ACC Tournament

One game won’t matter. So 3 in 4 days or 3 in 3 days. Just another weekend as usual.

You're right. 4 games in 4 days won't matter. With our pitching.

Good lord, what a bunch of bull****.

What kind of puss logic says "hey, let's try to lose the semi so that we can try to do better in a week"?

I want to win the ACC Tournament, something we've done only once since we joined.

Advertisement
That formula would benefit anyone that plays more teams with good records, and if you inflate an entire conferences record with garbage it can definitely skew things. The mvc did it every year in basketball, it’s one of the reasons the tourney stopped using the rpi

It is actually the opposite. The SEC teams above us all have much stronger non-conference schedules. While Kentucky swept Indiana State (RPI #10) we swept Dartmouth (RPI #303!!!) and went 2-1 against Penn State (RPI #146).

If anything, it is the ACC that has the inflated RPIs. Just last year:

#37 Ole Miss won at #17 Miami
#23 Oklahoma won at #5 Virginia Tech
#40 Arkansas won at #4 North Carolina
#44 Connecticut won the regional that included #7 Wake Forest. Wake went 1-2.

What kind of puss logic says "hey, let's try to lose the semi so that we can try to do better in a week"?

I want to win the ACC Tournament, something we've done only once since we joined.

Yeah, Ole Miss really put a lot into the SEC Tournament last year.

It is actually the opposite. The SEC teams above us all have much stronger non-conference schedules. While Kentucky swept Indiana State (RPI #10) we swept Dartmouth (RPI #303!!!) and went 2-1 against Penn State (RPI #146).

If anything, it is the ACC that has the inflated RPIs. Just last year:

#37 Ole Miss won at #17 Miami
#23 Oklahoma won at #5 Virginia Tech
#40 Arkansas won at #4 North Carolina
#44 Connecticut won the regional that included #7 Wake Forest. Wake went 1-2.
You quoted two examples… look at the overall non conference sos, the sec is very low and every team pads their records with 8-10 gimme wins per year, it’s intentional. One or two extra games across the conference adds up to a big difference once conference play starts. This isn’t really a debate, the rpi is easy to manipulate, it’s why it was dropped in basketball and if people gambled on baseball the same way they’d drop it there too

You quoted two examples… look at the overall non conference sos, the sec is very low and every team pads their records with 8-10 gimme wins per year, it’s intentional. One or two extra games across the conference adds up to a big difference once conference play starts. This isn’t really a debate, the rpi is easy to manipulate, it’s why it was dropped in basketball and if people gambled on baseball the same way they’d drop it there too

Oh my.....

Non conference RPIs:

Kentucky 9
Arkansas 42
LSU 75
Florida 156
South Carolina 63
Vanderbilt 64
Alabama 123
Auburn 56

Wake Forest 139
Clemson 14
Virginia 200
Boston College 204
Miami 151
Duke 70
NC State 122
UNC 66

That's an average of 73 to 120. You are right that it is not a debate.

Advertisement
the sec is very low and every team pads their records with 8-10 gimme wins per year, it’s intentional.

Let's compare Kentucky and Miami to see why they are so far apart despite similar records.

Kentucky's OOC series:
Elon (#60)
Wright State (#83)
Indiana State (#10)
Souther Illinois (#121)

Miami's OOC series:
Penn State (#146)
Dartmouth (#303)
Florida (#5)
Presbyterian (#197)

Not only did they play a much tougher non-conference schedule, they had a better record in those four series, 10-2 to 9-3.

Of course, the post-season separates the men from the boys, anyway. The SEC owns this sport.

Let's compare Kentucky and Miami to see why they are so far apart despite similar records.

Kentucky's OOC series:
Elon (#60)
Wright State (#83)
Indiana State (#10)
Souther Illinois (#121)

Miami's OOC series:
Penn State (#146)
Dartmouth (#303)
Florida (#5)
Presbyterian (#197)

Not only did they play a much tougher non-conference schedule, they had a better record in those four series, 10-2 to 9-3.

Of course, the post-season separates the men from the boys, anyway. The SEC owns this sport.
Good lord man chill out, I was saying why the sec has such high rpis, which is what we were debating, I don’t care about the ACC rpi it has nothing to do with the sec. Are you claiming that the rpi can’t be manipulated by running up records against scrub competition? Do you work for the rpi? I thought this was pretty common knowledge but you do you.

Good lord man chill out, I was saying why the sec has such high rpis, which is what we were debating, I don’t care about the ACC rpi it has nothing to do with the sec. Are you claiming that the rpi can’t be manipulated by running up records against scrub competition? Do you work for the rpi? I thought this was pretty common knowledge but you do you.

You picked the wrong guy and the wrong battle.

Your claim was that the SEC has higher RPIs because they play weaker schedules, thus giving them an inflated record. It took 30 seconds to prove that wrong. And the ACC is absolutely relevant because the claim was that we (Miami, an ACC team) can't catch up because of SEC bias.

If we would either (1) stop playing teams 197 and 303, or (2) win a series against Florida, the RPI would work out just fine.

You picked the wrong guy and the wrong battle.

Your claim was that the SEC has higher RPIs because they play weaker schedules, thus giving them an inflated record. It took 30 seconds to prove that wrong. And the ACC is absolutely relevant because the claim was that we (Miami, an ACC team) can't catch up because of SEC bias.

If we would either (1) stop playing teams 197 and 303, or (2) win a series against Florida, the RPI would work out just fine.
I picked the wrong guy? Lol bro don’t bro me. I never compared the sec and ACC you did that. I only said the sec has inflated rpis because of non conference records, please explain to me how I am wrong? No idea why you keep comparing it to Miami, Miami lost too many games to the top ACC teams with good records, end of story. Not sure what you’re getting so worked up about, again do you work for the rpi and someone put you out of a job during March madness?

Advertisement

The odds is this team winning the tournament are minuscule bc of the pitching. Doesn’t matter when the games are played. I’m the biggest complainer on this board about this program not caring about the ACCT. Yet even I can admit that the best course of action is getting the rest needed for Ziehl to win whichever game that decides our pool. A free roll game in the semis against Wake is only positive. That’s what seals our fate as a likely 11-12 seed. Acting like not having a day off is gonna mean anything when you’re lining up a guy who hasn’t pitched in 2 months, or Rosario, or Gallo, against the best offense in the country is gonna matter, is hilarious.

Last edited:
I picked the wrong guy? Lol bro don’t bro me. I never compared the sec and ACC you did that. I only said the sec has inflated rpis because of non conference records, please explain to me how I am wrong? No idea why you keep comparing it to Miami, Miami lost too many games to the top ACC teams with good records, end of story. Not sure what you’re getting so worked up about, again do you work for the rpi and someone put you out of a job during March madness?

Literally the entire claim was that Miami can't get into the top 8 because of SEC/RPI bias. If you didn't catch that, go back and read from the beginning.

You are wrong because the SEC actually plays some pretty good OOC schedules. You can look all of that up.

Literally the entire claim was that Miami can't get into the top 8 because of SEC/RPI bias. If you didn't catch that, go back and read from the beginning.

You are wrong because the SEC actually plays some pretty good OOC schedules. You can look all of that up.
By the entire claim you mean you and one other persons single post in a 50 post thread? Jesus dude dig your heels in, I’m now 100% sure you got fired when the bpi took over. I’m done arguing, it’s math there’s no debate.

Advertisement
By the entire claim you mean you and one other persons single post in a 50 post thread? Jesus dude dig your heels in, I’m now 100% sure you got fired when the bpi took over. I’m done arguing, it’s math there’s no debate.

Yes, the post I responded to. There was no other discussion about the fairness of the RPI.

Correct, it is math. And it is why the SEC, with their tougher OOC schedules, has more teams at the top than the ACC with our pathetic OOC schedules. Just admit that you're afraid to go over to WarrenNolan to check it out for yourself.

Yes, the post I responded to. There was no other discussion about the fairness of the RPI.

Correct, it is math. And it is why the SEC, with their tougher OOC schedules, has more teams at the top than the ACC with our pathetic OOC schedules. Just admit that you're afraid to go over to WarrenNolan to check it out for yourself.
You’re Warren Nolan aren’t you? Once again for the 5th time, you are comparing the conferences… looking at the Bible it seems to me the ACC is second in non conference sos so again another reason the rpi is garbage and easily manipulated. Let’s take a very simple example since you seem to want to continue this.

Lsu and Florida 23-3 and 22-3 non conf records, both played 17 quad 3 and 4 games. Ones sos is 75 and the other 156, I’m going to go on a limb and say that has a not insubstantial affect on their rpis… you know the difference? Team two played 5 more quad 4 games, please explain to me why playing Nichols instead of Charleston southern makes lsu better than Florida? I’ll hang up and listen.

Advertisement
You’re Warren Nolan aren’t you? Once again for the 5th time, you are comparing the conferences… looking at the Bible it seems to me the ACC is second in non conference sos so again another reason the rpi is garbage and easily manipulated. Let’s take a very simple example since you seem to want to continue this.

Lsu and Florida 23-3 and 22-3 non conf records, both played 17 quad 3 and 4 games. Ones sos is 75 and the other 156, I’m going to go on a limb and say that has a not insubstantial affect on their rpis… you know the difference? Team two played 5 more quad 4 games, please explain to me why playing Nichols instead of Charleston southern makes lsu better than Florida? I’ll hang up and listen.

Yes, still comparing conferences, since that was the entire point. You'll get there, eventually.

You actually just argued against yourself and you don't even realize it. Florida played more quad 4 games (easier games) and thus they have a worse RPI. You've been trying all along to tell us that the SEC loads up on easy wins to boost the RPI. Then, in the example that YOU provide, the team with the easier schedule is ranked lower.

Can't make this up.

Did you just emoji burn me right after trying to big **** me? Are you 12? I’m not arguing, I’m stating facts to someone who has dug in with their employer, arguing implies I intend to change your mind, I’m well past that!

The guy going on about my "employer" is accusing someone of being 12. Right after claiming "I'm done" and then posting six minutes later.

Pure speculation on my part: NC State and UNC get 3 and 7pm on Tuesday, we open with NC State Wednesday at 7pm, and UNC-Virginia is either Thursday or Friday at 7pm depending on the day off preferences of the top seeds. They tend to fill in the schedule from there.
I think a 7pm game suits us just fine. The team needs to come out slugging. NC State will be desperate for a win to improve their resume towards a post season bid.

I think they beat UM in Pool play a few years ago in a similar situation where we were #1 and they needed wins to make it to the post season.

Advertisement
Back