A&M game discussion

amen to this, I always talk about last years game against Southern Miss. Going into the half we had to pull off a fleaflicker in order to take the lead. This first game should tell us what we are and what we arent.

Bethune was converting 3rd and longs and marching on our defense last year. I had a sinking feeling that our defense was going to suck, and it did.

Advertisement
I'm happy we play Miami (OH) instead of Bethune or FAMU in game 1. Play a better opponent, get dialed it sooner. It could play an advantage going into the TAMU game. TAMU plays New Mexico week 1, they only won 2 games last year.

Get a little more comfortable in the system by going full throttle week 1, instead of not trying to show everything cause you're insanely superior to FAMU or Bethune.

1. Ohio’s Miami is WAY better than Bethune Cookman. What are we doing here? Miami is favored by 17 in that game, the line vs Bethune would be 45+. Miami is an FBS program who went to a bowl game last year. They are just as talented as a team like Middle Tennessee St. How we look in that game absolutely shows you some things about who the team is overall. Everything? Of course not. But it’s a significant game whereas an FCS team is absolutely not.

2. This “looking ahead” nonsense we see on here ever year 500 times is just that. None of us are playing on the team. We’re not gameplanning. We’re just fans. We’re allowed to look ahead, or back, or sideways as much as we want. It doesn’t impact the team in any possible way. So if you wanna talk A&M in this thread, go nuts. You’re not overlooking any opponents. The team will play Miami, then they’ll play A&M. Whether we talk zero or constantly about either one. It’s the coaches’ job to keep the players focused on one thing at a time. Nobody needs to keep a bunch of message board fans focused on anything.
That's what we're doing, huh?

I'm not sure what you think I was implying but I said YES should get an idea. But that's it. It's just an idea. I don't know what to tell you if you think we shouldn't easily beat a team like this or MTSU (we witnessed David and Goliath with that in my opinion). How we look against a mediocre MAC team is not likely to be how we'll look against A&M or any other team at or above our talent level.

This is pretty much the most important game of the season for both teams. A&M's schedule is brutal and losing this game will mean they'll struggle to win 6 games.

If we win, we should be 5-0 heading into UNC. Assuming we beat A&M, we should beat UNC as well unless we vomit on ourselves.

That's means we'd be 6-0 at home aganist Clemson - it will probably be the primetime game of the week. The atmosphere will be 2017 ND-esque.

So yeah - this game will say a lot about both teams.
Maye is going to tear us apart. This team has always struggled with UNC and I expect it to continue.

Advertisement
That's what we're doing, huh?

I'm not sure what you think I was implying but I said YES should get an idea. But that's it. It's just an idea. I don't know what to tell you if you think we shouldn't easily beat a team like this or MTSU (we witnessed David and Goliath with that in my opinion). How we look against a mediocre MAC team is not likely to be how we'll look against A&M or any other team at or above our talent level.

Agree with that. Just saying that playing Miami tells you something. Playing Bethune tells you literally nothing. Should win both games easily, yes. But Miami and Bethune do not belong in the same paragraph.

Hopefully we look good against Miami, win by 3 scores, and keep everyone healthy. Then the inferno needs to come the next week vs A&M.

Agree with that. Just saying that playing Miami tells you something. Playing Bethune tells you literally nothing. Should win both games easily, yes. But Miami and Bethune do not belong in the same paragraph.

Hopefully we look good against Miami, win by 3 scores, and keep everyone healthy. Then the inferno needs to come the next week vs A&M.

I agree with this…while the fans should pack the Rock against A&M anyway, it would be a helluva lot better to not limp into the game either injured or off a close win against Miami OH vs a solid 3 score win…

Their defense will be very good to maybe elite.

And they have the pieces on offense.

Questions will be:

1. Will Jimbo actually release his grip on the offense?

2. How is their QB going to do when actually throwing the ball downfield?
Last year they brought him along slowly, and just asked him to not turn the ball over. Which he did really well. But his average depth of throw was horrible because he was basically just throwing the ball to his short yardage safety valve.

I want to, but we can’t look past Miami OH…

A&M and Miami were so underwhelming last year that both teams need this game badly to set 2023 off on the right foot.

I’d like to see us coach to win.
Agreed. One game at a time. No need to get caught with our pants down... again.
You guys can skip this thread if its that big a deal, lol.. Even start a miami vs. miami thread, Ill be in both but you can probably even block this one if need be..

Advertisement
You guys can skip this thread if its that big a deal, lol.. Even start a miami vs. miami thread, Ill be in both but you can probably even block this one if need be..
This Is Cool GIF by MOODMAN

A&M will come down to the trenches. Can we protect Tyler and can we create pressure on their QB. We need to double up Stewart the whole game. He's a game breaker for them. I'm confident Guidry will call a good game and keep us in it if the offense can manage to keep their end of the bargain. A win for us would be HUGE for the confidence on the team. I'm not ready to say it is a season killer if we lose, but it 100% could propel us to a huge year (10 wins) if we can get that W.

Not going to try to make any predictions but I don't expect either team to look the same this year.

This game will probably set the bar for how this team and season play out or at least give us a very good idea of it.

It’s a massive game. A win springboard the rest of the season. A loss makes everyone and the team likely believe **** we suck again and here we go. Got to get this W on primetime abc matchup

Their defense will be very good to maybe elite.

And they have the pieces on offense.

Questions will be:

1. Will Jimbo actually release his grip on the offense?

2. How is their QB going to do when actually throwing the ball downfield?
Last year they brought him along slowly, and just asked him to not turn the ball over. Which he did really well. But his average depth of throw was horrible because he was basically just throwing the ball to his short yardage safety valve.

Similarly

Our defense should be better to maybe good.

And we have pieces on offense.

Questions will be:

1. Will Mario actually release his grip on the offense?

2. How is our QB going to respond to the new offense?

Advertisement
Playing the other Miami week one is a nice test. By test, I don't mean it's going to be a battle or even a close game. It will just give us a basic idea of what our team looks like and what our coaches are trying to do. Similar to the Southern Miss game last year. Yeah, the final score looked alright but that game had a ton of red flags. I want to see what our coaches' game plans are and what adjustments they'll make should they have any adversity. It's much better than a game against an FCS team where we can just roll over them.

I agree with this…while the fans should pack the Rock against A&M anyway, it would be a helluva lot better to not limp into the game either injured or off a close win against Miami OH vs a solid 3 score win…

For sure. And this is all I meant with my Miami vs Bethune thoughts. There is literally no chance we don’t beat Bethune by 35+. We could play our F game and win by 35. But play your F game vs Miami and you’re in a dogfight.

You’re correct though, from a perception point of view, if we beat the **** outta Miami, there will be even more excitement for A&M. If we sleepwalk thru that game then it’s “here we go again” and there’s not nearly the same level of excitement for A&M, in my opinion.

How bout we prove this is the Not ******* Around crew this year and just beat the everloving **** out of every team we’re supposed to?

Advertisement
Maye is going to tear us apart. This team has always struggled with UNC and I expect it to continue.
Eh, they lost 65% of their WR production from last year in Downs and Green. They just lost Tez Walker to injury for the year as well. The rest of his weapons are unknown/unproven at this level and they are breaking in a new coordinator. Longo for whatever reason just seemed to have our number. I think we get them this year.

As awful as we were last year we lost by 3 and that game had lots of crazy fluke plays go UNC's way + a RZ Knighton fumble when we had all the momentum. Not saying it'll be an easy W by any means but acting like UNC gonna tear us apart easily is a stretch even by mope standards. I expect a close game.

I was using hyperbole with the Bethune comment. My point was playing a cupcake (can you agree that this is a cupcake game?) will not tell us everything we need to know. I was also speaking more to the mouth-breathers on both sides that will immediately say something ridiculous like "15-0!! Number six this season." or "We should shoot Mario and Co into the sun and burn down Hecht"

My guess is that by 7:00 P.M. on September 9th, we will have an indication on how “good” or how “bad” we are going to be this season. But having said that, I agree with others who say we can’t overlook Miami of Ohio. It’s a much better team than MTSU.

Advertisement
Back