A myth that needs to die

Why don’t you consider him a top 10? Who else can take over a Taggart run program and make them a playoff contender 3 years later?
Well it’s the pac 12 and I don’t consider oregon elite even if they are a playoff team. Maybe I’m a little tougher on him than most. His recruiting is elite, he’s a good not great coach. Im not sure who else on Mario’s tier could do the job at oregon that he has but everyone I consider a top 10 coach certainly could. He’s like a tier or so below that range for me as the total package

Advertisement
Well it’s the pac 12 and I don’t consider oregon elite even if they are a playoff team. Maybe I’m a little tougher on him than most. His recruiting is elite, he’s a good not great coach. Im not sure who else on Mario’s tier could do the job at oregon that he has but everyone I consider a top 10 coach certainly could. He’s like a tier or so below that range for me as the total package
I mean, he won at OSU who is a legit top 5 team. If that isn’t elite, idk what is. 4-1 vs top 10.

You aren’t exactly giving strong details to support your opinion. Pac 12 sucking isn’t a valid argument. ACC sucks but that doesn’t mean Dabo isn’t elite.

What evidence do you have of Mario hiring a great DC? Has he ever done it? That’s not really the point. Saban and Kirby are great recruiting head coaches who have an expertise on a side of the ball. They’re different from Mario in that regard
Andy Avalos who’s now at Boise St had a top 15 defense at Oregon.

But as I posted in a different thread. Mario had 5mil salary pool to hire coaches initially. More than Oregon has EVER had.

He hired Geoff Collins at FIU…

Give Mario a salary pool what Georgia and Alabama has and trust me he’ll make a great hire…

Advertisement
1637085810819.jpeg
I too, want this car. But I’m definitely going to kick tires around the Kia dealerships, just to gain perspective and make sure I’m getting what I’m paying for.

I think if he truly comes to Miami, his chance to be a top 10 coach is there. I don’t think he’s there yet
I personally think he’s top 10 right now. I really struggle to put 10 guys ahead of him, when you consider the whole package that comes with being a good coach. Saban, Smart, Riley and Jimbo are probably the easiest to put over him. Maybe Day but he’s still relatively new and still has a bunch of Urban left at Ohio State. But that would be 5. Who else honestly would get rated above him? Sure there’s definitely better game day coaches but most of those guys leave some to be desired on the trail.

Hes on the cusp of elite recruiting. But the difference between a #9 ranked class and a #25 ranked class isnt a big as most make it out to be. Those are marginal improvements. Stringing together top 8 classes is a diff story.

I mean, he won at OSU who is a legit top 5 team. If that isn’t elite, idk what is. 4-1 vs top 10.

You aren’t exactly giving strong details to support your opinion. Pac 12 sucking isn’t a valid argument. ACC sucks but that doesn’t mean Dabo isn’t elite.
I think Mario is also like only a few games above .500 in his career as a HC too lol

Advertisement
Mario to Miami has grown on me.

I think as a Canes fan I felt entitled for him to still want us, rather than us having to court him.

Need to put my bias aside and realize he'd be the best coach we have had here in a long time.

I still think Lane is who we end up getting, but I'm good with Mario as well.
Great point, as Miami fans we all need to humble ourselves about somehow owning the rights to Mario as a coach.

Btw, what’s a Bear ***? Asking for a friend.

How many teams are undefeated this year?

Saban was a 17.5 point favorite and lost. Winning every football game is very, very difficult. That’s why there’s only a team or two, at most, who do it every year.
Exactly, I'm tired of hearing that crap. Saban lost to Ole Miss. Good to great coaches always have wtf losses. Pete Carol would lose to Oregon St. 🤷🏿‍♂️

Show me what teams we played this year that had higher recruiting avgs on the roster... Here is a hint... Stop after the first team we played.
this, since manny has been the HC how many teams have had more talent than us? I'll be generous and say 4 2019 UF 2020 Clemson 21 Bama 21 MSU and i won't argue you on MSU who i feel like has better talent but if you take them away that's 3 teams. Manny is 19-15 in 3 years with only 3 non disputable teams we can say had better talent. that in itself is why he needs to go idc just give me a guy who knows how to win 9+ games on a yearly basis.

Advertisement
I personally think he’s top 10 right now. I really struggle to put 10 guys ahead of him, when you consider the whole package that comes with being a good coach. Saban, Smart, Riley and Jimbo are probably the easiest to put over him. Maybe Day but he’s still relatively new and still has a bunch of Urban left at Ohio State. But that would be 5. Who else honestly would get rated above him? Sure there’s definitely better game day coaches but most of those guys leave some to be desired on the trail.
I would put those 5 and a few more guys. I would take both Iowa guys before him personally, stoops, lane, dabo too

I would be happy with Mario, and he is the logical choice, but I don't want some lifer here. I don't know why that matters to people so much. Look at all the so called lifers, they are basically like union hacks that you can't get rid of no matter their performance. Dying a slow death that way I think. And the schools that had these lifers are in the EXACT same spot as us.
You mean like Saban, Beamer, Bob Stoops, and Bobby Bowden?Some may have stayed a little long, but competence and continuity can be synonymous.

IF he is willing to leave Eugene, you have to take him. Anybody who thinks otherwise is delusional. He's the only candidate who wouldn't bolt after winning big. He's a lifer. And would come for the right reasons. Loyal version of Butch Davis.
Nope they rather have Lane. Who would stay for 3 years max and leave us on NCAA sanctions.

Last edited:
Advertisement

I don't know if there's another team in the country who is still in playoff contention that's had a more impressive win (on the road!) than Oregon at OSU.

Of course your competition matters. Purdue has beaten Michigan State and Iowa this year. Both top 3 at the time and Purdue has 4 losses. Why? Because after beating Iowa they didn’t get to play Arizona, Cal and Colorado

Advertisement
Back