A quote about Bubba from B Jackson (and one about Brevin)

Advertisement
People are going to compare Brevin to Evan Engram due to the measurable's. But Evan was a much much much better prospect coming out of college. He got drafted late in the first and to this point has been a disappointment.
  • Evan Engram caught for 950 yards his last year in college. Brevin has slightly over 1,000 total yards in 3 seasons!
  • Engram ran a 4.42 40 in the combine. Idk what Brevin runs but doubt it's that good.
  • Engram played 10+ games each year after his Freshmen year. Brevin is about to have a career low in games played after his junior year.
Ain't nobody giving Brevin a 1st round grade. 2nd round grade seems like an insane stretch to me as well...sh*t maybe even 3rd round grade is a stretch. Dude would be absolutely nuts to declare.
Not really. If he comes back and misses most of that season due to injuries, he'll never get drafted.

People are going to compare Brevin to Evan Engram due to the measurable's. But Evan was a much much much better prospect coming out of college. He got drafted late in the first and to this point has been a disappointment.
  • Evan Engram caught for 950 yards his last year in college. Brevin has slightly over 1,000 total yards in 3 seasons!
  • Engram ran a 4.42 40 in the combine. Idk what Brevin runs but doubt it's that good.
  • Engram played 10+ games each year after his Freshmen year. Brevin is about to have a career low in games played after his junior year.
Ain't nobody giving Brevin a 1st round grade. 2nd round grade seems like an insane stretch to me as well...sh*t maybe even 3rd round grade is a stretch. Dude would be absolutely nuts to declare.
Solid, truthful post!

In his article today, Barry said this about Bubba, "But Bolden — whose play has run the gamut from excellent at times to inadequate at others — clearly could use another year in college."

I could not have disagreed with him more 3-4 weeks ago. Today? Yeah, he definitely needs to return for another year. We could use him and he could use it as well. If he returns and we have a stellar year, which probably means he has a stellar year, he could play himself into the 1-2 rounds.

He also mentioned Brevin's tenuous standing with the scouts because of his Glass Joe reputation. Hopefully, Brevin comes back for one more year.

Rather its 3-4 weeks ago or today all those guys need to come back period. Bolden making a few tackles didn't warrant him leaving at all. Jordan cant stay healthy and the DE needs to refine his game and prove he can stay healthy for a prolong period. Even 40 year old king needs to come back. Blades leave early? Lmao he better learn the s position.

Advertisement
With scumbags like Petey and others in their ears, even telling them to ignore their draft ratings, or telling them they can still get good 7th round money, and/or scaring them with injury stories, and with family members pressuring them - we can see why it happens.

Too many people running around pulling these guys in the wrong direction, plus they’re not getting those sweet church collection envelopes like Dabo gives them at Clemson to stay longer

Aside from staying, improving, being drafted higher and making millions more.

Unfortunately many of our recent early defectors probably wish they could go back and play that extra year.

The prospect of making millions is certainly alluring, and I know every kids financial situation is different. But you can't tell me guys who leave only to end up on a practice squad are living better than they did in college, especially if they're in a place like NY, Cali or New England where the cost of living is through the roof. How many times do we have to see that happen before someone says, "I'm not satisfied with the 3-5 round grade I recieved."

Advertisement
With scumbags like Petey and others in their ears, even telling them to ignore their draft ratings, or telling them they can still get good 7th round money, and/or scaring them with injury stories, and with family members pressuring them - we can see why it happens.
Yeah, that's if they make the team. A 7th round draft choice is not much of an investment for NFL teams. A mediocre camp performance, an injury, and they're likely to be waived. Then you're hoping that you can get on a practice squad.

A 3rd round pick and above have far more of a chance to stick that first year and at least seeing two years of that first NFL contact.

Rousseau and Phillips are the only possible day one picks. Roche is a day two pick. Everyone else would be day three or UDFAs.

The problem for Brevin is he could not play a full CFB season. The NFL is much faster, more violent. If you're drafting Brevin you have to consider that he may only play 8-10 games a season because of injuries. It's unfortunate but Brevin has the rep of being injury prone which is another way of calling him "fragile."

If you watch the draft you see guys with this label drop in the draft every year.

Advertisement
Bolden IMO is a poor man's Justin Simmons, without the explosiveness & Ball skills.

Simmons was a 3rd rounder coming out of BC, Bolden IMO if he declared after this season would be a 5-7th rounder at best. But I'm not gonna lie, there's a part of me that doesn't mind him declaring because I want our staff to not always have the crutch of using upperclassmen as an excuse to keep from developing young talent.

We're deep AF at Safety & will be even deeper next year, makes no sense to have all that talent sitting on the bench for 3 years while the staff hides behind Portal transfers.

Brevin will get drafted higher than people think, Miami's cache & respect as a TE producing school combined with his combine performance will be enough to get him selected between rounds 2-3.

At this point, I don't actually care who declares early, if this staff can't do their job & replenish those spots with developed recruited players then that's on them.

All the bellyaching fans do about players leaving early just let's the coaching staff off the hook, winning programs lose players to the draft & have to replace guys every single year, the staff needs to handle their business & do what they get paid to do, all this crying & excuse making every offseason is the work of mediocrity, greatness finds a way to get it done despite the challenges set in front of them.

Last edited:
It needs to be pointed out that kids can come back and finish their degree once their NFL career ends.

They still don’t have to pay for it later, and that’s why they leave after 3 years because they know they can just come back if the NFL doesn’t work out.

Bolden IMO is a poor man's Justin Simmons, without the explosiveness & Ball skills.

Simmons was a 3rd rounder coming out of BC, Bolden IMO if he declared after this season would be a 5-7th rounder at best. But I'm not gonna lie, there's a part of me that doesn't mind him declaring because I want our staff to not always have the crutch of using upperclassmen as an excuse to keep from developing young talent.

We're deep AF at Safety & will be even deeper next year, makes no sense to have all that at won't sitting on the bench for 3 years while the staff hides behind Portal transfers.

Brevin will get drafted higher than people think, Miami's cache & respect as a TE producing school combined with his combine performance will be enough to get him selected between rounds 2-3.

At this point, I don't actually care who declares early, if this staff can't do their job & replenish those spots with developed recruited players then that's on them.

All the bellyaching fans do about players leaving early just let's the coaching staff off the hook, winning programs lose players to the draft & have to replace guys every single year, the staff needs to handle their business & do what they get paid to do, all this crying & excuse making every offseason is the work of mediocrity, greatness finds a way to get it done despite the challenges set in front of them.

There’s truth in what you say, but when you look at programs like Clemson, they are sometimes getting first rounders or top 3 round guys, to stay for their senior years. That’s how they’re winning championships. We are nowhere near that, so that’s really not an issue now.

And you’re right, we have to develop the talent we have.

But if we ever get closer to playoff level, we are going to have to keep some people, to win championships.

Advertisement
Brevin is gonna go in the middle of 2, top of 3 range. Him leaving doesn’t mean anything to me. Arroyo early and often. Bubba can for sure go I just hope they let Gil play safety next year

This is the reason why we have players leave early every year to go undrafted. Playing ball for free at college sounds a lot better than going undrafted, getting cut from whatever longshot tryout camp you might get invited to and getting a job delivering pizzas because your only marketable talent was playing football and you don't have a degree.

Taking off the orange and green shades and trying to be as objective as possible- the only person who I believe would be making the right decision to leave early is Phillips. Given that he had so many injuries that he medically retired at one point, I can understand him not taking any risks and trying his luck in the draft. If he came back and had a dominant season next year, he'd answer a lot of questions about his health and could play himself into an early pick; but it's not an unreasonable to enter the draft this year even if he's a later pick. Both Jordan and Bolden should come back because a good year is going to make a big difference in their draft position. And getting a college degree can't be undervalued. A lot of fans might be surprised at how little money is actually guaranteed by NFL contracts.

2019 NFL Draft Analysis – Average Guaranteed Dollars by Round
1st Round – $16,939,370
2nd Round – $3,786853
3rd Round – $946,211
4th Round – $692,925
5th Round – $301,369
6th Round – $161,745
7th Round – $88,795

(These numbers include base salary, signing, roster and option bonuses that are guaranteed)

Let's say Bolden is a 5th round pick. That's 300k before taxes. That money isn't going to last very long.

There’s truth in what you say, but when you look at programs like Clemson, they are sometimes getting first rounders or top 3 round guys, to stay for their senior years. That’s how they’re winning championships. We are nowhere near that, so that’s really not an issue now.

And you’re right, we have to develop the talent we have.

But if we ever get closer to playoff level, we are going to have to keep some people, to win championships.
The positions that matter the most in returning is QB, OL, WR, DL & CB.

TE & Safeties, especially at the U, are replaceable.

Clemson isn't really the measuring stick, they really only got one group of guys to come back & even so still they still lose players every year to the draft.

It ain't the 90's no more, the old era of holding onto players for 4-6 years just ain't happening, relying on 5th, 6th & 7th year Seniors is a crutch & not receipe for long term sustained success. Kids like Surtain II & Jobe played as TF's, started by their Sophomore year & will hit the draft after this season their 3rd year.

Ideally of course you want your talented to players to stay as long as possible, but with the new transfers rules the old adage of "sit & wait your turn!" don't cut it anymore, talented players are not sitting on the bench for 2 & half years behind 5th year Seniors anymore, if they don't get on the field early, they'll split.

If you want a bunch of 4/5-star top tier type guys, you gotta get'em on the field early, that's the trade off, if you want a bunch of guys who will stick around for 4+ years they won't be as talented as the teams with high end talent & it'll reflect in the product on the field.

Advertisement
Back