A top notch QB has us "back"

TVD and Dawson are as confusing as it gets...literally 2 years ago, TVD would have entered the NFL draft if he were eligible as a projected first round pick. Last year, injuries and the worst O in UM history(at least its in the convo) had us questioning if he would even be back. The start of this year, say the first 4 games, had us thinking(well, me at least), that TVD could at the very least be in the Heisman conversation and Dawson and his O were getting high praise, particularly the A&M game. Since then, TVD has thrown 10 of the worst INTs ive ever seen and Dawson seems to have become a little more conservative(alsthough understandable against Clemson). I still believe with the right pieces, Dawson can get us over the top offensively. The U needs to embrace the athletic QB that can run and throw. They do that, and we are having a different conversation...i really believe that. I also(oh god...should I say it) believe Mario will make the right moves to make happen what we are looking for. Some coaches can come in and make an immediate impact. I would argue Mario has with the O line and D. I hesitate to say this, but this time the "its a process" is apt here. I know it is very hard because we have been through way too much BS over the last 20 yrs, but maybe a little patience is the move here. There is no question I could be completely wrong because this program has proved me wrong multiple times, but tell me you dont have at least a feeling of slight hope that hasnt been here in 2 decades. I know I have it

Advertisement
Exactly.... I don't see how ppl are trying to blame play calling. On **** near 95% of tvd's ints, there has been wrs opened that he just completely didn't see or ignored.

Redzone playcalling, sans Texas AM

Zero RB screens
Very little motion
Virtually zero counter moves to compliment the inside zone running game

I’m 50/50 on Dawson, and really want to see him call a full suite of plays without TVD holding him back to cast my final review. If the season ended today my vote would be to find a better OC…. But I know that’s unlikely for many reasons

Nice, so all we need is a Heisman contending QB to be good? What a dream to look forward to.

But lemme ask yall something. If TVD was so incompetent and such a massive issue, why didn't Mario get a portal QB?

The same reason all the decent WRs passed on us

Nice, so all we need is a Heisman contending QB to be good? What a dream to look forward to.

But lemme ask yall something. If TVD was so incompetent and such a massive issue, why didn't Mario get a portal QB?
20231107_194901.gif

Advertisement

Uhhhh, I dont know many of the top teams that dont have one of the country's top QBs

Advertisement
Something is clearly going on with the play calling IMO. Whether it's TVD, Mario micromanaging or Dawson blowing his load early in the year... we're not seeing the same plays and concepts.

Or maybe I'm trippin'.
You're not trippin'.... It's a multitude of things that are just playing off each other in a really negative way right now....

Our D, O line and K are A+ with no signs of getting worse next year. Every other position is serviceable other than QB right now. Washington plucked Penix from Indiana. If he was on this team, we are probably 9-0, definitely no worse than 8-1 and the FSU line this weekend would be no more than -3. Sucks, but I see vast improvement from last year(not a high bar, i know, but it is a visible difference).
For this year I think that's true. A good QB would have probably had us 8-1 or 9-0 but not sure I agree with the comment about no signs of getting worse. If it's a typical offseason then I expect a mass exodus to the draft and some key guys transfer due to playing time frustration so OL and some D spots could def be question marks or unproven. Likely losses of Cohen, Lee, and possibly Rivers would drastically change the OL outlook. And then you lose guys like Kam, JW, LT, JHH, a couple corners and the D all the sudden has brand new starters at key positions. All that being said, I hope a few of those borderline NFL guys return and the majority of the young guys stick around bc the schedule next yr looks very favorable

Advertisement
Dawson at this point is not the issue, I'd like a little more creative running scheme. But, our running game is not an issue. It's Van Dyke being a turnover machine, dude has literally sucked the life out of our offense. We’ve had open receivers, Van Dyke can't see or throws into double coverage every single time on a pass over 10 yards. I don't see how you could dial up deep passes with a guy playing like this. I'd like Smith and Ray Ray to get action as well. But let's look at the actual elephant in the room its Van Dyke.

Something is clearly going on with the play calling IMO. Whether it's TVD, Mario micromanaging or Dawson blowing his load early in the year... we're not seeing the same plays and concepts.

Or maybe I'm trippin'.
I can hardly believe Mario micromanaging Dawson after the offensive start we had into the season. Although I am confused as to why we have stopped being diverse in the run game.

To me it's clear whats going on, TVD has been figured out. Dawson probably sees it too and wants to run stuff that works against the looks we're facing, but TVD can't execute it, which leads to Dawson trying to run things that TVD can execute and is comfortable with, but is what the defense is looking for, so Dawson resorts to running the football and trying to get the offense running that way, but it doesn't work. Thats how things have happened over the course of the games since GT.

Mario is the guy keeping TVD in and Dawson very likely is in his ear trying to make a change. If the talk out of Hecht is that Emory is being seen as a 1st rounder, it has to come from somewhere. But Mario didn't want to do that, because the moment you put TVD on the bench, he's gone forever. And if Emory fails, the whole season is done for, which is not a good look on you as a coach and he doesn't want to trust a True Freshman QB doing that.

The most micromanaging I'm seeing here is that Mario is keeping TVD in at QB, beyond that, I think Dawson has the handcuffs on because of the QB. You're very limited in your playcalling if your QB can't make an underneath read.

Advertisement
Y’all saying our defense is fixed because the offenses we’ve played recently NC State, UVA, and Clemson lol.

…Remember UNC? Yeah, FSU is going to look closer to that than what the last 3 weeks showed. Louisville too.
Definitely haven’t faced a real test on defense and when we did they rushed for 235. But i do think guidry has shown the ability to put a good gameplan together and adjust in game.

He seems to have more in his toolbox than dawson

Or maybe I'm trippin'.
It directly falls on Mario's lap, one way or another. It's HIS responsibility to iron things out. At 8 million a yr, it's time to earn your money, which he hasn't in 2yrs.

Advertisement
Back