A quote about Bubba from B Jackson (and one about Brevin)

Practice squad guys can make up to 150K for just the season. I think they will be fine.
Very small amount of practice squad players are able to stick all season. It’s basically a revolving door depending on a team’s needs each week. I’d say Trajan Bandy did himself a huge disservice by spending the majority of the season sitting at home

Advertisement
I don't think it is always about bad advice. And just to be clear it can be up to 150K for 17 weeks...some team may only pay you 100K.

If you are a Jr thinking about leaving you have to factor everything. What do you think your draft status will be after another year vs. being a late round pick and maybe undrafted. What are your options after being undrafted.

If a player thinks staying is not going to help you much as a late pick then why stay? We can be critical of these agents, etc., but the advice is real. Do you want to stay vs. this is your your path...as difficult as it may be.
If a player doesn’t think he can improve his stock by coming back, then I don’t want him back because he’s a loser.

You're right. I think a lot of it is bad advice from agents and hanger-ons, leeches, some family, etc.

People should always make decisions that are in their best interests, but if we retrospectively looked at all our early entrants over the last 15 years, I can only think of Olivier Vernon and Lamar Miller as guys who really hit it. The rest are some really sad stories.

I mean a practice squad salary for one season with no degree is not a recipe for further career success, look at the trajectory of most potential college to NFL players.
I’d guess even Vernon could have improved his stock quite a bit by playing more college football. He has such crazy ability he could have been a top 5 pick and had a gigantic first contract.

Well, you are right.

Every situation is different. There is no one answer for every player. Almost every player is faces the same slim odds and even if they do make it they may only be in the league for a few years. Odds are not in their favor. But they are chasing their own dreams so more power to them.

I only agrue that staying is not the only answer.

Some here seem to think staying another year makes you a first round pick and leaving means you are poor and can't afford your next meal. Players can do well for themselves by leaving early and can be on a practice squad for several years even if they never make it. Staying one more year is not always going to help.

150K for 17 weeks is not bad and they have the rest of the year to do what they want...like work on a degree or start the coaching path. I just say players should do what they think gives them the best opportunity.
Nobody is saying it "makes you a 1st rounder" and its laughable you think being on a practice squad for a few years means any real money whatsoever. You make $125k tops and then have to pay for an agent, trainer, nutritionist, etc.

People here are saying there is little downside to staying (basically just career ending injury) if you are NOT a guaranteed 1-3rd round player.

Get your degree and have a fallback of becoming a cop/firefighter/teacher/coach/etc ... all of which require a degree.

Advertisement
Very small amount of practice squad players are able to stick all season. It’s basically a revolving door depending on a team’s needs each week. I’d say Trajan Bandy did himself a huge disservice by spending the majority of the season sitting at home
and tell them how much after agent fees, off season trainers, nutritionists, etc a guy who makes $100k a year on a practice squad actually gets.

Its all about putting yourself in the best possible position for longterm success over short term reward.

Of coarse there are no guaranties but generally speaking, people get better over time if they put the work in. Not often someone plays better their freshman year vs their JR or SR one.

Another year with with Feely and maybe a guys 8 or 9 lbs heavier, does a couple extra reps on the bench etc etc. Just that alone can make a difference in draft position. Then you have practice reps, game experience, maturity that even if still not drafted high can be the difference between making a practice roster and being cut.

I havnt even gotten into earning a college degree while having all expenses paid for and a full support system.

People have to do whats right for them but its not hard to see that unless your a day 1 or 2 pick, staying increases the odds of long term success and a higher salary for the next 4-5yrs.

Bolden should come back. Brevin should go, he'll still be drafted in the top 3 rounds. Bolden is a borderline draft pick right now.

I want the guys who are going to bet on themselves improving their game and, consequently, their draft position.
Not only will they be betting on their ability to improve, but they should also be working hard to do so, and, therefore, helping the program, which is all I care about.

Advertisement
Nobody is saying it "makes you a 1st rounder" and its laughable you think being on a practice squad for a few years means any real money whatsoever. You make $125k tops and then have to pay for an agent, trainer, nutritionist, etc.

People here are saying there is little downside to staying (basically just career ending injury) if you are NOT a guaranteed 1-3rd round player.

Get your degree and have a fallback of becoming a cop/firefighter/teacher/coach/etc ... all of which require a degree.
And I wasn't suggesting a practice player is rich, but let's not pretend a 100K is poverty either.

Not sure where you are getting 125K. It is simply not true. Highest payout is about 150K. lowest could be 88K. But this is just an example of people not knowing how any of it actually works.

Agent don't make as much as people think. I don't expect you to know this but at least don't just throw out info like you do. There are different fees for different players and a practice squad guy is not paying the large fees actual players do, in fact representation is a quite small for them.

A player could pay as little as 1.5% to an agent or less in some circumstances.

And an agent is not going to invest 25K to 50K to train, teach and supply the player if the agent is not going to get a return on that investment. The agent is not going to babysit a player they are not getting a return on.

Meaning very little attention is given to some practice squad player other than minimal fees to represent the first signing. They are not paying all that other crap you think happens for these guys. No trainers, no nutritionist, no etc. 99% of this is for the richest 1%. No guy making minimum is getting all that either. This is all Jerry Maguire stuff.... The funny thing is agents typically pay for this out of pocket...not the player so you have that wromng too.

A player can still do all those things from cop to teacher. I'm not sure people think this has to be done with such urgency. They have their entire life to get that degree. One year is not going to matter when getting your degree but one year can be a difference maker for a player's window to play in the NFL, as short as those careers are.

But players understand the unpredictable nature of the game. No money is Guaranteed. hurt your knee...your gone. They have roommates, share bills and work other jobs in the off season and work on their degree. But all in all they do it because their opportunities in the NFL are increased by being in the NFL as opposed to college.

They do it because it is their dream to be in the NFL....few players are going to give up that chance to come back and play for some 7 win team.

And I wasn't suggesting a practice player is rich, but let's not pretend a 100K is poverty either.

Not sure where you are getting 125K. It is simply not true. Highest payout is about 150K. lowest could be 88K. But this is just an example of people not knowing how any of it actually works.

Agent don't make as much as people think. I don't expect you to know this but at least don't just throw out info like you do. There are different fees for different players and a practice squad guy is not paying the large fees actual players do, in fact representation is a quite small for them.

And an agent is not going to invest 25K to 50K to train, teach and supply the player if the agent is not going to get a return on that investment. The agent is not going to babysit a player they are not getting a return on.

Meaning very little attention is given to some practice squad player other than minimal fees to represent the first signing. They are not paying all that other crap you think happens for these guys. No trainers, no nutritionist, no etc. 99% of this is for the richest 1%. No guy making minimum is getting all that either. This is all Jerry Maguire stuff.... The funny thing is agents typically pay for this out of pocket...not the player so you have that wromng too.

A player can still do all those things from cop to teacher. I'm not sure people think this has to be done with such urgency. They have their entire life to get that degree. One year is not going to matter when getting your degree but one year can be a difference maker for a player's window to play in the NFL, as short as those careers are.

But players understand the unpredictable nature of the game. No money is Guaranteed. hurt your knee...your gone. They have roommates, share bills and work other jobs in the off season and work on their degree. But all in all they do it because their opportunities in the NFL are increased by being in the NFL as opposed to college.

They do it because it is their dream to be in the NFL....few players are going to give up that chance to come back and play for some 7 win team.

Its hilarious your telling me what I do and don't know. My next door neighbor for 15 years is a sports agent and I am a financial advisor.

Hopefully @apfenny3 can come back in here and set the record straight.

100k per year for one or 2 years IS poverty if you have no degree, no skills, and no backup plan. Just look at the landscape of ex-NFL short-timers, most of whom made way more than that.

If I’ve said it once, I’ve said it 100 times, short money is dumb money. If you’re not playing the long game, you’re fūcked.

There's just no reason to stay if you can get drafted.

Unless, you know, you like playing ball for free with the added responsibility of keeping up with college coursework
You come back and improve your draft stock from 5 or 6th round to 1st or 2nd round, it will be like you're playing for free under that 5th or 6th round money vs 1st or 2nd even after waiting a year.

Advertisement
Its hilarious your telling me what I do and don't know. My next door neighbor for 15 years is a sports agent and I am a financial advisor.

Hopefully @apfenny3 can come back in here and set the record straight.
2020 p squad salary is 8400/week, so just about 143k if on it all season, I’d have to double check but I believe Bandy has only spent 3 or 4 weeks on a p squad this season, Jeff Thomas none. 95+% of players that are legitimate PFA-draftable prospects are getting their training covered by an agent during the pre draft process. Every agency is different but about half of the agents I’ve talked to will structure this as a loan and recoup the investment. I’d have to double check again the exact number but the nflpa has told us around 85% of players are paying the full 3% commission, but players can’t be charged fees on practice squad only training reimbursements.

1. Unfortunately, the real problem is that many of these kids don’t value the potential education they might receive while simultaneously not understanding money; and football coaches/staff/agents/fans/parents/high schools/communities don’t value their education either. Too many of these kids are in worthless majors just trying to stay eligible.

2. In this age of grad transfers, every kid should be trying to graduate in 3 years, get a masters — all paid for — and take advantage of the extra years of eligibility. (Ex. Joe Burrow)

3. If your draft grade can’t improve significantly and you’re going to be drafted anyway, leave. (Ex. Deejay Dallas)

4. If there is a chance you won’t be drafted, stay.

5. If you don’t think you will be developed, transfer.

6. Staying to pursue a worthless degree is as silly as “betting on yourself” and not getting drafted when you’re not prepared to be an NFL player.

7. The Difference between a top-5 first round pick and a bottom-5 first round pick is a $15,000,000 signing bonus. Guaranteed. A player will lose a few million more for top/mid of the second round selection. You won’t make that money back up. EVER! (Ex. Everyone says Phillips is gone, but … might not hurt to rethink that if maximum dollar earned is his goal and he believes he can be a top-5 pick next year.)

1. Unfortunately, the real problem is that many of these kids don’t value the potential education they might receive while simultaneously not understanding money; and football coaches/staff/agents/fans/parents/high schools/communities don’t value their education either. Too many of these kids are in worthless majors just trying to stay eligible.

2. In this age of grad transfers, every kid should be trying to graduate in 3 years, get a masters — all paid for — and take advantage of the extra years of eligibility. (Ex. Joe Burrow)

3. If your draft grade can’t improve significantly and you’re going to be drafted anyway, leave. (Ex. Deejay Dallas)

4. If there is a chance you won’t be drafted, stay.

5. If you don’t think you will be developed, transfer.

6. Staying to pursue a worthless degree is as silly as “betting on yourself” and not getting drafted when you’re not prepared to be an NFL player.

7. The Difference between a top-5 first round pick and a bottom-5 first round pick is a $15,000,000 signing bonus. Guaranteed. A player will lose a few million more for top/mid of the second round selection. You won’t make that money back up. EVER! (Ex. Everyone says Phillips is gone, but … might not hurt to rethink that if maximum dollar earned is his goal and he believes he can be a top-5 pick next year.)
Agree with much of what you said but UM is different than most universities in that they don't have bull**** majors. No underwater basketweaving degrees.

Stay at UM and get your degree and worst case is cop/FF/teacher which offer middle class income and early retirement.

Advertisement
None of these kids should go early. I thought Bolden should early on, then he hit a wall. Phillips only has a couple breakout games where he showed more technical soundness. Harris like Bolden, flashing early, now struggling. Blades losing snaps to Couch, unreliable in coverage and still not turning his head. Hall sloppy, can't even find the ball at times.

I'd only understand it if Harris left. He's got guys behind him who are beasts. The other guys are guaranteed starters, have the chance to climb the NFL boards bigtime with more development and better play. They should take that all day, every day.

p.s. I think the equally important question is which seniors stay or go. But that's a different thread.

Agree with much of what you said but UM is different than most universities in that they don't have bull**** majors. No underwater basketweaving degrees.

Stay at UM and get your degree and worst case is cop/FF/teacher which offer middle class income and early retirement.
Without minimizing the education of FR/cops/teachers (which I don’t think you’re trying to do) …They can go to community college for that.

It’s not the “BS majors”, it’s not being prepared for a life beyond sports. Football players at graduation have less work experience/internships then their UM/P5 classmates. Yet, there are posters who consistently write things like players shouldn’t be allowed to come back to school if they leave early. All the while, making similar comments like “they need to be in their playbook”. So their education should consist of football but they shouldn’t be allowed to peruse the reason for going to college in the first place?

I think it was @RedSquare who made a comment like that recently. Not to call him out, but that would be UNTHINKABLE at his own alma mater. Sports before school? They’d close the school first.

A good point in this argument is that after you leave college for an extended period of time it is so hard to get back in the school mode and take it seriously and study again. And remember if you go back like Miami allows you won’t be getting breezed through with tutors and special treatment. You’ll be a normal guy in there. going back to school is a huge mental hurdle especially when maybe you didn’t like school the first time

In his article today, Barry said this about Bubba, "But Bolden — whose play has run the gamut from excellent at times to inadequate at others — clearly could use another year in college."

I could not have disagreed with him more 3-4 weeks ago. Today? Yeah, he definitely needs to return for another year. We could use him and he could use it as well. If he returns and we have a stellar year, which probably means he has a stellar year, he could play himself into the 1-2 rounds.

He also mentioned Brevin's tenuous standing with the scouts because of his Glass Joe reputation. Hopefully, Brevin comes back for one more year.
There is no need for Brevin to return. It is proven that he can’t stay healthy. He needs to go pro and be taken on potential. With no pressure to
stry early, he will have time to get fully evaluated, address the issues, get stronger, learn his craft and ball in in a year or two.

Advertisement
Back