A&M game discussion

There really is no discussion. This is a very winnable game and is a MUST WIN. Sooner or later a losing program needs a signature win and this is the one. Mario got paid a lot of money not only to recruit but to elevate this program. He needs plenty of wins this season and I believe 9 is achievable but to make a statement 10 is the number. STOP FINDING EXCUSES like too much player turnover, need 3-4 years, and the other team is better than us. That's total hogwash. I will be thoroughly disappointment if we lose to Jimbo and so will so many recruits. Mario needs to out coach Jimbo period.

Advertisement
I think people need to temper their expectations and not get too invested in what it means if we don't beat AtM.

For as much as they have been mediocre, watching their recruiting should inform that they are a potential juggernaut if things come together and the talent is unlocked.

Like us, there are some significant unknowns coming into this season, and it should not really surprise anyone if their experienced new play caller makes a difference, their 5 star QB is actually good, and their top 10 roster talent beats most teams on their schedule.

That isn't to say that we can't win the game, but I expect them to be betting favorites going in.
I think A&M will finish the season much higher than their current ranking even if they lose to us

There’s just so much talent in the sophomore and RS frosh class

There really is no discussion. This is a very winnable game and is a MUST WIN. Sooner or later a losing program needs a signature win and this is the one. Mario got paid a lot of money not only to recruit but to elevate this program. He needs plenty of wins this season and I believe 9 is achievable but to make a statement 10 is the number. STOP FINDING EXCUSES like too much player turnover, need 3-4 years, and the other team is better than us. That's total hogwash. I will be thoroughly disappointment if we lose to Jimbo and so will so many recruits. Mario needs to out coach Jimbo period.

IMG_2366.gif

Petrino says hold my beer. Just because we want to believe we’re ready to beat a team that’s been recruiting at a high level for many years now doesn’t make it so.

you can’t look at their team and just highlight their additions. Compared to the team that played us they are better at quarterback by a mile and Stewart and Muhammad are very good and will be better. Plus they had a bunch of suspensions. Both teams will be better. Maybe our improvement will have a larger delta.

Playing max Johnson (pause) last year made it an easier game. There’s a reason Vegas has us as a home dog. Although home dogs usually are ripe for the picking

Exactly. A2M is going to be good this year provided their QB doesn’t lose games. And everyone think Petrino is ready for retirement but he’s a freaking offensive genius.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Love these threads.

Pretty much comes down to their QB's impact and our ability to control their DL. Their WR1 (forgetting his name) is elite.

I wonder how much of that underrated secondary they've replaced.
Last year our OL opened enough room for us. Their QB played like trash.

We have to stop the run. Until I see us do that, I’m unsure how good this defense is.

We don’t true DT for run stopping. We got guys who can shoot gaps and rush the passer but that will get you gashed. We might have to blitz to stop the run and leave our DB’s on an island.

Think the game will come down to turnovers, i think its gonna be a grind it out defensive type game. Limit mistakes, take advantage of opportunities. Take calculated risks, none of that ***** **** like last year, if we in position to win the game or take the lead go for it. Play to win that mf

This. If we can rattle that QB’s cage we have a good shot. If he has time to execute Petrino’s offense and can be accurate we’re hosed.

Advertisement
They won’t have their issues worked out fast enough to deal with Miami I can tell you that. Bryce is just as aggressive as grimes but at the position he’ll be playing that’s not really an issue. But he’s the guy we need to key on. Wherever he’s aligned you can pretty much guess the coverages if you’re savvy. We’re going to be able to run by them though. They’re not as good in press this year. Arroyo/skinner will be open up the seams but we really need a WR1 type performance from young to roll a safety to his side cause I think they’re gonna play two deep

Does Harrell change things?

I'm reading all this weather stuff. Texas is hot. Everyday is over 100 and it never rains. Almost every 10 day forecast I've seen hoping for rain this summer will have a day 8 or so days out predicted. But it never happens. Just never ******* rains. 30% humidity too.

I'm looking at Miamis weather and I'm seeing 69% humidity but daily rain and temperatures in the 80s and 90s.

It doesn't get to the 80s in Houston until about 10 pm. The only way weather becomes an advantage is if it starts to rain.

One thousand percent both teams PROJECT to be very different this year. It's key to remember that. Cause if we're thinking we'll be going up against that same team or even close to it, I would tell you that you're setting yourself up for palpitations already.

When it relates to this game as a bar for the season, other than Clemson and potentially fspoo I strongly doubt we'll see a team at this level again. I could obviously be wrong and they'll still have QB issues. But from my own history with petrino the guy is **** near elite with his development of qbs(hopefully not this quickly)& his offenses have a history of giving us all types of fits. Honestly I'm more hyped for this game than any for the rest of the season. I think poo will be okay but they definitely aren't some world beaters. I've been said I like Travis. That kid has tons of heart. The key in beating them is all about getting physical at the line with their receivers and slowing down the run. Clemson should be Clemson. Klubnick or whatever his name is still semi untested & therefore he's beatable. We just gotta stretch the field on them.

Exactly how I feel. Of the 3, we have the best shot vs the Noles. Petrino is the X factor with the A2M game. I never want to predict a win against him. And Clemson will be a force this season now that they’ve settled the QB spot.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
Wouldn’t surprise me if both teams score in the 30s. Might as well have not played them last season, for how different both teams are.

Jimbo is NOT giving up play calling.

He's been stand-offish with media when asked directly if they would be running the Jimbo pro-style from under center or if they would run Petrino's power spread from the gun. But from Jimbo's own mouth during SEC media days, during a smaller breakout session he said he would consider Petrino's "input" if he thought it was helpful. That's a dead give away.

Jimbo has the biggest ego in the sport and he's going to drive this thing off a cliff this year. He's going to leave a smoking crater in College Station just like he did in Tallahassee.

Advertisement
Back