A name to think about

Advertisement
This is based on no info, other than the fact that we know this is his dream job. But if Cristobal says no, should we consider Mike Leach?

11-win season at Texas Tech, a terrible P5 program in a bad city. 11-win season at Washington State, a terrible P5 program in a bad city.

And now he’s at the ultimate proving ground and has beaten Texas A&M, Auburn, Kentucky and NC State already this season.

I hope we take a hard look there.
No.

How many coaches have won 11 games at two P5 programs and held their own in the SEC?

I get being hesitant with the gimmicks, but he’s won me over with his ability to get Ws at different places. He’s never had a good job and he still wins.
I mean, you do have a point. Not sold on him here, but you do have a point.
Screenshot_20211113-232803_Chrome.jpg

Advertisement
It's amazing how little this fan base knows about football.

Leach has been at bottom feeders of every conference and continually punches above his weight class.

We have people talking down on his bad losses at Washington State or Mississippi State but then clamoring for Mario like he doesn't lose bad games every year: including this year.

Advertisement
This is based on no info, other than the fact that we know this is his dream job. But if Cristobal says no, should we consider Mike Leach?

11-win season at Texas Tech, a terrible P5 program in a bad city. 11-win season at Washington State, a terrible P5 program in a bad city.

And now he’s at the ultimate proving ground and has beaten Texas A&M, Auburn, Kentucky and NC State already this season.

We go in pendulum swings on this board on who will and won't work. I have at least 3 guys in front of the Pirate: M Stoops, Mario and Lane.

That stated, D$ makes sound, salient points here. Pirate's not too old ala Butch and he has over-performed everywhere he has gone. I prefer all 3 of those guys and probably a few others (Aranda, Herman, etc.), but the truth is, if Leach were properly supported, I could see the Pirate running the ACC within 2 years and it would probably happen year 1.

Do I want him to run the ball more? Absolutely! But, would he win more games than anyone since a Butch-infused Larry Coker? I don't think there's any question he would.

If Leach were named HC, I would be excited. And, of course, we would instantly have the MOST entertaining press conference and refreshing honesty.

Blast away, but I support D$'s choice here. We could do (and have done) FAR worse!!

At least we'd all tune in to hear what he has to say after a win or a loss. He's a very entertaining guy and if he could pull winning off, we'd be the most entertaining team in the country.

He's also absolutely old school Canes in that he really and truly doesn't give a flying **** about what people thinks. He's a maverick, does it his way, and can cause him some unnecessary issues at times.

Wish we had done it ten years ago or thereabouts. Now, I don't know, but of he was hired I would stay following this team like I did 20 years ago. High flying offense, crazy coaching commentary, etc. Would it end up as a 4H circus or Barnem & Bailey in their prime? Who knows.

Advertisement

Should have hired him a decade ago

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back