A quote about Bubba from B Jackson (and one about Brevin)

See U GIF by swerk

Advertisement
People are going to compare Brevin to Evan Engram due to the measurable's. But Evan was a much much much better prospect coming out of college. He got drafted late in the first and to this point has been a disappointment.
  • Evan Engram caught for 950 yards his last year in college. Brevin has slightly over 1,000 total yards in 3 seasons!
  • Engram ran a 4.42 40 in the combine. Idk what Brevin runs but doubt it's that good.
  • Engram played 10+ games each year after his Freshmen year. Brevin is about to have a career low in games played after his junior year.
Ain't nobody giving Brevin a 1st round grade. 2nd round grade seems like an insane stretch to me as well...sh*t maybe even 3rd round grade is a stretch. Dude would be absolutely nuts to declare.
Evan Ingram played exclusively out wide in college. He wasnt inline or an hback like brevin. I agree with everything else.

Bolden IMO is a poor man's Justin Simmons, without the explosiveness & Ball skills.

Simmons was a 3rd rounder coming out of BC, Bolden IMO if he declared after this season would be a 5-7th rounder at best. But I'm not gonna lie, there's a part of me that doesn't mind him declaring because I want our staff to not always have the crutch of using upperclassmen as an excuse to keep from developing young talent.

We're deep AF at Safety & will be even deeper next year, makes no sense to have all that talent sitting on the bench for 3 years while the staff hides behind Portal transfers.

Brevin will get drafted higher than people think, Miami's cache & respect as a TE producing school combined with his combine performance will be enough to get him selected between rounds 2-3.

At this point, I don't actually care who declares early, if this staff can't do their job & replenish those spots with developed recruited players then that's on them.

All the bellyaching fans do about players leaving early just let's the coaching staff off the hook, winning programs lose players to the draft & have to replace guys every single year, the staff needs to handle their business & do what they get paid to do, all this crying & excuse making every offseason is the work of mediocrity, greatness finds a way to get it done despite the challenges set in front of them.
We are deep at safety?

Advertisement
Players need a reason to stay and keeping players is a problem at every school, not just Miami.

It is easy to decide to stay at Clemson or Bama…though many don’t. But who wants to come back for a 6 or 7 win program vs coming back with a chance to win big.

You can get a degree anytime. You have your entire life to get an education. It is ridiculous to think you have but this one year to get it or all is lost.

Staying to improve your draft status to the first or second round is the only reason to stay. If you are not going to improve to the first or second round then the math and the money is not in your favor. In most cases If not getting drafted in round 1 or 2 then a player’s likelihood of making a team is improved more by leaving than it is to stay another year of college.

• A player can make 150K a year playing on a practice squad for just the season. And league minimum if picked up. Beats delivering pizza.
  • He has the chance to be picked up by a team beginning, middle or end of a season.
  • He works out with professionals.
  • Has professional trainers.
  • Makes professional contacts which leads to a better opportunity to get a football related job if nothing else works out.

These people who say players should stay just do not understand, have never played and lack understanding. There is more to it than just, if you stay you improve and get drafted. Also, your stats in college football are meaningless. The NFL has a pretty good idea if you have talent or not. You don’t need to score 50TDs to get noticed.

Add the risk of injury….. And before you say it….Schools are only going to dish out insurance for top picks…not 6 rounders.

In the real world players think of their long-term livelihood and the dream to play pro ball. They are not sticking around to play on a losing college teams if they don’t have to. You have a chance to play with, practice with and be with professionals all while playing the professional game in some manner. It is their dream. Their dream since they were a kid....how long would you put off on your life dream.

I’m not saying every players should leave but every player needs to make his own decision and it is not an automatic mistake to leave. If a players decides to leave…God bless him and I hope it all works out.

Advertisement
I was really surprised when Brevin committed, the #1 or #2 TE in the nation, high 4 star, from all the way out in Vegas. He kind of reminds me of DJ Williams, who came from Cali but reps the Canes as much as anyone. He easily could have opted out of the season and decided to put all his focus and energy into training for the combine, but he seemed to be all in for playing the season. TE is a real physical position, spending time blocking defensive ends and doing a lot of receiving work over the middle, I look at players who stay healthy as the exception and not the rule (look at all the TEs in the NFL this year). This multiple week break will certainly benefit some and I think Brevin primarily could be a huge beneficiary. He gets some extra time to get his body right and go all out for however many games remain. I think if he stays healthy for let's say 3 more games and just has solid play with maybe 1 splash game (something like 7 catches 94 yards 1 td) it could be enough to send a reminder to scouts about his talent. I think even with the Canes bias, everyone realizes the 1st round is out the door. He'd have to come back, stay healthy all year and post something like 40+ catches 800+ yards and 8+ TDs, run sub 4.6 and jump 35+ in the vert. If I were a franchise the only way I'd spend a 1st round pick on a TE is if I believe I might get Kelce, Kittle or maybe Waller, which is why Kyle Pitts is probably the only 1st rounder. I've seen a lot of Jonnu Smith comps for Brevin, but I also see Gerald Everett. And you don't spend a 1st or even 2nd round pick on Jonnu/Gerald.

I personally think he should declare to get his pro career started and besides, I'm good with Mallory being TE1 and acting as the bridge to the next group.

On a semi-related note, anyone care to guess what kind of testing numbers Brevin might post? I hope he doesn't end up something like 6'1 1/2" / 240 lbs / 30" vert / 4.7 but closer to Everett or Jonnu. Regardless, he's going to need a good combine.

There's just no reason to stay if you can get drafted.

Unless, you know, you like playing ball for free with the added responsibility of keeping up with college coursework
What if by staying you could meaningfully improve your draft position?

Love all the kids but dgaf if they bounce to the league. Except one man that is. the King. I’ll even say a prayer for that ninja to stick around one more year.

It needs to be pointed out that kids can come back and finish their degree once their NFL career ends.

They still don’t have to pay for it later, and that’s why they leave after 3 years because they know they can just come back if the NFL doesn’t work out.
While being accurate this only tells a portion of what that entails. Coming back only the tuition is covered which means while they are going to school to finish they most likely will need to work a full time job to pay for rent, food, entertainment, etc. Probably also miss out on the academic support afforded to a student athlete.

Last edited:
Advertisement
As it stands now...both of these MIGHT drafted in the LAST round.

I don't understand where these guys come to Miami...have some above average moments and leave.

Safety and TE are the least of our worries. We should be worried about positions where we can’t afford to lose guys early to the league.

It needs to be pointed out that kids can come back and finish their degree once their NFL career ends.

They still don’t have to pay for it later, and that’s why they leave after 3 years because they know they can just come back if the NFL doesn’t work out.
Correct which is great, but this just covers tuition and they’ll no longer get housing, meals, monthly stipend. For a guy who “makes it” in the league it doesn’t matter but can be daunting for a guy who maybe bounces around on p squad or doesn’t make it at all like many of our recent underclassmen that bet on themselves and left early

Advertisement
Manny's biggest off season sell job is getting this whole team to come back and stack the recruiting class on top

I was really surprised when Brevin committed, the #1 or #2 TE in the nation, high 4 star, from all the way out in Vegas. He kind of reminds me of DJ Williams, who came from Cali but reps the Canes as much as anyone. He easily could have opted out of the season and decided to put all his focus and energy into training for the combine, but he seemed to be all in for playing the season. TE is a real physical position, spending time blocking defensive ends and doing a lot of receiving work over the middle, I look at players who stay healthy as the exception and not the rule (look at all the TEs in the NFL this year). This multiple week break will certainly benefit some and I think Brevin primarily could be a huge beneficiary. He gets some extra time to get his body right and go all out for however many games remain. I think if he stays healthy for let's say 3 more games and just has solid play with maybe 1 splash game (something like 7 catches 94 yards 1 td) it could be enough to send a reminder to scouts about his talent. I think even with the Canes bias, everyone realizes the 1st round is out the door. He'd have to come back, stay healthy all year and post something like 40+ catches 800+ yards and 8+ TDs, run sub 4.6 and jump 35+ in the vert. If I were a franchise the only way I'd spend a 1st round pick on a TE is if I believe I might get Kelce, Kittle or maybe Waller, which is why Kyle Pitts is probably the only 1st rounder. I've seen a lot of Jonnu Smith comps for Brevin, but I also see Gerald Everett. And you don't spend a 1st or even 2nd round pick on Jonnu/Gerald.

I personally think he should declare to get his pro career started and besides, I'm good with Mallory being TE1 and acting as the bridge to the next group.

On a semi-related note, anyone care to guess what kind of testing numbers Brevin might post? I hope he doesn't end up something like 6'1 1/2" / 240 lbs / 30" vert / 4.7 but closer to Everett or Jonnu. Regardless, he's going to need a good combine.
Well said. As a fan I think he should stay. He plays his *** off and has never been a problem here in 3 years. Sucks he can’t stay healthy otherwise he’d be the best tight end in the country and a sure first rounder.

In a previous post I said I wouldn’t touch him this year if I was a GM due to his inability to stay on the field. Not knocking the kid, it’s just the truth but that’s why I’m not a GM lol. If he gets a grade of 3rd round or higher then I think he should go. Test well, stay healthy, get paid. I am curious to know who will stay and who will go but we will find that out after we win the next 4 games.

Might wanna take a look at the avg length of career in the NFL. I think being a graduate from UM could pay off when most are under 30 and out of football. It might start to make sense...

Go Canes!
Doyo you're in violation of CIS standards. You come on here "making sense" which is clearly a "no=no".

While being accurate this only tells a portion of what that entails. Coming back only the tuition is covered which means while they are going to school to finish while they most like work a full time job to pay for rent, food, entertainment, etc. Probably also miss out on the academic support afforded to a student athlete.
Correct which is great, but this just covers tuition and they’ll no longer get housing, meals, monthly stipend. For a guy who “makes it” in the league it doesn’t matter but can be daunting for a guy who maybe bounces around on p squad or doesn’t make it at all like many of our recent underclassmen that bet on themselves and left early
Yes this is correct. I’m not saying whether I’m an advocate of it or not cuz I see both sides, I’m just saying for those on here who are unaware and can’t believe that players would pass up getting their degree, this is a big part of players’ justification for leaving early.

Advertisement
Back