A quote about Bubba from B Jackson (and one about Brevin)

We should be glad Brevin didnt opt out the season and go straight to the draft like GR15. He is gone. Will be drafted higher than most people think. Only way he even sits down to reconsider is if King comes back and convinces him to stay one more year.

I am torn on Bolden. LCE and the "Less athletic Justin Simmons" comparison was spot on. One part of me says its a no brainer for him to come back and get more elite level tape for the scouts. We have seen what he can do when he is "on"..Hes All American level. But of course I think he and Phillps both leave. I think they are a package deal. Either we get both or we get neither.

I dont have the same excitement for depending on TFr safeties like LCE does especially if there is no guarantee that GHall will wake the F up and realize his full potential.

Advertisement

Bolden IMO is a poor man's Justin Simmons, without the explosiveness & Ball skills.

Simmons was a 3rd rounder coming out of BC, Bolden IMO if he declared after this season would be a 5-7th rounder at best. But I'm not gonna lie, there's a part of me that doesn't mind him declaring because I want our staff to not always have the crutch of using upperclassmen as an excuse to keep from developing young talent.

We're deep AF at Safety & will be even deeper next year, makes no sense to have all that talent sitting on the bench for 3 years while the staff hides behind Portal transfers.

Brevin will get drafted higher than people think, Miami's cache & respect as a TE producing school combined with his combine performance will be enough to get him selected between rounds 2-3.

At this point, I don't actually care who declares early, if this staff can't do their job & replenish those spots with developed recruited players then that's on them.

All the bellyaching fans do about players leaving early just let's the coaching staff off the hook, winning programs lose players to the draft & have to replace guys every single year, the staff needs to handle their business & do what they get paid to do, all this crying & excuse making every offseason is the work of mediocrity, greatness finds a way to get it done despite the challenges set in front of them.

this is true.

but the complaints, which are 100% justified, are not due to losing some 1st rounder who has done all he can at the college level, and decides to go to the NFL. instead, it's with the barely there 6th rounders and UDFA's who leave early and have ZERO business doing so. it's not the former that crushes you, it's the latter. they are destroyers of programs the way that oppenheimer was a destroyer of worlds.

despite the good faith best efforts of the staff, these knuckleheads still believe the nonsense spewed from the guys at the barbershop and the uncle who's looking to score a few bucks from the agent's street runner. they're the ones that kill your culture and your locker room. so we need to figure that out, because losing a 2 year starter to the 1st round of the NFL draft is the least of our problems.

It needs to be pointed out that kids can come back and finish their degree once their NFL career ends.

They still don’t have to pay for it later, and that’s why they leave after 3 years because they know they can just come back if the NFL doesn’t work out.

i would immediately rescind that policy. you leave early? you need to reapply to be allowed to come pack to finish your degree, and .... you have to pay for it.

Advertisement
Brevin might wanna make one (1) contested catch in his Miami career before he starts thinking about declaring. I love his game but the durability, small frame and catch radius, and inability to make plays in tight coverage are huge concerns. Only so much you can do after the catch or in open zones. Right now he projects as a poor man's Jonnu Smith.

NFL rookie contracts are 4 yrs and the dollar discrepancy from 1st & 2nd rounders to the later ones is huge. If your projected to be a 3rd rounder or later and still have eligibility remaining it absolutely makes business sense to come back in most cases.

Have to see what kind of grade the advisory board provides but lets say Bolden is 4-6 rnd. He has the athletic ability and profile to go much higher, just needs on field performance and tape. If I am him, I absolutely come back and try to work my way into a 2nd round pick which is a realistic goal. This equates to more than 10x the money over the life of his rookie contract. He would be looking at around 4 mill guaranteed vs 300k. Same thing for Brevin, It really should be a no brainer unless there is a hardship situation.

Rousseau on the other hand, as much as I wish he played this year I believe he did make a wise business decision so can't really fault him.

Regardless of whether Brevin stays or goes, he's been a major part of the resurgence of the Canes. When he's on the field & targets come his way, he's performed at a very high level. He's also been one of the best recruiters for Miami, including Bolden and others. I'm very grateful to Brevin for everything he's done so far both on & off the field (recruiting).

I wish we had seen more of Brevin & Mallory on the field at the same because I feel that two-headed monster would have been special (now that Mallory has really emerged). We will be just fine with Mallory (and our other TEs), if Brevin goes. Will be interesting to see the decision he makes re staying or going. He'll be a stud in the NFL if he stays healthy, has a good QB and is part of the right system. Where he's drafted is a whole other story.

Advertisement
Regardless of whether Brevin stays or goes, he's been a major part of the resurgence of the Canes. When he's on the field & targets come his way, he's performed at a very high level. He's also been one of the best recruiters for Miami, including Bolden and others. I'm very grateful to Brevin for everything he's done so far both on & off the field (recruiting).

I wish we had seen more of Brevin & Mallory on the field at the same because I feel that two-headed monster would have been special (now that Mallory has really emerged). We will be just fine with Mallory (and our other TEs), if Brevin goes. Will be interesting to see the decision he makes re staying or going. He'll be a stud in the NFL if he stays healthy, has a good QB and is part of the right system. Where he's drafted is a whole other story.

Nah man, this isn't the take on here. If he does anything we don't like we hate him. Because this board is all wannabe 'Canes who hate real 'Canes.

In his article today, Barry said this about Bubba, "But Bolden — whose play has run the gamut from excellent at times to inadequate at others — clearly could use another year in college."

I could not have disagreed with him more 3-4 weeks ago. Today? Yeah, he definitely needs to return for another year. We could use him and he could use it as well. If he returns and we have a stellar year, which probably means he has a stellar year, he could play himself into the 1-2 rounds.

He also mentioned Brevin's tenuous standing with the scouts because of his Glass Joe reputation. Hopefully, Brevin comes back for one more year.
No offense, but you were just wrong in your view 3-4 weeks ago. There’s a reason kids need a lot lf games and film in college before declaring them ‘nfl ready.’ The whole idea that hype plus a few good games = nfl prodigy strikes me as flawed.

Advertisement
Both need another year.
Bolden started off strong, play has tailed significantly as of late

Brevin needs more production and to show he can stay healthy so he needs another year mainly on that alone

Bolden IMO is a poor man's Justin Simmons, without the explosiveness & Ball skills.

Simmons was a 3rd rounder coming out of BC, Bolden IMO if he declared after this season would be a 5-7th rounder at best. But I'm not gonna lie, there's a part of me that doesn't mind him declaring because I want our staff to not always have the crutch of using upperclassmen as an excuse to keep from developing young talent.

We're deep AF at Safety & will be even deeper next year, makes no sense to have all that talent sitting on the bench for 3 years while the staff hides behind Portal transfers.

Brevin will get drafted higher than people think, Miami's cache & respect as a TE producing school combined with his combine performance will be enough to get him selected between rounds 2-3.

At this point, I don't actually care who declares early, if this staff can't do their job & replenish those spots with developed recruited players then that's on them.

All the bellyaching fans do about players leaving early just let's the coaching staff off the hook, winning programs lose players to the draft & have to replace guys every single year, the staff needs to handle their business & do what they get paid to do, all this crying & excuse making every offseason is the work of mediocrity, greatness finds a way to get it done despite the challenges set in front of them.

El..what if one of the reasons S.FLA players don't develop or take longer to is because they're extremely raw & poorly coached coming out of HS?? Urban Meyer's words..not mine. I think it's important to interject nuance into this discussion. It's rarely an either or situation like casual fans make it seem

Last edited:
Advertisement
Bolden has played so poorly the last few weeks I'm not sure if I mind him going pro. He was playing lights out, but he's being directly responsible for some of our worst plays on D.
I'm a fan of Brevin and I may cap for him a little, he is a true Cane. The injuries ******* suck, because every time he was involved on the game plan he delivered. It could go either way on him coming back, he has enough tape and potential to be a 3rd/4th rounder rn even with the injuries, but I could see him sliding if he doesn't test well. I don't get why so many people turned on him, actually I get it he took away your feel good of watching him on the field for your team

Folks sound more bullish on brevin’s draft position than I am. Don’t see an nfl team using a top 3 round pick on an undersized TE with major durability concerns.

this is true.

but the complaints, which are 100% justified, are not due to losing some 1st rounder who has done all he can at the college level, and decides to go to the NFL. instead, it's with the barely there 6th rounders and UDFA's who leave early and have ZERO business doing so. it's not the former that crushes you, it's the latter. they are destroyers of programs the way that oppenheimer was a destroyer of worlds.

despite the good faith best efforts of the staff, these knuckleheads still believe the nonsense spewed from the guys at the barbershop and the uncle who's looking to score a few bucks from the agent's street runner. they're the ones that kill your culture and your locker room. so we need to figure that out, because losing a 2 year starter to the 1st round of the NFL draft is the least of our problems.

Bingo.

**** truth right there. Our fans act like we're the only school that loses players. Restock, reload, or get gone. Enough with all this crying.

Advertisement
Back