A note on Bob Shoop

DMoney

D-Moni
Administrator
I like to use Yards Per Play as a catch-all stat. It's the simplest measure of efficiency on offense and defense, and it usually matches the eye test of the top teams.

In Manny's last year as DC ('18), Miami ranked 3rd nationally in YPP. Brent Venables and Clemson were 2nd. Bob Shoop and Mississippi State were 1st.

This is an excellent addition to the staff. As an analyst, he gives Manny some veteran, Ivy League eyes with big-time experience. He is not a Yes Man and he has two Broyles Award nominations to his credit. Big-time programs make moves like this.

Advertisement
I like to use Yards Per Play as a catch-all stat. It's the simplest measure of efficiency on offense and defense, and it usually matches the eye test of the top teams.

In Manny's last year as DC ('18), Miami ranked 3rd nationally in YPP. Brent Venables and Clemson were 2nd. Bob Shoop and Mississippi State were 1st.

This is an excellent addition to the staff. As an analyst, he gives Manny some veteran, Ivy League eyes with big-time experience. He is not a Yes Man and he has two Broyles Award nominations to his credit. Big-time programs make moves like this.
You mean like Mar Whipple?

His knowledge and experience can only be positives, and as DMoney mentions, this move is what serious programs (the ones that spend and are committed to winning) do.

Can we put to rest the narrative that Miami doesn't care about winning, or isn't committed? I'd imagine (maybe hopeful thinking) that Shoop as an analyst brings about some of that revamped infrastructure to the program that was discussed at length in an older thread.

Advertisement
His knowledge and experience can only be positives, and as DMoney mentions, this move is what serious programs (the ones that spend and are committed to winning) do.

Can we put to rest the narrative that Miami doesn't care about winning, or isn't committed? I'd imagine (maybe hopeful thinking) that Shoop as an analyst brings about some of that revamped infrastructure to the program that was discussed at length in an older thread.
To be fair I still don’t think admin and AD could care less, but Manny cares a **** ton and they want him to be the guy so they give him benefit of the doubt.

Advertisement
To be fair I still don’t think admin and AD could care less, but Manny cares a **** ton and they want him to be the guy so they give him benefit of the doubt.
Hard to speculate how anyone feels, I suppose. But, I don't think Shoop is coming for free and isn't being paid out of Manny's pocket. The money and the approval came from somewhere.

Hard to speculate how anyone feels, I suppose. But, I don't think Shoop is coming for free and isn't being paid out of Manny's pocket. The money and the approval came from somewhere.
No doubt, I’m not speaking from first-hand knowledge, just my opinion based on their recent history of decision-making.

With respect to Shoop, I could be wrong but I think most if not all of his pay is still coming from Michigan.

Advertisement
No doubt, I’m not speaking from first-hand knowledge, just my opinion based on their recent history of decision-making.

With respect to Shoop, I could be wrong but I think most if not all of his pay is still coming from Michigan.
I know he has his Michigan buy out money, but I'd imagine he will also receive a salary from Miami and his Shoop's tenure at Miami (let's say it's only 2 or 3 years) will outlive his Michigan buy out meaning that Miami will have to commit money to the guy.

How would you say our current d compares to that miss state defense in ‘18 talent wise

Advertisement

This move was likely so we can hire a LB coach who is a recruiter.

Advertisement
Back