A note on Bob Shoop

has experience in the 4-3 but went to a 4-2-5 in 2018 with miss st. And that defense was elite. They were 2nd in ppg with 13.2. A huge one was they were 2nd in run defense. Giving up 95 yards a game on 2.87 yac. They were 7th vs the pass
That MSU defense in 2018 was legit. They played a big boy schedule and shut down pretty much everyone. Even the Bama game they lost 24-0 they held the Tide to 300 total yards and like 4.2 yards per play. All while their offense was going 3 and out all afternoon.

Advertisement
So by your theory, every coach who had a good defense can attribute there success to having a good player's. I mean of course it does, that goes for any coach in any sport good/great players make the scheme even better. Jimmy's and joe's over x's and o's. Except for when you have zach's and brandon's or jordan futch's or romello davis's
Man, those are some names from the past!

Advertisement
Wait, who is the defensive coordinator?
Nothing is set in stone right now. Manny still has the option to hire a dedicated DC or a new LB coach. Right now there are many options. ie. T-Rob resuming the DC role he had with SC when Muschamp was his HC/DC.

my only worry is @DMoney's other requirement that he be a city guy. any insight there?
no insight there, but i am trying to determine whether Shoop has any "twitch" or is, as is common known, "twitchety". moreover, we need to determine whether he can flip his hips or not, although I really don't want to find out. i'll leave that to that weirdo from new york.

Advertisement
I know he has his Michigan buy out money, but I'd imagine he will also receive a salary from Miami and his Shoop's tenure at Miami (let's say it's only 2 or 3 years) will outlive his Michigan buy out meaning that Miami will have to commit money to the guy.
Imo, this point still doesn’t prove that Miami is fully committed to winning. I love the move and 90+% of our fan base will and that’s my point.

Our administration gages where the level of respectability is every offseason according to the prevailing fan and staff (Manny and Ed Reed) sentiment, and thats what they allocate money towards. Not winning, but how much would it cost for us to appear like we are trying to win. This is definitely progress but it’s not full committal like the top programs from top to bottom.

Meeting the threshold of being considered competitive is the goal because that fills the seats and keeps tv revenue coming. A coach could keep this UM HC job for life (according to the administration) if he could just consistently be competitive. Our last 4 coaches didn’t lose their jobs for not winning, they got fired for being abominations and for not meeting the threshold of at least being competitive.

Advertisement
Advertisement
plus, to satisfy D-Money;s requirement that the person be a multl-sport athlete to succeed here at Miami, Shoop not only played football at Yale, but he was also an outstanding pitcher. this guy is a beast.
He's from Oakmont, PA too so the word on the streets is that he's solid around the greens.

Hopefully CMD is thinking this way ....

Make $4M a year and keep it all myself but risk getting **** canned within two years or ....

Use $1M of my $4M (equivalent of $600k after-tax dollars) and load the f-up on quality analysts to make sure I get that long term extension and pay raise and be able to demonstrate to UM they need to ante-up in the future on these analysts.

Last edited:
Shoop and T-Rob on staff, and Baker and Banda are gone. This is a SIGNIFICANT upgrade to defensive coaching in Coral Gables. IMHO, we will see a big difference in this defense next season. No more bad tackling, bad angles, poor run fits, and poor game planning. And we also have coaches that have coached against Alabama.

I love this!

Advertisement
Back