC tournament, they were a 9-seed and they lost to 8-seed Vanderbilt 3-1. Don't even pretend that's in the same category as what I'm arguing here.

Oh, and what would have happened if Ole Miss had WON that game against Vandy? That's right, two days rest.

Touched a nerve, I see.

You're the only one who seems to be caught up in "rest" to be able to compete in game three. If anything, we are the one team that gets to have a normal weekend. The bottom line is that we just need to hold serve and get to Saturday. Having one more day somewhere in between would literally make no difference.

Advertisement

You understand that one game is less than meaningless, right? When we play the loser of NC State and Duke we can literally put Cyr on the mound. We won't waste a single arm.

D1’s podcast today had Miami as the first non-8 seed team to host, followed quickly by Auburn (not saying Miami was 9, they weren’t, but they were the first team not in the discussion for 8.) 10-12, depending on how conference tourneys play out, is what I’d expect.

Worth noting that there was a brief discussion about Indiana State to host, but their top level RPI record disqualified them.

We will host but we will not be a national seed, regardless of what happens this week/weekend.

Really don't see how that changes.

MAYBE, if we blow through the whole tournament and run-rule every opponent and cruise to an ACC Championship, we can get the 8 seed, but highly unlikely. Plan on being somewhere between 10 and 14, hosting a regional next weekend, and then neeing an upset to avoid going on the road in the Supers.

The odds is this team winning the tournament are minuscule bc of the pitching. Doesn’t matter when the games are played. I’m the biggest complainer on this board about this program not caring about the ACCT. Yet even I can admit that the best course of action is getting the rest needed for Ziehl to win whichever game that decides our pool. A free roll game in the semis against Wake is only positive. That’s what seals our fate as a likely 11-12 seed. Acting like not having a day off is gonna mean anything when you’re lining up a guy who hasn’t pitched in 2 months, or Rosario, or Gallo, against the best offense in the country is gonna matter, is hilarious.

I didn't say we would win the tournament, but we shouldn't be given a disadvantage either. I'm not being critical of you personally, but you were the one who said it was good for the fans. I'm just being honest, I've been going to UM Baseball games since 1987, the best thing for the fans is winning.

You understand that one game is less than meaningless, right? When we play the loser of NC State and Duke we can literally put Cyr on the mound. We won't waste a single arm.

It's not "meaningless" you loser. It may be meaningless to you, and for that I don't care.

And we use more pitchers than starters. You have a relief staff that would need to pitch 4 days in a row.

Just keep making excuses. It literally doesn't cast the ACC a dime to schedule the games fairly and equitably. But you're acting like someone stole something from you, simply for pointing out what a joke the scheduling is.

Advertisement
We will host but we will not be a national seed, regardless of what happens this week/weekend.

Really don't see how that changes.

MAYBE, if we blow through the whole tournament and run-rule every opponent and cruise to an ACC Championship, we can get the 8 seed, but highly unlikely. Plan on being somewhere between 10 and 14, hosting a regional next weekend, and then neeing an upset to avoid going on the road in the Supers.
I agree, it doesnt matter what we do in the ACC tournament...I mean I GUESS there is an outside chance we sneak into the top 8 if we blow through the whole thing, but thats a lot to ask for

WHAT WE KNOW: We will host a regional

And we need to be healthy and prepared for that. If making a little run in the ACC tourney, means we can get Ligon back healthy. That would probably make a huge difference.

It's not "meaningless" you loser. It may be meaningless to you, and for that I don't care.

And we use more pitchers than starters. You have a relief staff that would need to pitch 4 days in a row.

Just keep making excuses. It literally doesn't cast the ACC a dime to schedule the games fairly and equitably. But you're acting like someone stole something from you, simply for pointing out what a joke the scheduling is.

LOL, I am acting that way? Classic. You’re taking personal shots over something this meaningless.

Touched a nerve, I see.

You're the only one who seems to be caught up in "rest" to be able to compete in game three. If anything, we are the one team that gets to have a normal weekend. The bottom line is that we just need to hold serve and get to Saturday. Having one more day somewhere in between would literally make no difference.

Touched a nerve?

Look, you're the same-old stubborn apologist as always.

There should be ZERO mystery about the ACC Tournament schedule. The games should already be scheduled, the only thing unknown beforehand should be the seeds.

Oh, but the drama of announcing the games and matchups...what a joke.

Tuesday - 2-11, 4-9, 8-12
Wednesday - 1-12, 3-10, 5-9
Thursday - 2-7, 4-5, 6-10
Friday - 1-8, 3-6, 7-11

See how easy that was? Now get back to your job at the ACC office selling commercials to the Irish Potato Peeler people...

Advertisement
FWIW, D1 Chat today said they feel that Wake, Clemson, UVA, and Miami are all comfortably secure as hosts, and that Duke/BC are likely fighting for a potential 5th ACC host.

Touched a nerve?

There should be ZERO mystery about the ACC Tournament schedule. The games should already be scheduled, the only thing unknown beforehand should be the seeds.

No one is confused about how to set up the games. People are just wondering when rest became so important in such a pointless tournament.

I didn't say we would win the tournament, but we shouldn't be given a disadvantage either. I'm not being critical of you personally, but you were the one who said it was good for the fans. I'm just being honest, I've been going to UM Baseball games since 1987, the best thing for the fans is winning.
I was talking about the tournament as a whole. The schedule is awful for all fans. The most popular games are not in the prime, time slots. And the 1v4 semi should be the late game considering the 3pm and 7pm game on Friday, likely determines who plays that Saturday.

Again we were given a great draw. We have to win 3 games. One of the possible 4, means absolutely nothing. Ziehl gets his full weeks rest in the game that matters, no matter which game that is. Can’t ask for anything more than that.

Advertisement
Touched a nerve?

Wednesday - 1-12, 3-10, 5-9
Thursday - 2-7, 4-5, 6-10
Friday - 1-8, 3-6, 7-11

See how easy that was? Now get back to your job at the ACC office selling commercials to the Irish Potato Peeler people...
This is wrong. Top 4 seeds don’t play the first game in their pool. They can’t play before 3pm on Wednesday. They get to see who wins, so they know which game matters.

No one is confused about how to set up the games. People are just wondering when rest became so important in such a pointless tournament.

There's no "people" wondering when rest became so important in such a pointless tournament. Just you.

If it's so pointless, we might as well just cancel it, right?

Instead, we're just going to get a couple of worthless arrogant stats ******** to tell us how everything is meaningless and nothing matters and we are already stuck and nothing we do has any importance...

This is wrong. Top 4 seeds don’t play the first game in their pool. They can’t play before 3pm on Wednesday. They get to see who wins, so they know which game matters.

Oh good lord, what a worthless bunch of horse****. "They get to see who wins, so they know which game matters".

I gave an example, AN EXAMPLE, that spreads the games around so that nobody can make any ridiculous arguments. It's not a single elimination tournament like the SEC. It's pool play.

Oh, "they can't play before 3 pm on Wednesday". What a joke. You can do any **** thing you want to do if you just make the effort to have scheduling equity and sanity.

Nothing personal, but who put the mentally-challenged ACC employees in charge of this idiotic ACC scheduling process? John Swofford?

But, sure, let's sit around to "know which game matters". **** that bull****, make a schedule, play the schedule, and let's stop being a bunch of ***** apologists for every bad decision by the ACC.

I'll bet you have a drawer full of Irish potato peelers.

Oh good lord, what a worthless bunch of horse****. "They get to see who wins, so they know which game matters".

I gave an example, AN EXAMPLE, that spreads the games around so that nobody can make any ridiculous arguments. It's not a single elimination tournament like the SEC. It's pool play.

Oh, "they can't play before 3 pm on Wednesday". What a joke. You can do any **** thing you want to do if you just make the effort to have scheduling equity and sanity.

Nothing personal, but who put the mentally-challenged ACC employees in charge of this idiotic ACC scheduling process? John Swofford?

But, sure, let's sit around to "know which game matters". **** that bull****, make a schedule, play the schedule, and let's stop being a bunch of ***** apologists for every bad decision by the ACC.

I'll bet you have a drawer full of Irish potato peelers.
So you wanna discount the entire regular season? That’s why the top 4 seeds don’t play until I said. They’ve earned the right to play in a winner take all pool game. Having them play day one forced them to try to win that game. If they were to lose, and that other team wins the next one, they’re out. So yes it’s a single elimination.

God forbid they just make a schedule and Miami gets a top 4 seed and has to play the first game in their pool, when somebody else didn’t have to. This place would riot. This is the most fair way to do pool play.

Releasing a pool play schedule before you know the teams is dumb. It’s a disservice to fans. Not that it matters bc they still ***** it up even after they wait.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back