A&M game discussion

I feel sneakily confident about this team. I'm not sure why, its just a gut feeling.
It's hard not to think that way and its justified in my opinion.

Most important things in CFB in order (aside from coaching/playcalling/game planning/injury luck)
1) QB
2) OL
3) Getting pressure on the QB
4) CB play
5) Serviceable LB play

I feel good about 4/5. TBD on #4 but I think it can definitely get there. This team should have the makings of a solid season but lots of caveats and possible changes to that.. an injury to TVD and you're done, 1 guy down on the OL could completely change that room.

I don't see any scenario of injuries piling up so bad that we can't get pressure on the QB. We're too deep at DE. LB is thin but are more than serviceable with the starters and might even get "good" LB play.

I only see 1 team checking all 5 boxes on our schedule - FSU. But they're likely 1 injury to Verse away from having a mediocre pass rush and I've heard some questions on the CB play.

It'll be interesting to see how it shakes out. I could see anything from 4-8 (if TVD were to get hurt in camp or against A&M) to 11-1

Advertisement

Most important things in CFB in order (aside from coaching/playcalling/game planning/injury luck)
1) QB
2) OL
4) CB play
5) Serviceable LB play

I feel good about 4/5. TBD on #4 but I think it can definitely get there. This team should have the makings of a solid season but lots of caveats and possible changes to that.. an injury to TVD and you're done, 1 guy down on the OL could completely change that room.

I don't see any scenario of injuries piling up so bad that we can't get pressure on the QB. We're too deep at DE. LB is thin but are more than serviceable with the starters and might even get "good" LB play.

I only see 1 team checking all 5 boxes on our schedule - FSU. But they're likely 1 injury to Verse away from having a mediocre pass rush and I've heard some questions on the CB play.

It'll be interesting to see how it shakes out. I could see anything from 4-8 (if TVD were to get hurt in camp or against A&M) to 11-1
The scrimmage confirmed all of these things were there in larger samples at some point. But I agree on the records, which is why I go from game to game.

The scrimmage confirmed all of these things were there in larger samples at some point. But I agree on the records, which is why I go from game to game.
Yep. I'm avoiding the full season predictions for that reason.

Lots of teams on our schedule are also very volatile and unpredictable. A&M could be one of the best teams in the country or sub .500 again. No one knows.

Yep. I'm avoiding the full season predictions for that reason.

Lots of teams on our schedule are also very volatile and unpredictable. A&M could be one of the best teams in the country or sub .500 again. No one knows.

Aside from 1-3 every year, nobody ever knows anything. It’s both the most predictable sport at the top and the most unpredictable sport for the bottom 98%.

Advertisement

1) QB
2) OL
4) CB play
5) Serviceable LB play

Do you really see FSU as that well rounded? I haven't assessed all of their portal transfers. But to me everything that could go well did go well last year for them. I felt they were totally overrated. Not sure how they could fill all their gaps with the portal given how weak their class was last year, as well.

Do you really see FSU as that well rounded? I haven't assessed all of their portal transfers. But to me everything that could go well did go well last year for them. I felt they were totally overrated. Not sure how they could fill all their gaps with the portal given how weak their class was last year, as well.
I agree last year was flukey for them and they got alot of break go their way, but momentum and experience is real in cfb. And some way some how they were able to bring back a TON of production that were possible entrants for NFL. They got alot of players, I hate em but when you look at it they got players, Jordan travis developed alot, he is a problem for a DC with his legs, Verse is a problem, their RB and 6'7 Wr is a problem, their oline was much better than the last 5 years prior. Bethune was a good pickup, I dont know their roster or depth but I hope LSU and clem can trip them up early because if not, gonna be alot more hype than even they got in offseason

Their young QB is going to come onto the scene this year, he’s good.. former 5* in 2022 class.

He has a very quick release but he seems to stare down his receivers. @OrangeBowlMagic would bd a better qb eval than I could see.

Advertisement
This game and frankly A&M’s entire season will be decided on who controls the offense and who calls plays. Weigman will be very very good if Petrino is allowed full control. If Jimbo can’t let it go, they’ll be fighting for bowl eligibility in late November.

Need to put some pressure on them early and get Jimbo worked up. If we can bog down that offense in the first half and somehow get a lead on them, I can see him growing impatient and micromanaging Petrino. Its easy to be the CEO when its going smoothly. When things get uncomfortable, people usually revert back to their true selves.

There's a lengthy article on Connor Weigman, A&M QB, on their 247 board today. The cliff notes:

- Weigman was anticipated to take major steps forward with a season under his belt, the maturation of talented teammates such as Evan Stewart, and a new offensive coordinator in Bobby Petrino. These items were supposed to move him towards being the elite signal caller that A&M fans thought that they needed

- he has not distinguished himself from Max Johnson so far in camp. Everyone WANTS him to be the guy but he hasn't shown that so far.

- Johnson's experience (about a season and a half as a starter in college football), three years on a college campus, and being the son of a NFL quarterback has resulted in him maybe not being a elite playmaker but someone who consistently makes the best play possible.

-Their 247 reporter had this take, based on what he has seen and heard:

"I've said before that I think Weigman starts. But it's not as clear cut as of today as people probably want it to be based on what we've seen.
So you adjust your thinking...maybe more running plays, easier throws to get them going early in games, etc."
"I think Weigman is better with RPOs and being put on the move.I think Johnson is better at play action and drop back passing."

Could be a real opportunity for Guidry and his defense on September 9th...

I'm not sure how long it's going to take to click, but I expect the passing game to be MILES better than it was last year. Houston was legitimately prolific in just about every single passing number last season, and I don't think Tune is a better pure thrower than TVD is. We don't have Tank Dell here, I'll for sure admit that. But Houston was:

5th in the entire country in passing yards
10th in passer rating
8th in completion percentage
20th in yards per attempt
3rd in passing TDs (FORTY touchdowns)

You don't just accidentally have a season like that. Or do it with inept coaching. I hope this all gels quickly, but I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a massive jump up in the passing game this season.
Ain't no think about it. Dawson turned **** to sugar with that young man because he left a LOT on the field and that arm ain't in TvD universe.

Ajay having experience in this style offense means a lot more from a chemistry standpoint than people realize.

Lashley had us over 29 PPG WITH virtually NO running scheme

Dawson gone smoke that

Advertisement
There's a lengthy article on Connor Weigman, A&M QB, on their 247 board today. The cliff notes:

- Weigman was anticipated to take major steps forward with a season under his belt, the maturation of talented teammates such as Evan Stewart, and a new offensive coordinator in Bobby Petrino. These items were supposed to move him towards being the elite signal caller that A&M fans thought that they needed

- he has not distinguished himself from Max Johnson so far in camp. Everyone WANTS him to be the guy but he hasn't shown that so far.

- Johnson's experience (about a season and a half as a starter in college football), three years on a college campus, and being the son of a NFL quarterback has resulted in him maybe not being a elite playmaker but someone who consistently makes the best play possible.

"I've said before that I think Weigman starts. But it's not as clear cut as of today as people probably want it to be based on what we've seen.
So you adjust your thinking...maybe more running plays, easier throws to get them going early in games, etc."
"I think Weigman is better with RPOs and being put on the move.I think Johnson is better at play action and drop back passing."

This is unacceptable. Everyone told me Weigman was going to be this amazing force of nature who would pick Miami apart...

Still not ready to crown them just yet but FSU is very balanced offensively and defensively. They could have an elite run game and an elite passing game and a solid defense. Last year looks like it could be a fluke. Lost to 3 of the 5 teams with any pulse on their schedule.

Beat LSU in game 1 of the new regime and struggled to do it and needed lots of luck with injuries and self-inflicted wounds from LSU. End of the year LSU routes them in a rematch. Plus they had a warmup before LSU and LSU didn't have that luxury. The other decent W was Louisville and they barely pulled that one out. Louisville lead that game in the 4th quarter.

Then they feasted on 3 of the 4 biggest disappointments in CFB last year in us, Florida, and Oklahoma. 3 name brand wins with no substance.

I have no questions about QB or OL for them. They're going to get above average LB play as well. Their pass rush is good when Verse is playing. Without him, it could be very mid - if something happens to him.

I've seen some questions on their CB room. Apparently Fentrell Cypress might not be what they thought he was. TBD. IMO they lost they guy that would be their best cover corner this year in Omarion Cooper.

I think they check all of the boxes but aren't blowing any of those categories out of the water unless Jordan Travis is as good or better than last year - then they have elite QB play.

Key to that game might be the atmosphere at Hard Rock. I don't expect a 2017 ND type game but maybe a 2017 VT atmosphere.

Make it as uncomfortable as possible for Weigman or Johnson in their first true test in this new offense and start the first communication issues and discomfort in the Jimbo/Petrino dynamic. Really challenge that relationship and it might trickle down to whatever QB is in the game.

Then again, their secondary is night and day to ours. Their WRs can easily cook our DBs but they can't do it to their own.

Advertisement
I'll be attending this one, haven't been down to Miami for a game since ND in 2017, looking forward to it. But frankly, I'm worried about the Miami-OH game before even thinking about this one.
ND…now A&M?
So Mario’s pulling all the stops by getting you to come down, huh?

Key to that game might be the atmosphere at Hard Rock. I don't expect a 2017 ND type game but maybe a 2017 VT atmosphere.

Make it as uncomfortable as possible for Weigman or Johnson in their first true test in this new offense and start the first communication issues and discomfort in the Jimbo/Petrino dynamic. Really challenge that relationship and it might trickle down to whatever QB is in the game.

Then again, their secondary is night and day to ours. Their WRs can easily cook our DBs but they can't do it to their own.
I do.
Actually, I’m counting on it.

Another thing the writer highlighted was the fact that Weigman has only started 4 games.

Ole Miss(W): 63.6%.. 338 yards/4TDs

@ Auburn(L): 38.9% on 36 attempts.. 121 yards/1TD.. A&M scored 10 pts. No Achane

Massachusetts: 57.9% on 19 attempts... 191 yards/1TD.. A&M scored 20 pts. No Achane.

LSU: 66.7% on 18 attempts.. 155 yards/2TDs.. Achane had 215 yards on 38 carries

One road test, albeit one of the best atmospheres in all of CFB in Jordan Hare. And basically after that, they didn't want him throwing a lot and relied heavily on the run game.

IF he does end up starting, Guidry gotta hit him early and shake his confidence even more. Stop the run and force him to throw and make mistakes under pressure.

2017 VaTech atmosphere was still good af lol

Advertisement
Back