ACC Tournament

No, you proved my point exactly. 10 ACC teams make it to the NCAA tournament. Only 1 wins an ACC title. So, not making it to Omaha is no better than the last ACC team that barely got into the tournament. No distinction.

You can discount it all you want. I guarantee the players are trying to win an ACC tournament title.

You might the only person that cares about an ACCT Title in baseball, especially with how dumb the format is. That's fine, but it should be obvious you're on your own there.

And nobody says our players don't want to win. But I guarantee everyone of them would take a CWS appearance over winning this conference tournament.

Advertisement
You might the only person that cares about an ACCT Title in baseball, especially with how dumb the format is. That's fine, but it should be obvious you're on your own there.

And nobody says our players don't want to win. But I guarantee everyone of them would take a CWS appearance over winning this conference tournament.
If my choice is either ACC title or CWS appearance I obviously would choose CWS but…in almost 20 years our once storied baseball team has 1 ACC baseball title and only 2 ACC title game appearances.

I’d like to win it.

Throw in the fact that in almost 20 years in the conference we have 2 ACC titles in mens sports (1 baseball and 1 basketball) and only 4 championship game appearances across all 3 major sports, I’d like to start winning some of these things.

Last edited:

No. As a former college baseball player, I guarantee you every player wants to win an ACC title. Any player in any conference wants to win their conference championship. No player is thinking, "Let’s just win 2 games and tank the 3rd so we can go home." If you're a competitor, you want win. Period.

The format isn't "dumb" as you put it. Other conferences are looking to duplicate the ACC format because it guarantees that a team is going to play only 4 games at most. This limits the wear on the players especially the pitchers unlike conferences such as the SEC that play a double elimination tournament of 5 games. They will likely move to the pod format when they add Oklahoma and Texas to the conference.

By playing only 4 games, it makes it a normal week for the players as they are used to playing 4 games in a week.

The format also rewards the best teams of the regular season by advancing out of pool play with a tie. This provides an added incentive to win in the regular season.

Most importantly, winning an ACC title will boost UM's national seed from 4-6, to 2-3. If Stanford wins the PAC-12, and UM doesn't win the ACC, Stanford and Oregon State, and VT will be ahead of UM and we move to a 5-7 seed. If Louisville wins the ACC, they likely jump us and we move to a 6-8 national seed if Stanford wins as well.

So, winning the ACC does matter. Aside from the accolades, it could have an impact of 4-5 national seeding places. I'd much rather be a 2-3 seed than a 7-8 seed. The better the seed, the easier the path is to Omaha. The national seeds not only provide an easier path to Omaha, the teams in the CWS are seeded based on the national seed. #1 is going to be Tennessee. I'd much rather face them in the Championship series as a 2-3 seed.

Last edited:
Wednesday’s TV broadcasters (Note: It won’t be broadcast in Florida until 3am. Hopefully, this means they won’t blackout the ACCNX feed vs requiring the Bally Sports App)

Friday’s TV broadcasters

Both games are on ACCNX out of market. The Wake-NC State game tomorrow is also tape delayed until 3am in Florida.
I hate the ACC's clown show TV market. You only have close to 6 million people in South Florida and they're going black out the game because they sold out the conference to a "rag tag" Bally Sports undercutting thier own ACC channel.

What's even worse is that we can't get Bally Sports. Not that I would pay for it. Just shows how stupid they are blocking out the largest conference tv audience that doesn't even have access to the sports channel they sold us out to.

I can watch PAC-12 games easier than I can watch ACC games. Actually, you can watch just about any conference easier than thr ACC.

If anyone besides me wants to let their opinions known about the ACC's tv broadcast, you can get their email addresses of most of the ACC staff on their website.

Last edited:
If my choice is either ACC title of CWS appearance I obviously would choose CWS but…in almost 20 years our once storied baseball team has 1 ACC baseball title and only 2 ACC title game appearances.

I’d like to win it.

Throw in the fact that in almost 20 years in the conference we have 2 ACC titles in mens sports (1 baseball and 1 basketball) and only 4 championship game appearances across all 3 major sports, I’d like to start winning some of these things.

Didn't say I wouldn't like to win it.

But the regular season title actually has meaning, that means you had a great season, that matters. Whatever though, I'm done arguing over it. You're always goalpost shifting anyways

The goal for this program will always be to make the CWS. I've literally never heard a player or coach say otherwise

Advertisement
So, winning the ACC does matter. Aside from the accolades, it could have an impact of 4-5 national seeding places. I'd much rather be a 2-3 seed than a 7-8 seed. The better the seed, the easier the path is to Omaha. The national seeds not only provide an easier path to Omaha, the teams in the CWS are seeded based on the national seed. #1 is going to be Tennessee. I'd much rather face them in the Championship series as a 2-3 seed.

You need to wrap your head around college baseball. There are no "easier" paths to Omaha.

Last year's SEC Tournament: Arkansas won the whole thing and landed the #1 national seed. They promptly lost in the Super Regional to unseeded NC State.

Meanwhile, Vanderbilt and Mississippi State went 1-2 and 0-2 in the SEC Tournament. They met in the National Championship series.

Last year, TCU won the Big 12 Tournament, landing them a national seed. They went 1-2 in their own regional.

Virginia lost in the semi-finals of the ACC Tournament, got a 3-seed in their regional, ended up in Omaha.

No, you proved my point exactly. 10 ACC teams make it to the NCAA tournament. Only 1 wins an ACC title. So, not making it to Omaha is no better than the last ACC team that barely got into the tournament. No distinction.

You can discount it all you want. I guarantee the players are trying to win an ACC tournament title.
What are you trying to prove? That the participation trophy that you get for winning the ACC Tournament means...

No one is saying that the players are not trying to win. That is their job, to go out and play. The coaches also have a job, and, at this point, that job is ensuring that the team is prepared to win next week's regional.

Winning 40 games in the regular season and getting a top 8 national seed is much more important than winning a glorified exhibition (as you conceded, 10 of the 12 teams in the tournament are likely going to a regional, so unless team 11/12 wins the tournament, it's meaningless) in the quest to realize the team's ultimate goal - winning the last game of the year.

In the last 10 years, if you won the ACC Tournament you are more likely to have lost in the Regionals than made it to Omaha.

Advertisement
Mississippi State lost their only two games in the 2021 SEC Tournament by scores of 13-1 and 12-2.

They finished as National Champions.

The tournament isn’t gonna effect our national seed standing much, there’s just not that many teams available that could do enough to pass us.

And we’re not likely going to pass VT, Stanford, or Oregon State. We’re likely to end up at 5-6 no matter how this week goes.

Conference tournaments don’t carry THAT much weight.

Last edited:
The fact that the tournament is in Charlotte only makes it even more meaningless if the canes take care of business in regular season. When it was in jacksonville for the short stint it was an electric atmosphere for canes and nole fans. Was awesome to see the 08 team win the acc because we had a great crowd there and so did the Noles. Now that it’s back in North Carolina I could care less about winning it. Win 2 games and immediately attention should go to regionals.

I never talk about the 08 acc championship, it’s always the let down in Omaha, that’s the standard here. Leave the conference titles to schools that come up short in Omaha like Uf and FSU

Last edited:
I feel like every year the consensus is that the conference tournaments don't carry much weight. Then the selection show happens, and we come back to the board and say, "Man, I can't believe how much weight the committee put into the tournaments this year."

Advertisement
I feel like every year the consensus is that the conference tournaments don't carry much weight. Then the selection show happens, and we come back to the board and say, "Man, I can't believe how much weight the committee put into the tournaments this year."
Huge difference between teams at the top and teams on the bubble. If you’re FSU, UNC, etc, the tourney matters a ton. If you’re Miami and VT, it likely means very little.

You need to wrap your head around college baseball. There are no "easier" paths to Omaha.

Last year's SEC Tournament: Arkansas won the whole thing and landed the #1 national seed. They promptly lost in the Super Regional to unseeded NC State.

Meanwhile, Vanderbilt and Mississippi State went 1-2 and 0-2 in the SEC Tournament. They met in the National Championship series.
Just stop. You don't what you're talking about. The teams are seeded for a reason. The best teams get to play the weaker teams. That's a fact. Can a weaker team beat a stronger team? Yes, but they are still the weaker team.

If Maimi didn't have a good season, they could have wound up in regional against someone like Tennessee. So, stop with this bull**** that they're isn't an easier path because there is. It's designed that way. Just like the basketball tournament where you have 1 vs 16, you have the #1 region vs #16 region and so on down the line.

Just stop. You don't what you're talking about. The teams are seeded for a reason. The best teams get to play the weaker teams. That's a fact. Can a weaker team beat a stronger team? Yes, but they are still the weaker team.

If Maimi didn't have a good season, they could have wound up in regional against someone like Tennessee. So, stop with this bull**** that they're isn't an easier path because there is. It's designed that way. Just like the basketball tournament where you have 1 vs 16, you have the #1 region vs #16 region and so on down the line.

Oh lord.

There is too much parity in college baseball for there to be a difference between playing #11 and #14. We're not talking about playing a #16 seed like Norfolk State in basketball. We're talking about the difference between Georgia and Oklahoma State. Neither one of those is "easier".

As for not knowing what I'm talking about, I have had to inform you how a 4-team bracket works AND that Wake Forest has the best pitcher in the ACC. You're horrendously bad at analyzing postseason baseball.

Advertisement
What are you trying to prove? That the participation trophy that you get for winning the ACC Tournament means...

No one is saying that the players are not trying to win. That is their job, to go out and play. The coaches also have a job, and, at this point, that job is ensuring that the team is prepared to win next week's regional.

Winning 40 games in the regular season and getting a top 8 national seed is much more important than winning a glorified exhibition (as you conceded, 10 of the 12 teams in the tournament are likely going to a regional, so unless team 11/12 wins the tournament, it's meaningless) in the quest to realize the team's ultimate goal - winning the last game of the year.
Obviously you never played the game so it doesn't mean anything to you. Every player in that tournament or any other tournament wants to win. No player is saying, "Let’s just win 2 games and tank the 3rd so we can go home." I guarantee it

On the 2nd part, your complete my wrong. I broke it down in another post in this thread. Winning or not winning the ACC could change the seeding by as much as 5 spots. If Stanford wins the PAC-12 and Louisville wins the ACC, they will move ahead of us in the seeding where we could be bumped to 6-8. If we win the ACC we would move to 2-3. Maybe you don't think it's a big deal, but it is for super regionals and seeding at the CWS. Being a 2-3 seed means being opposite the #1 seed at the CWS. Better to face them in the Championship series than having to beat them Maybe even twice in your bracket.

If Maimi didn't have a good season, they could have wound up in regional against someone like Tennessee. So, stop with this bull**** that they're isn't an easier path because there is. It's designed that way.

We weren't talking about the difference between hosting and being a #2. That's obvious. We're trying to tell you that going all-in to win the ACCT isn't worth the possible bump of one or two spots among the top 8. All that matters is being in the top 8. Half a dozen people are trying to explain this to you.

The fact that the tournament is in Charlotte only makes it even more meaningless if the canes take care of business in regular season. When it was in jacksonville for the short stint it was an electric atmosphere for canes and nole fans. Was awesome to see the 08 team win the acc because we had a great crowd there and so did the Noles. Now that it’s back in North Carolina I could care less about winning it. Win 2 games and immediately attention should go to regionals.

I never talk about the 08 acc championship, it’s always the let down in Omaha, that’s the standard here. Leave the conference titles to schools that come up short in Omaha like Uf and FSU
It's not meaningless to the players and it does affect national seeding. See my other posts.

Obviously you never played the game so it doesn't mean anything to you. Every player in that tournament or any other tournament wants to win. No player is saying, "Let’s just win 2 games and tank the 3rd so we can go home." I guarantee it
He literally wrote in his post that "no one is saying that the players are not trying to win".

Advertisement
Back