A&M game discussion

Advertisement
Figured the game is close enough to where we can start talking about the details. I’ll start:

Not going to try to make any predictions but I don't expect either team to look the same this year.

This game will probably set the bar for how this team and season play out or at least give us a very good idea of it.

Advertisement
I’ve never understood why teams have a full scrimmages just weeks before the season starts. I’ve never played organized football so I might be ignorant to the situation, so please forgive me.
You're forgiven, but you really can't understand why playing football would be a good idea before it matters? I believe you can. Just think about it. Take out the negatives of potential injuries and think about it.

Advertisement
I want to, but we can’t look past Miami OH…

A&M and Miami were so underwhelming last year that both teams need this game badly to set 2023 off on the right foot.

I’d like to see us coach to win.
amen to this, I always talk about last years game against Southern Miss. Going into the half we had to pull off a fleaflicker in order to take the lead. This first game should tell us what we are and what we arent.

Advertisement
amen to this, I always talk about last years game against Southern Miss. Going into the half we had to pull off a fleaflicker in order to take the lead. This first game should tell us what we are and what we arent.
Yes and no.

I agree that no team should be overlooked. But this is not a good team and it's also the first game of the season. This should give us a very basic idea of how we look but it shouldn't tell us any more than playing a Bethune Cookman type team.

I’ve never understood why teams have a full scrimmages just weeks before the season starts. I’ve never played organized football so I might be ignorant to the situation, so please forgive me.
When I played optimist football 50 years ago, we had at least 2 scrimmages against our own and 1 or 2 against others teams every year. Nothing like live action to iron out wrinkles and get into game shape.

Yes and no.

I agree that no team should be overlooked. But this is not a good team and it's also the first game of the season. This should give us a very basic idea of how we look but it shouldn't tell us any more than playing a Bethune Cookman type team.
To a degree I am with you, Bethune is way worse than the G5 teams we play by a significant margin. But I do get your point, last year we were BAD. IMO if we struggle to move the ball against a MAC team like we did against SoMiss we are in for another long season. Same goes for defense though I think thats our stronger side of the ball.

Advertisement
This is pretty much the most important game of the season for both teams. A&M's schedule is brutal and losing this game will mean they'll struggle to win 6 games.

If we win, we should be 5-0 heading into UNC. Assuming we beat A&M, we should beat UNC as well unless we vomit on ourselves.

That's means we'd be 6-0 at home aganist Clemson - it will probably be the primetime game of the week. The atmosphere will be 2017 ND-esque.

So yeah - this game will say a lot about both teams.

Last edited:
Yes and no.

1. Ohio’s Miami is WAY better than Bethune Cookman. What are we doing here? Miami is favored by 17 in that game, the line vs Bethune would be 45+. Miami is an FBS program who went to a bowl game last year. They are just as talented as a team like Middle Tennessee St. How we look in that game absolutely shows you some things about who the team is overall. Everything? Of course not. But it’s a significant game whereas an FCS team is absolutely not.

2. This “looking ahead” nonsense we see on here ever year 500 times is just that. None of us are playing on the team. We’re not gameplanning. We’re just fans. We’re allowed to look ahead, or back, or sideways as much as we want. It doesn’t impact the team in any possible way. So if you wanna talk A&M in this thread, go nuts. You’re not overlooking any opponents. The team will play Miami, then they’ll play A&M. Whether we talk zero or constantly about either one. It’s the coaches’ job to keep the players focused on one thing at a time. Nobody needs to keep a bunch of message board fans focused on anything.

Position stations/Inside run/7 on 7/Team only tell so much…have to evaluate when everybody is flying around with game situations.

Yep ignorant.

Moving on

1. Ohio’s Miami is WAY better than Bethune Cookman. What are we doing here? Miami is favored by 17 in that game, the line vs Bethune would be 45+. Miami is an FBS program who went to a bowl game last year. They are just as talented as a team like Middle Tennessee St. How we look in that game absolutely shows you some things about who the team is overall. Everything? Of course not. But it’s a significant game whereas an FCS team is absolutely not.

2. This “looking ahead” nonsense we see on here ever year 500 times is just that. None of us are playing on the team. We’re not gameplanning. We’re just fans. We’re allowed to look ahead, or back, or sideways as much as we want. It doesn’t impact the team in any possible way. So if you wanna talk A&M in this thread, go nuts. You’re not overlooking any opponents. The team will play Miami, then they’ll play A&M. Whether we talk zero or constantly about either one. It’s the coaches’ job to keep the players focused on one thing at a time. Nobody needs to keep a bunch of message board fans focused on anything.

Yep… it’s definitely the “mopes” that make the Board negative …

“Mopes” running around ****ing in cheerios this morning ….

Advertisement
Back