A SoCal HS coach flat out admits the SEC and OSU pays kids... (now, with school names included)...

On why the top Cali kids don't sign with Pac-12 schools:

Coach 7: The biggest thing is they want to play for a national title. I don’t think the talent at the national level is as spread out as it used to be. I think the youth sports side of it has already done the high school’s job for them … all the private schools are fighting like crazy to get these players. They’ve already done the tryouts and they’re flying across the country playing the best teams from Georgia and Florida. I think they want that same thing in college. Unfortunately, they feel like the Pac-12 isn’t getting it done like Ohio State, Clemson, Alabama, LSU and Georgia. The fact of the matter, they’re getting better deals. Except for maybe one program in the Pac-12, they aren’t cheating as much. Are they gonna jump in the dirty water to compete or not?

eye pool GIF by audreyobscura
Wait what? Kids get paid? You don’t say. Smdh

Advertisement
Outside of the highly ranked kids that go to SEC/Big 10 schools, the vast majority of Cali kids stay local and play in the PAC-12/Mountain West.

USC/UCLA/Oregon & the rest are falling off because Cali kids are overrated & don't really produce, imagine a state full of Orlando area kids. Also the coaching out there is suspect as ****
Orlando area kids??? We got ballers around here!

Except Arizona State is playing dirty the last 2 years....and mid 2000s Oregon was bag dropping across texas and elsewhere.

USC also got caught with Reggie Bush and others obviously.

The talent level on the west coast is just falling honestly...

It aint like a ton of cali kids are headed to southern schools really.
I think the talent is the same as it always has been… there’s never been (to my knowledge) multiple top contending out west teams at the same time…

Meaning like the 60/70s we’re dominated by USC, 80s we’re a wash with talent spread like Elway at Stanford, 90s saw UCLA take a ride to the top before USC dominated the 2000s and then let Oregon buy their way to the top as they stumbled with bad hires like us.

too diluted to have any team look halfway decent

I think the talent is the same as it always has been… there’s never been (to my knowledge) multiple top contending out west teams at the same time…

Meaning like the 60/70s we’re dominated by USC, 80s we’re a wash with talent spread like Elway at Stanford, 90s saw UCLA take a ride to the top before USC dominated the 2000s and then let Oregon buy their way to the top as they stumbled with bad hires like us.

too diluted to have any team look halfway decent

Cal had some good teams with the likes of Aaron Rodgers, Marshawn Lynch, Jahvid Best, Shane Vereen, JJ Arrington, Desean Jackson, etc.. I remember when Best ran all over our @$$e$ in the bowl game that one year.

Last edited:
Advertisement
True, but I don't think we would've had the same success with Kelly even though He was more talented than Dorsey. Dorsey was the perfect fit for our offense, while the offense always seemed off with Kelly in there.
I think it was the perfect timing for Dorsey and the talent started to mature. Well that's my opinion on it....I just think in cfb u can have a savage squad like bama and a decent qb and win. Even a 7th round qb can win with that much talent. With the Canes of 00-02 u had to be royally bad to fuq that up. Bama made qbs look better than what they were for years.....since Hurts now they are starting to get the qb position right and that's scary. The Young kid is beyond legit

Ya know what's funny...

I heard (from a buddy of mine who's very close to recruiting) that UF (as well as some other schools) feel this exact way about Miami kids.
They have inflated egos. I’ve said this since I’ve been on the board and y’all would scoff at me. I go to these camps and I know coach that run camps and get to see these kids in person. These kids have an ego issue and think just because they play SFL HS football they’ll make it.

Advertisement
Heard this from Brennan Carroll years ago when he was recruiting coordinator here. Said that the bag game was night and day different comparing SoCal to sofla and southeast in general.

but still, surprised that Cali kids aren’t splashing more nationally. Frankly, im surprised UCLA and USC have sucked for so long.
"Said that the bag game was night and day different comparing SoCal to sofla and southeast in general."

This isn't surprising at all. Actually very simple when you think about. SoCal and West Coast is business money, similar to Miami/SoFla.....Southeast is what you call "Old Money"...that's the money that's been passed along generation after generation from, shall we say, how our country was "built". And I'm not going into specifics on what I mean because historically we're all smart enough to know what it is, but this isn't the forum to discuss that. I just wanted to make it clear what I meant when I said "Old Money". The SEC and Old Money go hand in hand, from the standpoint of funding etc....that's why no other conference can touch the SECs bag game. SEC funds are like Founding Father's funds when it comes to what catapulted the US economic system to the top of the pecking order way back when. Lol can't compete with that....that's why they say it's one thing to be rich, but it's a completely different ballgame to be wealthy.

"Said that the bag game was night and day different comparing SoCal to sofla and southeast in general."

This isn't surprising at all. Actually very simple when you think about. SoCal and West Coast is business money, similar to Miami/SoFla.....Southeast is what you call "Old Money"...that's the money that's been passed along generation after generation from, shall we say, how our country was "built". And I'm not going into specifics on what I mean because historically we're all smart enough to know what it is, but this isn't the forum to discuss that. I just wanted to make it clear what I meant when I said "Old Money". The SEC and Old Money go hand in hand, from the standpoint of funding etc....that's why no other conference can touch the SECs bag game. SEC funds are like Founding Father's funds when it comes to what catapulted the US economic system to the top of the pecking order way back when. Lol can't compete with that....that's why they say it's one thing to be rich, but it's a completely different ballgame to be wealthy.

There’s different kinds of old money in the south, but yes, I would say a some of it, is especially in places like Alabama is what I would call plantation money

Mac Jones is Dorsey….

NFL teams were so starved for a savior they took a dude who legit realized all he needed to do was get the ball to his playmakers in 1st round WRs, a 1st round RB and sit behind an Oline that will have 1st rounders

“On the East Coast, football is a cultural experience. In the Midwest, it’s a form of cannibalism. On the West Coast, it’s a tourist attraction. And in the South, football is religion, and Saturday is the holy day.” - Marino Casem

The West has more money, but not even remotely the same passion for the game. It’s always been that way and it always will. The unchecked bag game has perpetuated a monopoly by the same 5 or so schools and it’s impact trickles down to now that’s where recruits from Cali and elsewhere want to go. The only way this will stop is with enforcement against bags. NIL may make a dent, but don’t kid yourself and think it will rival the big bags. It won’t.

Advertisement
original.

Your lack of accurate info is stunning: Ex.

The best player for the Canes last year, Jaelyn Phillips, is from Cali.

Starting QBs at Bama, Georgia and Clemson this year are from Cali.

The best RB in the country last year was from Cali, Bama’s Najeh Harris

The best LB transfer this year is also from Cali, now at Bama. Henry To’o To’o.

Your original post post was inaccurate and bogus. Live with it.
Not to mention San Diego county and Bay Area have lots of talent and Orange County and the LA area have some of the best high school Football teams in the country

Mac Jones is Dorsey….

NFL teams were so starved for a savior they took a dude who legit realized all he needed to do was get the ball to his playmakers in 1st round WRs, a 1st round RB and sit behind an Oline that will have 1st rounders
yea it's not hard to complete passes to receivers running open by 10-15 yds every play and it's not hard to run behind a oline of all americans...its why all these Bama QB's and alot of their RB's end up as sht in the NFL...

Not to mention San Diego county and Bay Area have lots of talent and Orange County and the LA area have some of the best high school Football teams in the country
It continues with the class of ‘22. Two of best SoCal QBs (both 4 stars) have committed to schools outside of California. AJ Duffy (just transferred to IMG) has committed to FSU while Maalik Murphy (Serra of Gardena) has committed to Texas to play for Sark. Canes had offered both of them.

Advertisement
It continues with the class of ‘22. Two of best SoCal QBs (both 4 stars) have committed to schools outside of California. AJ Duffy (just transferred to IMG) has committed to FSU while Maalik Murphy (Serra of Gardena) has committed to Texas to play for Sark. Canes had offered both of them.

Five-star CA quarterback Malachi Nelson commits to Oklahoma over USC, Alabama

July 18, 2021

Five-star quarterback Malachi Nelson has committed to Oklahoma, he announced on Sunday.

The No. 5 overall recruit in the Class of 2023, by 247Sports' Composite Rating, was also considering hometown school USC as well as Alabama, Arizona and Arizona State. The Los Alamitos, Calif., prospect is the top-ranked player in California.

What losing Nelson means for USC

Antonio Morales, USC beat writer: It’s another five-star quarterback from Southern California who got away from the Trojans — following in the footsteps of Bryce Young (Alabama) and D.J Uiagalelei (Clemson).

USC's fan base will always wonder “What if?” regarding the likes of Young and Nelson — two quarterbacks USC was in the driver’s seat for who went to out-of-state powers.

Is this new to some of yall;...

Cali qbs have been eaving that statesince before iw as born.

Where the **** is the rest of the talent in their state and at other positions. We alll know about their QB talent for decades....for the most part some of the other posters are right for as big as a a state it is...they have some overrated talent for sure....they are definately behind Florida..likely behind Texas...and other states yearly are creeping up on their supposed big 3 status when it comes to high school players and hs teams.

For example these Georgia qbs of recent...talent wise are better than whats coming out of there.

Is this new to some of yall;...

Cali qbs have been eaving that statesince before iw as born.

Where the **** is the rest of the talent in their state and at other positions. We alll know about their QB talent for decades....for the most part some of the other posters are right for as big as a a state it is...they have some overrated talent for sure....they are definately behind Florida..likely behind Texas...and other states yearly are creeping up on their supposed big 3 status when it comes to high school players and hs teams.

For example these Georgia qbs of recent...talent wise are better than whats coming out of there.
Two observations:

Cali QBs leaving the state reflects the modern reality that USC, UCLA, Stanford and Cal are not now competitive on the national playoff scheme. Ever since Pete Carroll left USC, the Cali schools have lost their national stature.

In addition, the cultural trends in Cali (not an SEC atmosphere) and change in ethnic mix towards growing Asian and Hispanic populations has reduced the supply of top high school football talent. Ex. Long Beach Poly was famous for many years as the top producer of NFL talent among all US high schools. No more. Poly is now 50% Hispanic, 20% Asian and just 15% Black. This mix seriously reduces the pool for football talent.

Impact. There is enough football talent in Cali to supply a bunch of colleges. But, you gotta find it and recruit it aggressively. TheCanes have landed J Phillips, K Smith and J Garcia in the last 3 cycles. Great job. hope we can continue to mine this state for top talent!

Two observations:

Cali QBs leaving the state reflects the modern reality that USC, UCLA, Stanford and Cal are not now competitive on the national playoff scheme. Ever since Pete Carroll left USC, the Cali schools have lost their national stature.

In addition, the cultural trends in Cali (not an SEC atmosphere) and change in ethnic mix towards growing Asian and Hispanic populations has reduced the supply of top high school football talent. Ex. Long Beach Poly was famous for many years as the top producer of NFL talent among all US high schools. No more. Poly is now 50% Hispanic, 20% Asian and just 15% Black. This mix seriously reduces the pool for football talent.

Impact. There is enough football talent in Cali to supply a bunch of colleges. But, you gotta find it and recruit it aggressively. TheCanes have landed J Phillips, K Smith and J Garcia in the last 3 cycles. Great job. hope we can continue to mine this state for top talent!
Yea i dont mind stealing a guy every other class while there teams are down in s.cal and sandiego area.

Th ebay area has some sleeper talent to..but getting guys to head this far east is tough

Advertisement
Back