A top notch QB has us "back"

That was my suspicion and what has me feeling so pessimistic about Mario.

Saban saw the light and realized you need a modern day, high scoring offense to compete for a championship

I don’t have a lot of faith Mario subscribed to that notion, and we’ve all gotta come to grips with Mario and his OC hires holding back what Miami football can do

He’s dumb AF for not realizing that youve gotta have a good system and onfield production to win recruiting battles

For as goofy and cringe that Norvell is, he’s gonna continue to beat Mario for QBs and skill guys for these very reasons
I mean, weren't we all laughing at Norvell a few years ago? Everyone needs to chill a bit. Mario may be stubborn but I dont think he is stupid. Again, anyone who doesn't see significant progress, especially from last year, isn't watching. Yeah, we definitely had some disappointments this year, but there is a VAST improvement in areas that we haven't seen in years. O line is nasty...defense is very good. Players on D we thought were not great last year have flipped the narrative on that notion in one short year. I dont care what anyone says...there is progress and more so than I even expected at this point, again, especially after last year which may be the worst year of Canes football Ive ever witnessed

Advertisement
If you watched Houston this looks different. Dawson is 100 percent melding what Mario wants as a scheme.
After A&M we were wondering if Dawson would get a HC gig. It’s crazy the 180 we have seen. I wonder if the GT game ending caused the shake up where the power Dawson had before was neutered.

I mean, weren't we all laughing at Norvell a few years ago? Everyone needs to chill a bit. Mario may be stubborn but I dont think he is stupid. Again, anyone who doesn't see significant progress, especially from last year, isn't watching. Yeah, we definitely had some disappointments this year, but there is a VAST improvement in areas that we haven't seen in years. O line is nasty...defense is very good. Players on D we thought were not great last year have flipped the narrative on that notion in one short year. I dont care what anyone says...there is progress and more so than I even expected at this point, again, especially after last year which may be the worst year of Canes football Ive ever witnessed
Matthew Broderick GIF

I love the “Mario isn’t dumb, there’s no way he won’t see the light” coping.

If Will Muschamp got a HC job tomorrow, he’d run the *exact* same offense that got him twice fired all over again.

Pat Narduzzi hated every single second of Mark Whipple’s open passing attack, despite it taking Pickett to New York and Pitt to the ACC Championship. He ran back to an I-Formation NFL guy who had no history of success, the next season.

Some coaches are just like communists, they truly believe that next time it will work.

Mario has had an elite QB before. He had ELEVEN negative offensive value generated games with him in two years. ELEVEN.

There is no light bulb moment coming for Mario.

There is no savior at QB.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Its what all of marios O coordinators have done.

I dont know why people are shocked.

Look at oregon with Lanning vs Mario. Totally different.
I actually like Dawsons philosophy in general quite a bit. I’m old school I suppose but with our line a power run game that still opens up to passing concepts like we saw against A&M is good for this teams roster given it’s strengths and weaknesses

Dawson “seems” to adapt to personnel where if we landed more studs at WR we would see a different approach

But that’s not what the **** we are seeing right now that’s for sure and it makes me want to throw up

That was my suspicion and what has me feeling so pessimistic about Mario.

Saban saw the light and realized you need a modern day, high scoring offense to compete for a championship

I don’t have a lot of faith Mario subscribed to that notion, and we’ve all gotta come to grips with Mario and his OC hires holding back what Miami football can do

He’s dumb AF for not realizing that youve gotta have a good system and onfield production to win recruiting battles

For as goofy and cringe that Norvell is, he’s gonna continue to beat Mario for QBs and skill guys for these very reasons
It is shocking that Mario was there during Saban’s transformation of offense (Kiffin) and learned nothing from watching that.

This is going to sound a little crazy and maybe hard to accept for some people who anointed Dawson after we blew the doors off Bethune Cookman and Temple, but maybe he sucks?

For reference, see 2015 Kentucky offense and 2016-18 Southern Miss offenses.

Last edited:
Advertisement
The debate isn’t really around whether Miami should run the ball down a team’s throat.

There’s nobody against that.

It’s how you do it that is the question?

Bunching the box and playing lumbering TEs that qualify for Medicare in a slow and methodical pace, is the absolute worst way to effectively run the football and score points.

Which is why Mario has struggled to do so his entire career.

This is going to sound a little crazy and maybe hard to accept for some people who anointed Dawson after we blew the wheels off Bethune Cookman and Temple, but maybe he sucks?

And wasn’t the Houston offense struggling last season before Holgerson supposedly stepped in?

This is going to sound a little crazy and maybe hard to accept for some people who anointed Dawson after we blew the wheels off Bethune Cookman and Temple, but maybe he sucks?

Exactly.

Use whatever analytic system you want. I use F+ because it combines SP+ and FEI. But dealer’s choice.

And then go year by year in which Dawson was the OC.

It’s just nothing but sh*tty offensive rankings.

Which is of course why Mario hired him.

Idk what QB could save you when you have an extra RT playing TE & you have a 5’9” 175lb WR playing in-line on an edge defender… could give us Peyton Manning, if we ran the offense we ran last week chances are we don’t score 25PPG in a season.
I mean the only way it would ever make sense is if you tried to sneak X in there one time and run some sort of boot action with him hitting the opposite flats or something. Maybe we have been setting it up for fsu :ROFLMAO:

Advertisement
Dawson’s’ remarks that he ideally doesn’t want to play the style of play he played last year, should have been the red flag for others it was for me. And I mentioned those comments several times in the offseason.

Last season at Houston was the only success he’s ever had. So he was essentially saying the style of play that for him was his best season ever (in which he had to go more pure Air Raid due to injuries at RB) is actually what he’s opposed to.

It reminded me of Richt at halftime against WVU in the bowl game when Richt was actually upset and apologetic about scoring all those touchdowns in like 5 minutes on offense, because of the style of play that led to them.

Richt would have rather lined up under center with a fullback and ran the ball for 3 yards if he could have, then just knife through teams for TDs going spread with pace and RPO.

And Mario and Dawson think the exact same way.

I can hardly believe Mario micromanaging Dawson after the offensive start we had into the season. Although I am confused as to why we have stopped being diverse in the run game.

To me it's clear whats going on, TVD has been figured out. Dawson probably sees it too and wants to run stuff that works against the looks we're facing, but TVD can't execute it, which leads to Dawson trying to run things that TVD can execute and is comfortable with, but is what the defense is looking for, so Dawson resorts to running the football and trying to get the offense running that way, but it doesn't work. Thats how things have happened over the course of the games since GT.

Mario is the guy keeping TVD in and Dawson very likely is in his ear trying to make a change. If the talk out of Hecht is that Emory is being seen as a 1st rounder, it has to come from somewhere. But Mario didn't want to do that, because the moment you put TVD on the bench, he's gone forever. And if Emory fails, the whole season is done for, which is not a good look on you as a coach and he doesn't want to trust a True Freshman QB doing that.

The most micromanaging I'm seeing here is that Mario is keeping TVD in at QB, beyond that, I think Dawson has the handcuffs on because of the QB. You're very limited in your playcalling if your QB can't make an underneath read.
Dawson is doing NOTHING to make TVDs life easier. Bunch formations, verticals outside the hashes, little/no motion, barely anything across the middle of the field, no screens to the RBs, no tempo, limited RPOs, etc. It’s either the same running plays up the middle, tunnel screens, or verticals to the outside. NC St practically knew what was coming on every play.

TVD thrived in an up-tempo, RPO heavy spread offense under Lashlee. Dawson is doing VERY LITTLE of what we’ve seen work with TVD in the past so miss me with the TVD is handcuffing Dawson nonsense. TVD deserves his fair share of blame for the turnovers and offensive struggles, but it’s incredibly naive to think that he is the only (or primary) problem. The offensive issues run far deeper than just TVD’s struggles.

Advertisement
I love the “Mario isn’t dumb, there’s no way he won’t see the light” coping.

If Will Muschamp got a HC job tomorrow, he’d run the *exact* same offense that got him twice fired all over again.

Pat Narduzzi hated every single second of Mark Whipple’s open passing attack, despite it taking Pickett to New York and Pitt to the ACC Championship. He ran back to an I-Formation NFL guy who had no history of success, the next season.

Some coaches are just like communists, they truly believe that next time it will work.

Mario has had an elite QB before. He had ELEVEN negative offensive value generated games with him in two years. ELEVEN.

There is no light bulb moment coming for Mario.

There is no savior at QB.
boom.gif

This is the tricky part as a fan, we don’t know where the lines of authority are drawn with coaches.

I’m not a big Dawson fan, I thought we could have done better, and definitely needed to get a more high octane spread guy, but In researching Dawson when he was hired, he was very restricted by Stoops while at Kentucky….

Which I think is also happening with Mario

This is the tricky part as a fan, we don’t know where the lines of authority are drawn with coaches.

I’m not a big Dawson fan, I thought we could have done better, and definitely needed to get a more high octane spread guy, but In researching Dawson when he was hired, he was very restricted by Stoops while at Kentucky….

Which I think is also happening with Mario
he was what third on our list? of course we could have done better but even people who are way more familiar with Dawson offenses before he came to UM (on this site we have one who speaks w him) has said this isnt remotely close to what he runs formation wise and personnel wise

Dawson is doing NOTHING to make TVDs life easier. Bunch formations, verticals outside the hashes, little/no motion, barely anything across the middle of the field, no screens to the RBs, no tempo, limited RPOs, etc. It’s either the same running plays up the middle, tunnel screens, or verticals to the outside. NC St practically knew what was coming on every play.

TVD thrived in an up-tempo, RPO heavy spread offense under Lashlee. Dawson is doing VERY LITTLE of what we’ve seen work with TVD in the past so miss me with the TVD is handcuffing Dawson nonsense. TVD deserves his fair share of blame for the turnovers and offensive struggles, but it’s incredibly naive to think that he is the only (or primary) problem. The offensive issues run far deeper than just TVD’s struggles.

Whether it’s Dawson or Mario influencing or limiting Dawson…. I don’t care

Your criticisms are 10000% accurate. The game plan is trash. Way too basic, no creativity and they’re not even trying to outsmart the drop 8 coverages

Advertisement
Back