A note on Landon Ibieta

Sure, I get that, none of us here KNOW. But my question to Likens today would be this: "You have offered Horton/Ibieta/Gibson all 3. If they all 3 said Yes i will commit would you take Ibieta 1,2 or 3? "

I would like to know the honest answer to that truth be told.

/Horton's film impressed the **** out of me, he caught contested balls like a young Dez Bryant (NO I AM NOT SAYING HE IS DEZ BRYANT)
Might as well ask your girl if she feels fat while youre at it.

Advertisement
People are mentioning race is a reason a lot of big schools haven't offered. I don't totally agree with that. I think if he had a different body structure along with that speed and athleticism he would have been offered. He just doesn't look the part

Did you watch his Jr year tape. its like 10 min of him destroying dudes . I mean were talking about a 16 year old who's only going to get much better. In the video he does everything a wr is suppose to do. Jmo but im very glad we nabbed him. He probably winds up 6'1 and 195 when he walks on campus.
It’s a good comment, i’m not a fan of taking younger kids in a class on the theory it;s an advantage, but when a kid merits the offer and he’s also younger for the class, that’s definitely a plus. I’d expect more highly rated kids are coming from the relatively older kids in a class. That’s natural math and true for most sports.

He has those offers? Where did you see that? I'm not saying you're wrong but everywhere I have looked they were not there.
Every kid ranked high with lots of offers isn't elite, and every lower ranked kid with few offers isn't a scrub. This is where you trust your staff to make good evaluations.

This ain't Golden trotting into PA to grab Hayden Mahoney thinking he outsmarted everyone. This kid is legitimately talented and will be a 4 star real soon. And bag schools will come into the picture.

Advertisement
Did you watch his Jr year tape. its like 10 min of him destroying dudes . I mean were talking about a 16 year old who's only going to get much better. In the video he does everything a wr is suppose to do. Jmo but im very glad we nabbed him. He probably winds up 6'1 and 195 when he walks on campus.
Yes I did. It's about 7 mins. Have you seen Marshall Fews highlight tape? It's about 8 mins of him twisting ppl up n running away from ppl n he's just a PWO. Listen I want all the kids we get to be monsters but I just don't think this guy is a dude. Horton, Bond, n Gibson are ALOT better and Lee is abit better Ibieta.

Definitely agree with you 100% and you know what I am. I'm sure if he looked like me, there'd be much less objection. The offer sheet would be explained away and most detractors would be raving about the underrated dawg we stole outta talent-rich Louisiana. I know a cat from LA that looked like me that we signed a while ago, his name was Ed Something, last name escapes me, 2 star that nobody wanted. I know circumstances were different but I don't remember hearing an uproar like this. I never heard of a kid from there have his competition questioned on this board. He's the first and what's really wild is that it ain't happen until he fuccin' COMMITTED. Everyone who knows a little something about football knows that the Bayou State is one of the most talented football areas in America, HANDS DOWN. Big cities, small towns, every corner of that state produces DUDES. Coincidence that Ibieta was the first??? Me thinks not. Is he gonna be an all-timer like that 2-Star dude? Not likely, but I'm gonna give him every chance to prove himself. A hard worker like they say he is, equipped with the athletic tools at his disposal won't bust(barring injuries)...

Responding to you, @bear, and @canesthing3 who all are saying basically the same thing and are 100% correct. And there’s nothing “wrong” with this thinking, doesn’t make you a bad person I just think there’s something almost subconscious there. I have been on this board and others for longer than I should even mention, been following this stuff a LONG time and it’s just an observation I’ve made a ton. I’m telling you, if this dude was a brother the mood here would be a whole lot different. Not to say that some people wouldn’t still have opinions and it’d be a unanimous celebration. He’s not the highest ranked kid in the world. And people are allowed to debate, that’s what we’re here for. But the mood in this thread and others would be markedly different, I guarantee you. Somehow we gotta curb that nonsense going forward, but that’s a much larger discussion than this kid.

Advertisement
I also see his Qb being able to throw it a mile, alot of busted coverage, and him bullying small DBs. That's not toughness, that's doing what your suppose to do. But hey that's just me.

Yes I did. It's about 7 mins. Have you seen Marshall Fews highlight tape? It's about 8 mins of him twisting ppl up n running away from ppl n he's just a PWO. Listen I want all the kids we get to be monsters but I just don't think this guy is a dude. Horton, Bond, n Gibson are ALOT better and Lee is abit better Ibieta.

:troll-slap:

This. I didn’t want to bring it up but I think you’re spot on. And I’m black so I’m not caping for him bc he’s white. Can he play? Highlights says he can and measurables are where you would want them, maybe even beyond that at this stage.

I couldn’t care less about race when it comes to sports. Can you get the job done on the field or court? If so then let’s rock, if not then kick rocks. Idc if you’re turquoise. I do think it seeps into some people’s framing of athletes, which like you said could even be subconsciously, but it’s 2021 and we need to move past that.
To this point, I think white skill players are undervalued when looking at it from a "Moneyball" standpoint. Belichek doesn't go get Edelman, Amendola, Berrios, etc because he like white guys better, but because its an undervalued asset...VT cornered the market in the early 2000s with black QBs from VA beach area if you think about it, for instance

Bama and Clemson probably aren't offering for the same reason I didn't think this kid was a take before watching his film - he doesn't LOOK like an elite athlete in shorts and a t-shirt.

My mind was changed when I watched his film. Check it out yourself before you decide.

Clemson wouldn’t have won a national
championship without a white receiver who didn’t look athletic. Good film as you pointed out

Listened to the interview with coach Linkens that Brad and Chris did last night and this guy checks all the boxes on want he looks for in. WR. Most important thing is the lateral quickness and this kid has plenty of it.

Former Colt/Current Congressman Anthony Gonzalez from OSU is my comp

Advertisement
Advertisement
Fact of the matter is, by all indications, we just got a commitment from a very talented WR from the football hotbed of Louisiana. He wants to be a Miami Hurricane. We should be celebrating this young fellas commitment regardless of the color of his skin.

Bro, fvck the offers. You guys are star ranking, offer sheet whores. It's about the evals. Look at this kid, and I mean really look at him. His measurables, his route running, his grit, his ability to get YAC, his ability to break tackles.

There's a guy on our team who was ranked waaay higher and had a &hit ton of offers, but can't carry this kid's chest pads.

I guarantee you this will be a follow the herd situation. Once LSU and others see that he committed to us and they really take a close look at him, I promise you they will be coming after him hard.
Before I read this post I had already stated that offers >>> star rankings for my evals. So that take is not accurate at all in regards to me.

I got no problem with the kid but would rather have Gibson and Horton. I do find it funny guys here are calling him a must take while no Power 5 schools are saying the same but UVA and us.

He may ball, it is very possible, but if we are taking him because we already see the handwriting on the wall with better prospects than I am not thrilled. If Likens actually wants him over them then I'll trust him. Simple as that.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back