A note on Landon Ibieta

Collingsworth was really good. My recollection is he was a really different player from Largent, also. But I haven't looked at his film in 2 decades.
Yes, you are right. Their skill set were different, but both were lethal during their time in the NFL.

Advertisement
IF and a it's a BIG IF Jeff Thomas got his head right and played with a QB like King here he would have killed it. He showed elite potential at Miami, he was no Lance L, Jolla, Pope on the field I have to give him that he was able to be a good WR unlike them.
There are plenty of ways to fail. The only way to succeed is to avoid all the failure points and have talent. The more talent, the more leeway you get on the other issues.

Thomas was different from those guys, you're right. And he failed for a different reason. But their failures and his, all are on the supposed 'checklist' of things to assess in a WR recruit. We've been talking recently about wanting kids who are tough, have hands, use their bodies, etc. Enough focus on that would have helped us prioritize different kids in the past over some of the guys we took. We also know that being able to follow rules and stay in school is important. Thomas couldn't. (T. Brady was a kid who managed to succeed elsewhere, by contrast.)

The hard part of evaluating isn't identifying the criteria, it's applying it. The amazing thing is we don't seem like we have had the criteria right or even tried to apply it the past 2 decades. It finally looks to me like we have assistant coaches who at least are trying to find kids who match some basic and obvious criteria. Whether they're right or not we won't know for a while.

We keep coming back to a common issue. The big time programs do X, so we need to do X. I disagree with the rationale. It’s not that you’re wrong, it’s just cart before horse.

Call big time programs rich programs. Rich people have swimming pools, so we need a swimming pool is the logoc. But it’s mistaken. We need to become rich. Then we can have a pool.

No one is suggesting we don’t target the top kids and try to sign them, especially locally. And yes, I agree we need to scour local kids for prospects because they’re there every year.

But worrying about first round talent is wrong, imo. We need to evaluate much better, and if we do, we’ll start finding top 3 round kids, and when we do, we’ll win enough to sign first round kids more often.

I also don’t really care about first round kids because that’s an NFL matter. I want kids who can make plays at UM. Lamar Thomas, Horace Copeland, Wes Carroll, Dale Dawkins, Kevin Williams, Perriman, Br. Blades, Benjamin, Hurns, Hankerson….

Osborn and Berrios were 5-6th round. Benjamin was a 4th rounder. Coley was 7th. We’d be ecstatic to sign more of them.

The highest rated WRs (rivals) we’ve gotten in 2 decades were Leggett, Moore, Jolla, Aldarius, Pope and Bruce, followed by Mullins, McKenzie, Streeter, Coley, Payton, Redding, J. Thomas, Harley and Hightower. It’s not about ratings. It’s about evals. Only sustained success will put us in a position to land top 5 kids, but we can win just fine without them if we evaluate well.
I agree with this order of operations. We need to evaluate the low-hanging fruit better and we need to maximize what we have on the field.

But if the question is "what do we need to do to get to the CFP level," one of the answers is that we need to win big-time battles at WR. It's the same story at DB and we are making progress there.

We keep coming back to a common issue. The big time programs do X, so we need to do X. I disagree with the rationale. It’s not that you’re wrong, it’s just cart before horse.

Call big time programs rich programs. Rich people have swimming pools, so we need a swimming pool is the logoc. But it’s mistaken. We need to become rich. Then we can have a pool.

No one is suggesting we don’t target the top kids and try to sign them, especially locally. And yes, I agree we need to scour local kids for prospects because they’re there every year.

But worrying about first round talent is wrong, imo. We need to evaluate much better, and if we do, we’ll start finding top 3 round kids, and when we do, we’ll win enough to sign first round kids more often.

I also don’t really care about first round kids because that’s an NFL matter. I want kids who can make plays at UM. Lamar Thomas, Horace Copeland, Wes Carroll, Dale Dawkins, Kevin Williams, Perriman, Br. Blades, Benjamin, Hurns, Hankerson….

Osborn and Berrios were 5-6th round. Benjamin was a 4th rounder. Coley was 7th. We’d be ecstatic to sign more of them.

The highest rated WRs (rivals) we’ve gotten in 2 decades were Leggett, Moore, Jolla, Aldarius, Pope and Bruce, followed by Mullins, McKenzie, Streeter, Coley, Payton, Redding, J. Thomas, Harley and Hightower. It’s not about ratings. It’s about evals. Only sustained success will put us in a position to land top 5 kids, but we can win just fine without them if we evaluate well.
it is possible to win high level recruiting battles without first being "rich," to use your analogy. we're doing it at other positions on the field. the fact that guys like bruce, pope, payton etc haven't lived up to expectations is sort of irrelevant to me bcuz they weren't even *that* great of recruits to begin with. pope was a top 70 overall recruit but the no 11 ranked receiver per 247, payton was a top 60 overall recruit but the no 10 receiver. putting the evaluation of those recruits aside, if that's the ceiling for our WR recruiting then *that* is the problem. romello brinson and jacolby george were nice recruiting wins -- neither is inside the top 25 at their position.

compare that to players like leonard taylor, james williams, avante williams, chantz williams, nesta silvera, jake garcia, tyler van dyke, brevin jordan, will mallory ... we can win recruiting battles for kids who are in the top 10 at their positions whether we're "rich" or "poor" or sending kids to the NFL or not. of course all that stuff helps, but it's not a prerequisite. we just have not been winning those battles at WR, for whatever reason. this year happens to be a down year for top end WR talent in florida so it is what it is, but jacorey brooks, marcus rosemy, frank ladson... we're not even in the conversation. devonta smith, jadon haslewood, george pickens... we couldn't close the deal. it is possible to close on top level recruits without being clemson, ohio state or bama, we just haven't been able to do it at WR. flat out.

[edit: or what dmoney said]

Advertisement
I agree with this order of operations. We need to evaluate the low-hanging fruit better and we need to maximize what we have on the field.

But if the question is "what do we need to do to get to the CFP level," one of the answers is that we need to win big-time battles at WR. It's the same story at DB and we are making progress there.
Agreed. But I actually think the ‘big time battles’ vs evaluations issue is less important at WR than some other spots. DB being one of them. DL being another. Not that it’s not important, but with the right offense, OL, QB and TE, we can win with a range of options at WR who don’t have to be first round picks. And we can find top 3 round pick guys who are underrated in HS. Moore being an example. QB and OL are positions like this, IMO. I’m tempted to say athleticism is just generally more important on defense but IMO RB and TE require it and LB is more instinct driven so it’s not as simple as just O vs D. But that’s all an aside.

it is possible to win high level recruiting battles without first being "rich," to use your analogy. we're doing it at other positions on the field. the fact that guys like bruce, pope, payton etc haven't lived up to expectations is sort of irrelevant to me bcuz they weren't even *that* great of recruits to begin with. pope was a top 70 overall recruit but the no 11 ranked receiver per 247, payton was a top 60 overall recruit but the no 10 receiver. putting the evaluation of those recruits aside, if that's the ceiling for our WR recruiting then *that* is the problem. romello brinson and jacolby george were nice recruiting wins -- neither is inside the top 25 at their position.

compare that to players like leonard taylor, james williams, avante williams, chantz williams, nesta silvera, jake garcia, tyler van dyke, brevin jordan, will mallory ... we can win recruiting battles for kids who are in the top 10 at their positions whether we're "rich" or "poor" or sending kids to the NFL or not. of course all that stuff helps, but it's not a prerequisite. we just have not been winning those battles at WR, for whatever reason. this year happens to be a down year for top end WR talent in florida so it is what it is, but jacorey brooks, marcus rosemy, frank ladson... we're not even in the conversation. devonta smith, jadon haslewood, george pickens... we couldn't close the deal. it is possible to close on top level recruits without being clemson, ohio state or bama, we just haven't been able to do it at WR. flat out.

[edit: or what dmoney said]
I’m certainly not contending it’s impossible to win battles at WR or we shouldn’t try, but fancy WR recruits is a shiny object for our fan base, imo.

There’s a reason most of the guys you named are defensive players or TE. And we’ve actually signed good QB prospects (per ratings) over the years, that’s not new. If we want to win national WR battles, we’re going to have to show we can run an effective offense and put WRs in the league. Hopefully we can win some local battles before then but when Alabama, OSU and Clemson are targeting top local WRs, it’s not going to be easy.

Isaiah Horton

/and I would take a Jeff Thomas caliber WR any day. I sat at Jerrys World and he was the only guy on the team looked like he was there to play and was dusting LSU DBs all day.
Fam, Deion Sanders was at the All-American Bowl where JT played. He went "double number 4, the ball is coming to him".

JT beat the double team and scored anyway. Man, if he stayed another year, he would be in the league 100%.

Advertisement
Fam, Deion Sanders was at the All-American Bowl where JT played. He went "double number 4, the ball is coming to him".

JT beat the double team and scored anyway. Man, if he stayed another year, he would be in the league 100%.
Kid had some real skills, just not right in the head. Like I said earlier the LSU game he was one of the few Canes winning at his position all day, with Malik throwing him the ball.

Excellently argued.

I absolutely want the Sammy Watkins and Jerry Jeudy's of the world. The hit rate on blue chippers is higher. But even those guys bust all the time -- Moore, Leggett, here's a name most have forgotten -- Ivan "Sticks" McCarthy. The list goes on and on and on ... kids who for whatever reason were overrated or had talent but not the will, mental fortitude or off-field discipline to "be great".

Of course I want another Roscoe or Santana. But I'll take a guy that can get open and catch whatever TVD/Garcia/Brown throws at them.

One other point is that we just landed 3 4-stars in 2021 and this happens to be a down year in So Florida. It's one of the reasons I'd be fine with just one WR barring a late add of a national elite. Because the 2023 class is loaded with talent, and we're getting our share.

You can say they "bust" and throw a few names out from the past 20 years but I can show you a "hit" rate that will be far more accurate than the bust list. Of course there are busts, there always has been and always will be but you give me 4 elite HS prospects at a position and if a few bust so be it, I'm still stacked there. That's what Saban does, brings in all the best and then let's them settle it. The better player wins out and the other hits the portal. It's a perfect system to build a dynasty.

Advertisement
I’m certainly not contending it’s impossible to win battles at WR or we shouldn’t try, but fancy WR recruits is a shiny object for our fan base, imo.

There’s a reason most of the guys you named are defensive players or TE. And we’ve actually signed good QB prospects (per ratings) over the years, that’s not new. If we want to win national WR battles, we’re going to have to show we can run an effective offense and put WRs in the league. Hopefully we can win some local battles before then but when Alabama, OSU and Clemson are targeting top local WRs, it’s not going to be easy.

I think an elite WR is a game changer just like an elite anything. But it's not clear to me one of those is available to Miami in this class. You guys love Gibson, but I like Ibieta more tbh.

The one guy I really liked was Bond. Popped off the screen to me. Now Nick is kicking his wife to the back seat so he can be Bond's personal driver. Other than him, I don't see a "sure thing" out there.

Ibieta tested earlier this year. The numbers aren’t publicly available, but colleges can access them through a paid service. Here are the results:

5’11 5/8, 182 lbs
4.51 forty (laser)
4.03 shuttle
37 inch vert
Boarderline elite testing in athleticism..only highlights I’ve seen is his 7v7. I like how he competes and high points the ball

You can say they "bust" and throw a few names out from the past 20 years but I can show you a "hit" rate that will be far more accurate than the bust list. Of course there are busts, there always has been and always will be but you give me 4 elite HS prospects at a position and if a few bust so be it, I'm still stacked there. That's what Saban does, brings in all the best and then let's them settle it. The better player wins out and the other hits the portal. It's a perfect system to build a dynasty.

Give me a few names who are in our recruiting sphere of influence and we would have had any shot at?

Advertisement
Says the guy who won't support his opinion but is preparing for an 'I told you so' in the future.

You say it's 'counter-intuitive' that people who want to compete with Alabama and Clemson would like this commitment. That's either illogical or conclusory or both. We compete with them by evaluating better, recruiting better, coaching and playing better, and incrementally elevating it all together. You may be sure this kid isn't a good recruit but it's not clear why you'd think that. His measurables are very good, and he seems to have the other attributes that matter also at WR. In any case, we don't compete with them by coming in second for recruits who sign with them. We compete with them by identifying the right kids, signing some, and playing well. You have no fancy alternatives you think we're over-looking to take this kid's commitment, or if you do, you're not suggesting them.

Most of this board would be ecstatic if we signed more kids like Lance Leggett, Ryan Moore, Akeem Jolla, Aldarius Johnson, Mark Pope and Jeff Thomas. Those were our highest rated WRs in recent history, or at least most of them.

Let's sign WRs who will fight for the ball, have hands, and can run routes. Whoever they are.
Gibson Bond Horton to go with Lee. I would only take 2 WRs this cycle and this kid wouldn't be one of them at this point. Idc what his 40 is his tape isn't special to me.

Jeff Thomas was nasty he was just an idiot. Richard's was also a monster n you saw it on tape. This guy doesn't pop to me and idc about ratings. Look at Smiths tape tell me he isn't better and he had a similar rating.

Anyways alot of you are blind and if we drop this kid the same ppl will say he wasn't that good anyways.

Give me a few names who are in our recruiting sphere of influence and we would have had any shot at?
Who's job is it to make sure we have "shots" at Coopers/Ridley's/Davis's/Ladson's/Rosemy's/ Xzavier Henderson's/Mario Williams/Gibson's and on and on just at WR???

Any clue who might be in charge of recruiting elite Florida WRs to The University of Miami Grover??

:pgdead:

Gibson Bond Horton to go with Lee. I would only take 2 WRs this cycle and this kid wouldn't be one of them at this point. Idc what his 40 is his tape isn't special to me.

Jeff Thomas was nasty he was just an idiot. Richard's was also a monster n you saw it on tape. This guy doesn't pop to me and idc about ratings. Look at Smiths tape tell me he isn't better and he had a similar rating.

Anyways alot of you are blind and if we drop this kid the same ppl will say he wasn't that good anyways.
Go watch db’s when he gets on them , their hips open up most times. That tells you hes fast and also has really good routes. His forty time with that explosive vertical to go with that route running is a combo you rarely see. He also plays physical as ****, he’s breaking tackles most times when one on one. Not sure what’s not to like.

Serious question what class of football did Ibeita play? Also if this film is so "conclusive" of his elite talents that all the "experts" here can see it why have the SEC big dogs not offered??

He does look good in those clips, but who are those DBs he is dusting, tbh some of them looked terrible. He did flash speed and nice cuts on most routes. I just don't believe we found him in the heart of SEC country without them knowing but I suppose it is possible. Let's see what his sheet looks like after next season and if he sticks should it become heavy with big time programs.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back