A SoCal HS coach flat out admits the SEC and OSU pays kids... (now, with school names included)...

Advertisement
Heard this from Brennan Carroll years ago when he was recruiting coordinator here. Said that the bag game was night and day different comparing SoCal to sofla and southeast in general.

but still, surprised that Cali kids aren’t splashing more nationally. Frankly, im surprised UCLA and USC have sucked for so long.
Would love to know what Brennan would have said about how the SEC-OSU-Clemson bag game compared to UM and how we were affected and how we tried to cope with it. This question goes to the core issue of how much of a chance we will have to ever compete again for elite status.

Well if Urban teaches the fundamentals so well, why did Tebow have such horrible passing mechanics after 4 years in a P5 program?...and why did the Broncos have to go to a Pop Warner offense after Tebow took over?

Why did Meyer throw His cellphone after Ramon Buchanan flipped to The U?

Why did Meyer look $h!t faced after an O-Lineman from STA reinforced His commitment to The U?

Why did a Miami defense full of freshmen give His Florida offense all they could handle in 08'?

Why did His ACs blow $600 at a strip club in Miami on a recruiting visit?

TBH, Meyer's comment about South Florida coaches has a lot of racist undertones.
Unfortunately, this seems to be similar to a huge problem we faced in the ‘80’s. During Jimmy Johnson’s time at UM, we had a lot of our top targets bring very weak academics. Sometimes it was a test score, more often it was very weak grades. We backed off a lot of kids we wanted to sign. Sometimes they ended up as Prop 48’s, and JJ decided to stop taking them, because they were too big a problem. They ended up on campus, but they couldn’t play. I don’t even think they were allowed to practice. JJ ended up saying, after a few years of taking Prop 48s, that he would not take anymore. After a few years of having signing day disappointments with kids not qualifying, JJ adjusted his recruiting strategy and deciding to move emphasis beyond just South Florida. He said after a fairly successful signing day, “We just had to go on up the road.”

I could write paragraphs about our recruiting problems over academics. I do remember some of the kids we moved off of, and many, perhaps the preponderance, were Dade County kids. In discussions with some South Florida friends who were big UM supporters, and pretty well-informed people, they attributed a lot of it to poor public schools in Dade, but also a lot of it was the kids. One friend of mine who had children go through the public schools said it was not necessarily that the kids were not smart enough, but that they were not motivated enough.

The Johnson coaching staff also reportedly said at the time that they liked the Texas kids because they were so “well-schooled,” implying that they were more ready to play college ball. Remember that our emphasis on Texas increased after Johnson and staff arrived in Miami.

Draw your own conclusions.

Advertisement
Well if Urban teaches the fundamentals so well, why did Tebow have such horrible passing mechanics after 4 years in a P5 program?...and why did the Broncos have to go to a Pop Warner offense after Tebow took over?

Why did Meyer throw His cellphone after Ramon Buchanan flipped to The U?

Why did Meyer look $h!t faced after an O-Lineman from STA reinforced His commitment to The U?

Why did a Miami defense full of freshmen give His Florida offense all they could handle in 08'?

Why did His ACs blow $600 at a strip club in Miami on a recruiting visit?

TBH, Meyer's comment about South Florida coaches has a lot of racist undertones.
I will glady take one of his three national titles.

At FU, he had to recruit South Florida.

As for Tebow, Dorsey was a ****ting pro, too. Both were terrific college players within their systems.

Bama carpetbags defensive backs and receivers. Add in running backs for Georgia and other big time programs. They covet South Florida skilled kids.

As for coaching, obviously there are some great ones. But there has been high school free agency for decades. The great programs just decimate every other high school in South Florida. Think about schools with a dozen or two legitimate Division 1 athletes. Competent coaching in many cases is good enough.

Outside of the highly ranked kids that go to SEC/Big 10 schools, the vast majority of Cali kids stay local and play in the PAC-12/Mountain West.

USC/UCLA/Oregon & the rest are falling off because Cali kids are overrated & don't really produce, imagine a state full of Orlando area kids. Also the coaching out there is suspect as ****
Oregon has 6 kids from TX committed this cycle

The ironic part is that 3 of Urb's best players at OSU were from Pembroke Pines & Lauderdale Lakes

People here lump PBC, Broward and Dade all together, but the counties are recruited very differently. Broward is probably the most contested recruting area in the country. A lot of top schools see Dade kids as headaches and lay off compared to Broward, and PBC.

People here lump PBC, Broward and Dade all together, but the counties are recruited very differently. Broward is probably the most contested recruting area in the country. A lot of top schools see Dade kids as headaches and lay off compared to Broward, and PBC.

Ya know what's funny...

I heard (from a buddy of mine who's very close to recruiting) that UF (as well as some other schools) feel this exact way about Miami kids.

Advertisement
Unfortunately, this seems to be similar to a huge problem we faced in the ‘80’s. During Jimmy Johnson’s time at UM, we had a lot of our top targets bring very weak academics. Sometimes it was a test score, more often it was very weak grades. We backed off a lot of kids we wanted to sign. Sometimes they ended up as Prop 48’s, and JJ decided to stop taking them, because they were too big a problem. They ended up on campus, but they couldn’t play. I don’t even think they were allowed to practice. JJ ended up saying, after a few years of taking Prop 48s, that he would not take anymore. After a few years of having signing day disappointments with kids not qualifying, JJ adjusted his recruiting strategy and deciding to move emphasis beyond just South Florida. He said after a fairly successful signing day, “We just had to go on up the road.”

I could write paragraphs about our recruiting problems over academics. I do remember some of the kids we moved off of, and many, perhaps the preponderance, were Dade County kids. In discussions with some South Florida friends who were big UM supporters, and pretty well-informed people, they attributed a lot of it to poor public schools in Dade, but also a lot of it was the kids. One friend of mine who had children go through the public schools said it was not necessarily that the kids were not smart enough, but that they were not motivated enough.

The Johnson coaching staff also reportedly said at the time that they liked the Texas kids because they were so “well-schooled,” implying that they were more ready to play college ball. Remember that our emphasis on Texas increased after Johnson and staff arrived in Miami.

Draw your own conclusions.

Although it doesn't mention Prop 48, here's an interesting article on JJ's 2nd recruiting class at Miami. I didn't know that Eric Metcalf was once committed to Miami:

The ironic part is that in the age of mercenaries there are kids playing all over the 3 counties. We got Muck kids at Palmetto, Florida City kids at MNW, Overtown kids at Heritage, Richmond Heights kids at Miramar etc. The only thing coaches do being prejudiced like that is hold back opportunities for kids trying to make a way out

True Boomers believe bags are nonsense as much as they believe COVID is a deadly plague.

I think there is still a bit of a hangover from 2020 when 8 of the 9 top players in CA (89%) left the state, including two to UGA, the #1 player in CA (and the US to some) to Bama, the #3 player in CA to Clemson, and #4 to OSU. That's 56% of the top 9 "going east or south." Especially since two of those guys were potentially program elevating QB's.

I mean, 5x as many kids went to the east and south as stayed in state at USC, UCLA, CAL, Stanford, etc. COMBINED. Doesn't even include Oregon, Utah and Washington each picking one off too. The CA schools were pretty shook from that.

View attachment 149825
No Justin Flowe still hurts. We needed him bad. **** still need him. We really played 2020 with Jennings and McCloud. Like HTF did we nit fall into something at LB.

Advertisement
Although it doesn't mention Prop 48, here's an interesting article on JJ's 2nd recruiting class at Miami. I didn't know that Eric Metcalf was once committed to Miami:

Not exactly a **** South Florida class either.

How many top Dade kids get poached by STA and AH?

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back