ACC Tournament

We choked down the stretch. Just have to keep telling myself that it's going to take time to fix the years of ineptitude.

This team is entering the ACCT a projected Top-8 seed, finished with the 2nd best ACC record, 7th in RPI, 5th or 6th in the polls likely, and that's disappointing to you? They went out and beat a very good ND team this weekend. Not sure how that's choking. They lost road series to NCAAT teams, again, that's not really choking.

The team had a regular season that absolutely lives up to program/fan expectations. Now what really matters starts, but yeah, you're just looking for a reason to be miserable with a comment like that

Advertisement
This team is entering the ACCT a projected Top-8 seed, finished with the 2nd best ACC record, 7th in RPI, 5th or 6th in the polls likely, and that's disappointing to you? They went out and beat a very good ND team this weekend. Not sure how that's choking. They lost road series to NCAAT teams, again, that's not really choking.

The team had a regular season that absolutely lives up to program/fan expectations. Now what really matters starts, but yeah, you're just looking for a reason to be miserable with a comment like that
We are entering game 56 with a very young team. Fatigue is definitely an issue. Ligon's season is all but done as a true freshman. At this point in tournament play, we can hope for maybe 5 innings but we need to be hitting. Even Ziehl's last couple of outings have been brutal.

With the huge flip in rosters this was a very good season.

Advertisement
We are entering game 56 with a very young team. Fatigue is definitely an issue. Ligon's season is all but done as a true freshman. At this point in tournament play, we can hope for maybe 5 innings but we need to be hitting. Even Ziehl's last couple of outings have been brutal.

With the huge flip in rosters this was a very good season.
This team has exceeded my regular season expectations because it's such a young team.

Winning the regional is my expectation. Getting to Omaha is a bonus.

Next year, my expectation is Omaha or bust.

If the committee thing doesn’t work, Palm may not pitch at all. Doesn’t seem like the best strategy.
It's a risk, but you're doing so against a weaker opponent rather than in the sem-final or championship game.

It's a matter of Palmquist pitching in game 2 or 3. Gino probably leans on Palmquist in game 2. We'd have Ligon and Rosario for games 3 and 4. Ligon has been shakey lately. Both he and Rosario should only be expected to go 4-5 innings.

So, it would be heavy bullpen leverage the last 2 games. When I think about it, that's what we've done the last 3 ACC series as Ligon hasn't faired well and Rosario gives us 5 innings at best.

In conclusion I think your right, but I'd really like to have Palmquist for the Semi's.

Advertisement
It's a risk, but you're doing so against a weaker opponent rather than in the sem-final or championship game.

It's a matter of Palmquist pitching in game 2 or 3. Gino probably leans on Palmquist in game 2. We'd have Ligon and Rosario for games 3 and 4. Ligon has been shakey lately. Both he and Rosario should only beexpected to go 4-5 innings.

So, it would be heavy bullpen leverage the last 2 games. When I think a out it, that's what we've done the last 3 ACC series as Ligon hasn't faired well and Rosario give us 5 innings at best.

In conclusion I think your right, but I'd really like to have Palmquist for the Semi's.
I mean, if we don’t advance from our pool and didn’t use a single weekend starter, we would be the biggest idiots on the planet. Only one game matters during the week. Win it.

true-correct.gif

Advertisement
Not bad at all. Hope for an NCST loss on Tuesday and save Palm for Friday (8 days rest for that game and a probable Sat start in regionals).
Should we be rooting for NC State though?

Pros- NC State
- Weaker team, lost 4 out of last five
- Fatigued. Will have played 6 games in 9 days, including back to back days.
- Palm has more days rest for Regionals

Pros- Wake
- Palm in normal Friday spot (8 days rest for that game and a probable Sat start in regionals).

Any other factors?

Wake scares me. They are 11-3-1 in last 15 games.

Advertisement
Should we be rooting for NC State though?

Pros- NC State
- Weaker team, lost 4 out of last five
- Fatigued. Will have played 6 games in 9 days, including back to back days.
- Palm has more days rest for Regionals

Pros- Wake
- Palm in normal Friday spot (8 days rest for that game and a probable Sat start in regionals).

Any other factors?

Wake scares me. They are 11-3-1 in last 15 games.
Knowing Gino is unlikely to start either Palm or Ligon Wednesday, the thought was even if we lose to NCST w Garland or a bullpen game, as long as they lost Tuesday they would have a loss, and we'd need to win Palm's start on Friday to advance.

So, it's pick your poison - is Wake more likely to beat Palm or will a 1 win NCST beat our mid-week guys? I think the latter is more likely in tobacco road.

I could care less about the ACC tourney. I know it matters to some of you, but I think baseball conference titles are pretty much meaningless. I also do understand that how we play determines some of the regional/supers spots and all. I prefer we get healthy and rested. I know it isnt the time of year to be resting, I simply do not value the conference title bc if we get that and miss on regionals or supers, no bueno para me;)

Most of you could say who is pitching well, hitting well, and fielding well along with who is not doing enough. Are any key players that have played this year been shut down due to injury?

Miami baseball is about the post season. Conference title is post season yes, but meaningless as Ive said! If the team is as young as many seem to indicate, wouldnt this regular season have been considered a success?

I could care less about the ACC tourney. I know it matters to some of you, but I think baseball conference titles are pretty much meaningless. I also do understand that how we play determines some of the regional/supers spots and all. I prefer we get healthy and rested. I know it isnt the time of year to be resting, I simply do not value the conference title bc if we get that and miss on regionals or supers, no bueno para me;)

Most of you could say who is pitching well, hitting well, and fielding well along with who is not doing enough. Are any key players that have played this year been shut down due to injury?

Miami baseball is about the post season. Conference title is post season yes, but meaningless as Ive said! If the team is as young as many seem to indicate, wouldnt this regular season have been considered a success?
No argument here, other than what you point out about the Committee placing undue emphasis on the conference tournaments the last couple of years.

Optimal scenario IMO is go 1 - 1 and rest several starters (most importantly Ligon) on Saturday and get ready for regionals. 1 - 2 in ACC tourney considering our regular season, RPI, etc. had better be good enough for a Top 8 national seed or the system is broken.

I don't think many people here actually care about winning the ACC title. It's more about winning enough games to solidify the national seed while hopefully building some momentum for the regionals.

Advertisement
Back