A note on Bob Shoop

Hopefully CMD is thinking this way ....

Make $4M a year a keep it all myself but risk getting **** canned within two years or ....

Use $1M of my $4M (equivalent of $600k after-tax dollars) and load the f-up on quality analysts to make sure I get that long term extension and pay raise and be able to demonstrate to UM they need to ante-up in the future on these analysts.

Hopefully the board is compensating the coaches correctly and making additional funds available to secure a real DC. The pieces are in place for this program to print money if they don't lose their nerve now.

Advertisement
That MSU defense in 2018 was legit. They played a big boy schedule and shut down pretty much everyone. Even the Bama game they lost 24-0 they held the Tide to 300 total yards and like 4.2 yards per play. All while their offense was going 3 and out all afternoon.
Just from watching this quick, you would of thought Manny coached this game himself, MSU played mostly 4-2-5, looked like they played their corners off majority in a cover 3/quarters look, had pressure package on 3rd n medium/long, bama looked like they were gonna light up score board scoring 21 first half points, msu adjusted and held them to 3 second half points, also pressure started getting to Tua and they shut him down at end of 3rd qtr after getting hit back to back plays and sacked on 3rd down 5 man pressure

Last edited:
They also had 2 first rounders on the DL and a 1st round Safety and another NFL CB but still impressive nonetheless.

Advertisement
This guy sounds like Manny long lost twin, they align philosophically dam near identically

"I’m definitely an analytics guy," Shoop said, "and the numbers say that playing good D is all about being efficient or creating negative plays on first-and-10."

If the goal of any defense is to keep the opponent out of the end zone — and what would the goal be other than that? — then Mississippi State has one of the best defenses of the past decade.

Through their 12-game regular season, Mississippi State permitted only 12 touchdowns. That number not only led the nation by eight scores (Clemson and Appalachian State both allowed 20 through their first 12 games), it’s the best number by any FBS team since 2011.
Only five Bulldog opponents posted more than 10 points. Four were held out of the end zone entirely, and a fifth — LSU — needed three plays to cross the goal line after taking over after an interception at the Mississippi State 3-yard line. In fact, even Mississippi State’s worst game was still a good showing, where the Bulldogs limited the nation’s No. 2 scoring offense to half its season average, when Alabama (47.9 points per game) posted a season-low 24 points against Shoop’s troops.

"What is non-negotiable, is we are going to be in your face. I truly believe in that. That is something that is important to me. We are built on relentless pursuit and never-ending pressure. That's what we talk about all the time. We fell short at times to that style of play at Tennessee. I don't think we were as consistent as I liked us to be. The things that are important to me are having the ability to stop the run and having the ability to eliminate chunk plays and having the ability to create takeaways. Be disruptive. Tackles for loss and sacks are something that's important to me. We must continuously be disruptive on the field. The phrase we have adopted on the defensive side of the ball is hunt. HTB – hunt the ball."

Hopefully CMD is thinking this way ....

Make $4M a year a keep it all myself but risk getting **** canned within two years or ....

Use $1M of my $4M (equivalent of $600k after-tax dollars) and load the f-up on quality analysts to make sure I get that long term extension and pay raise and be able to demonstrate to UM they need to ante-up in the future on these analysts.

Scared money don't make money!

Go Canes

Just from watching this quick, you would of thought Manny coached this game himself, MSU played mostly 4-2-5, looked like they played their corners off majority in a cover 3/quarters look, had pressure package on 3rd n medium/long, bama looked like they were gonna light up score board scoring 21 first half points, msu adjusted and held them to 3 second half points, also pressure started getting to Tua and they shut him down at end of 3rd qtr after getting hit back to back plays and sacked on 3rd down 5 man pressure

Agreed. That was arguably their worst game of the season. I think Florida is the only team that cracked 350 total yards against them. In modern football, especially playing in the SEC west, that’s absurd.

Advertisement
I dont understand why we would want to move Shoop to coach instead of be an analyst. He can do everything except call plays and as an analyst we can add one more coach. So we get an 3xtra coach.

I like to use Yards Per Play as a catch-all stat. It's the simplest measure of efficiency on offense and defense, and it usually matches the eye test of the top teams.

In Manny's last year as DC ('18), Miami ranked 3rd nationally in YPP. Brent Venables and Clemson were 2nd. Bob Shoop and Mississippi State were 1st.

This is an excellent addition to the staff. As an analyst, he gives Manny some veteran, Ivy League eyes with big-time experience. He is not a Yes Man and he has two Broyles Award nominations to his credit. Big-time programs make moves like this.
He more than likely wasn't brought in to just be a set of eyes, remember, he was brought in while blake baker was still here. I got either t-rob or him being named d-co at some point! With t-rob just coming off being in charge of the 101st ranked defense, probably best he let's shoop be on the front line for now.

His knowledge and experience can only be positives, and as DMoney mentions, this move is what serious programs (the ones that spend and are committed to winning) do.

Can we put to rest the narrative that Miami doesn't care about winning, or isn't committed? I'd imagine (maybe hopeful thinking) that Shoop as an analyst brings about some of that revamped infrastructure to the program that was discussed at length in an older thread.
What?

*SMH*

has experience in the 4-3 but went to a 4-2-5 in 2018 with miss st. And that defense was elite. They were 2nd in ppg with 13.2. A huge one was they were 2nd in run defense. Giving up 95 yards a game on 2.87 yac. They were 7th vs the pass
This is a good point that he showed some evolution. My hesitation with any “32-year anything” is that they’ve become a dinosaur or resistance to change.

Offenses are changing rapidly and telling me “these plays have worked for 30 years” doesn’t get me warm and fuzzy.

Now, the difference between a 4-3 and 4-2-5 can really be simply taking a McCloud off the field and replacing him with a SS type, but it changes what you can do schematically.

The fact he coached it without a massive drop off in run defense is encouraging. I wish I had a larger sample size to review, rather than a year you have an absolutely elite DT like Simmons.

Adding a coach with this resume as an analyst is what big time programs do. The analyst role has become the new double dip because it doesn’t count as a coach for the offset language that is standard in coach contracts. You get your full money from last job and a nice analyst salary on top of it. He makes more money with less stress this year.

Advertisement
Bob Shoop was fired once upon a time, so CIS tells me he sucks.

I hope nobody tells them Nick Saban was fired at Ohio State early in his career. They'd be devastated. And imagine if they knew he went 6-6 in Year 4 at Michigan State?!? Sheesh!

I like to use Yards Per Play as a catch-all stat. It's the simplest measure of efficiency on offense and defense, and it usually matches the eye test of the top teams.

In Manny's last year as DC ('18), Miami ranked 3rd nationally in YPP. Brent Venables and Clemson were 2nd. Bob Shoop and Mississippi State were 1st.

This is an excellent addition to the staff. As an analyst, he gives Manny some veteran, Ivy League eyes with big-time experience. He is not a Yes Man and he has two Broyles Award nominations to his credit. Big-time programs make moves like this.
Why isn’t he our defensive coordinator?

Advertisement

I hope nobody tells them Nick Saban was fired at Ohio State early in his career. They'd be devastated. And imagine if they knew he went 6-6 in Year 4 at Michigan State?!? Sheesh!
Thank God you're here to keep all the rubes in check.

So everyone who's been fired is Nick Saban?

What exactly are you trying to prove? That an argument someone else made that you've reduced to bastardization is, so reduced, imperfect?

I'll see your Nick Saban and raise you Alfraud Coker.

So everyone who's been fired is Nick Saban?

What exactly are you trying to prove? That an argument someone else made that you've reduced to bastardization is, so reduced, imperfect?

I'll see your Nick Saban and raise you Alfraud Coker.

Simply that the majority of life is lived in a gray area, friend. Not every coach who has ever been fired is useless. Not every coach who is great has never been fired. Gray area.

Simply that the majority of life is lived in a gray area, friend. Not every coach who has ever been fired is useless. Not every coach who is great has never been fired. Gray area.
Are you pointing that out because you think folks here believe that every coach who has ever been fired is useless?

Advertisement
Back