A note on Landon Ibieta

Advertisement
Great pickup, and there is absolutely no justification in bashing this kid or questioning why we were after him. Just because he's not a S. Florida elite like Cooper or Jeudy doesn't mean he's not an amazing talent.

The cherry on top is this now helps us stretch our reach into Louisiana - a football rich state we desperately need exposure to. Can't just put blinders on and only focus on S. Florida.

Love stepping into deep South SEC territory and taking one of theirs from them. Sends a big message.

Most schools also will not (or cannot) take a chance on a lower ranked kid. Boosters and fans expect expect their schools to sign the best of the best, and they pay attention to recruiting. If you reach for too many "hidden gems" and they don't pan out, you're gonna get your a$$ fired.

This is so ******* true. This x1000.

But their loss can be Miami's gain... we just need to evaluate really well and pick those kids up. In South Florida alone there are so many underrated kids.

Sometimes the difference between a 4-star and a 3-star is just how many camps the kid goes to and how well his highlight tape is edited. It's dumb that it is that way in 2021, but it's still true. Some kids are just promoted better than others. If this Ibieta kid went to a school like STA and did the camp circuit he would be a 4-star, I have no doubt after seeing his film. This kid can glide.

Advertisement
My older stepbrother from Fairway Heights played LB at Troy with Osi and DeMarcus Ware said Matt Jones was the best athlete he's ever went against....
His combine was insane. There's always 1 freak at the combine each year, and he was that guy. I remember hearing how he literally slept through a tornado too, part of the house he was in fell and he didn't even wake up. As I type this, I now question whether he was hammered but either way, he seemed way to relaxed to push himself too hard as a receiver.

The same ppl that want us to compete versus the Bamas and Clemsons of the world, are the same ppl that think this is a great pick up. It's counterintuitive.

Also it's like we never learn. Here we are saying look at what a monster this kid is at 7 on 7 as if Pope never happened.

Maybe this kid will blow up this year but as of right now there are better targets on the board.

If Bama, Clemson, OSU, UGA, would take him he would be a fringe scholly/PWO.
We get it, you don't like him. You're obviously entitled to your opinion but you don't have to type the same thing 50 times.

Advertisement
Great pickup, and there is absolutely no justification in bashing this kid or questioning why we were after him. Just because he's not a S. Florida elite like Cooper or Jeudy doesn't mean he's not an amazing talent.

The cherry on top is this now helps us stretch our reach into Louisiana - a football rich state we desperately need exposure to. Can't just put blinders on and only focus on S. Florida.

Love stepping into deep South SEC territory and taking one of theirs from them. Sends a big message.
If they never offered what are you taking? You make it sound like he had big time SEC offers and we took him from them, but that did not happen

100% accurate. Boosters want to win the class rankings leaderboard almost as badly as they want to win titles. It's a huge source of bragging rights.

Even schools like Bama and Clemson would rather recruit big raw project WRs than smaller skilled ones who are lower rated. Ajou Ajou and Agiye Hall are current examples.
The booster argument seems less relevant at UM, given its situation.

The staff just needs to evaluate.

I get it, you don't like my opinion. You don't have to read it either.
Says the guy who won't support his opinion but is preparing for an 'I told you so' in the future.

You say it's 'counter-intuitive' that people who want to compete with Alabama and Clemson would like this commitment. That's either illogical or conclusory or both. We compete with them by evaluating better, recruiting better, coaching and playing better, and incrementally elevating it all together. You may be sure this kid isn't a good recruit but it's not clear why you'd think that. His measurables are very good, and he seems to have the other attributes that matter also at WR. In any case, we don't compete with them by coming in second for recruits who sign with them. We compete with them by identifying the right kids, signing some, and playing well. You have no fancy alternatives you think we're over-looking to take this kid's commitment, or if you do, you're not suggesting them.

Most of this board would be ecstatic if we signed more kids like Lance Leggett, Ryan Moore, Akeem Jolla, Aldarius Johnson, Mark Pope and Jeff Thomas. Those were our highest rated WRs in recent history, or at least most of them.

Let's sign WRs who will fight for the ball, have hands, and can run routes. Whoever they are.

Says the guy who won't support his opinion but is preparing for an 'I told you so' in the future.

You say it's 'counter-intuitive' that people who want to compete with Alabama and Clemson would like this commitment. That's either illogical or conclusory or both. We compete with them by evaluating better, recruiting better, coaching and playing better, and incrementally elevating it all together. You may be sure this kid isn't a good recruit but it's not clear why you'd think that. His measurables are very good, and he seems to have the other attributes that matter also at WR. In any case, we don't compete with them by coming in second for recruits who sign with them. We compete with them by identifying the right kids, signing some, and playing well. You have no fancy alternatives you think we're over-looking to take this kid's commitment, or if you do, you're not suggesting them.

Most of this board would be ecstatic if we signed more kids like Lance Leggett, Ryan Moore, Akeem Jolla, Aldarius Johnson, Mark Pope and Jeff Thomas. Those were our highest rated WRs in recent history, or at least most of them.

Let's sign WRs who will fight for the ball, have hands, and can run routes. Whoever they are.
Isaiah Horton

/and I would take a Jeff Thomas caliber WR any day. I sat at Jerrys World and he was the only guy on the team looked like he was there to play and was dusting LSU DBs all day.

Advertisement
Isaiah Horton

/and I would take a Jeff Thomas caliber WR any day. I sat at Jerrys World and he was the only guy on the team looked like he was there to play and was dusting LSU DBs all day.
That's ironic. Jeff Thomas and Sam Bruce were amongst our highest rated recent WRs.

Part of evaluating is figuring out which kids can adjust to college at Miami and play on a team according to its requirements. Neither kid could. The concerns weren't out of the blue -- the issues were identified before they signed with us. We won't always get these things right and I'm not saying go for choir boys but that's why evaluating matters so much. Ultimately you get 25 ICs a year and you have to allocate them wisely.

That Jeff Thomas had potential wasn't the issue. It was whether he was a good bet to reach it.

Advertisement
Issue with Matt is he was addicted to alcohol and booger sugar. One of many in the long line of degenerate 1st round Jaguar WRs…Blackmon, Soward, and Williams. Without a doubt Matt had the most God given talent. I’m not even sure he worked out and ran 4.3 with ease. He could throw it 70 yards too.
He could throw it seventy yards but has no idea where it was going. He was one of the best athletes I’ve ever seen, his size snd speed numbers are in the same ball park as moss. That tells you everything. He just loved that booger sugar.

His combine was insane. There's always 1 freak at the combine each year, and he was that guy. I remember hearing how he literally slept through a tornado too, part of the house he was in fell and he didn't even wake up. As I type this, I now question whether he was hammered but either way, he seemed way to relaxed to push himself too hard as a receiver.

I recall him in college - he was destroying angles with ease. Never seen a white guy that big run like that.

That's ironic. Jeff Thomas and Sam Bruce were amongst our highest rated recent WRs.

Part of evaluating is figuring out which kids can adjust to college at Miami and play on a team according to its requirements. Neither kid could. The concerns weren't out of the blue -- the issues were identified before they signed with us. We won't always get these things right and I'm not saying go for choir boys but that's why evaluating matters so much. Ultimately you get 25 ICs a year and you have to allocate them wisely.

That Jeff Thomas had potential wasn't the issue. It was whether he was a good bet to reach it.
IF and a it's a BIG IF Jeff Thomas got his head right and played with a QB like King here he would have killed it. He showed elite potential at Miami, he was no Lance L, Jolla, Pope on the field I have to give him that he was able to be a good WR unlike them.

Advertisement
Back