-6 vs UVA

We might have had some trouble with UVA last year, but their QB was dropping DIMES all game. I don't think their new QB is as accurate.

Advertisement
In 2016 we held them to 14 points. Benkert is gone. Our OLB’s were worked all first half last year. Manny adjusted at half and they totaled 100 yards in the 2nd half and the lone TD came off a short field because of a blocked punt. The striker role was developed basically because of this offense.

Our guys are gonna hear all week about how Virginia is going to upset Miami this week. And if you think we sleep walk into this game with the veteran leadership we have after the game they gave us last year check yourself. If we run the ball like we should, and don’t have any costly turnovers we beat them by 2+ scores.

The cheap scores they made on us in the first half at home last year put their QB in Canton. Diaz is Virginia’s prison *****, there’s no other way to put it.

Advertisement
early money watched the FSU-miami game, and thinks that's reflective of miami as a whole. it's not. that game is always going to be close, regardless of the teams' abilities.

14 point spread last week was dumb. so is 6 this week. easy $, bet on miami.

Actually, I think the bettors are watching our special teams, which is costing us 6 - 7 points a game in my estimation. Without total domination by our defense (like 2nd half of FSU, which is difficult to do every game), we will lose one or two road games the rest of the way if ST don't improve dramatically.

This is a team that we should beat by two to three scores regardless of where and when we play them. That said, our special teams remain a gigantic liability. Every time we shank a punt or allow a big return it is effectively the same as committing a turnover because we hand the defense a short field to defend. You know what happens when you give teams lots of turnovers....

I get that the FSU game should be close and when we play good/elite teams, but this needs to be a UNC game scoring affair for us. We need to start rolling these middle-of-the-pack Coastal teams. UVA always plays us tough, but we need to put on a show.

No reason for this game to not be a 45-24 type of affair...that's how we did average teams in the Big East back in the day, like the West Virginias of the CFB world.
When we're back then we will roll these middle-of-the-pack Coastal teams.

I think we're a few recruiting classes away from this being a formality.

We'll win on Saturday, it just won't be a comfortable victory - not coming off that FSU game.

Advertisement
I’m in Richmond right now I’m going to be making the trek to the stadium Saturday

They play good defense but I'm not nearly as concerned with their offense. They peppered Miami's 4-3 with short passes out of the spread in the first half last year. Manny made adjustments and shut them down in the second half. The defense this year has been tweaked again to match up better against spread teams. Finley missing the first half might hurt a bit but I'm not overly concerned. Miami has one of the top pass defenses in the nation this year. I'm not counting on Miami's offense to light it up but the defense will hold up. I'm thinking something like 24-10 Miami.

Advertisement
UVA with two weeks to prepare and UM on the road coming off a tough emotional game against their rival. Enough to make me nervous.

I also think the team will not be sharp next week because the fsu game was emotionally draining. We don't have to worry about Homer, Dallas, JT4, Shaq, Bandy, or JJ being ready because they will always bring their A game.

Perry has the ability to carry team, and I have a ton of confidence in him after the fsu performance. Perry easily could have forced throws being so far behind on the scoreboard, but he had ice water in his veins. Not to knock Rosier, but there is absolutely no chance Rosier wins that game. Completion percentage wasn't great, but the big time throws Perry completed (especially on fourth down and theTD tosses) required elite precision passing, which is something Rosier just can't do.

The OL, even when motivated isn't great, so if they don't have energy it's going to require tremendous effort from the skill players and good playcalling by Richt to overcome the lousy OL. Hopefully moving Donaldson back to G solves the offensive line woes. Probably will just have to work around it.

On defense, the DL played like their lives depended on it against Fsu. Don't see that happening again next week. Not a slight on them, but I think that will be a tough feat to replicate against UVA as the DL was fueled by Nole hatred at home. Defense will give up some points. Given the possibility that both the DL and OL will not play their best game, Perry has to make the most of his opportunities. I see another sub 55% passing game because of the pressure, but he will throw dimes when he has to.

Unfortunately, I think this game comes down to special teams. I fully expect JT4 to take one to the house only to have it called back because our very special teams have apparently never learned how to block on returns. Of course, Spicer will shank kicks as well giving UVA short fields, and that's if he actually gets the punt off ,which is not a given as I expect UVA to blow through the line. Richt has seen this problem for three years and done jack sh+t to improve the special teams coaching. If we lose it will be because of another special teams disaster, which is 100% on Richt. If special teams somehow can manage just a MEDIOCRE performance, Miami wins a close one 28-24.

BYU vs Texas (this game got Manny fired)
UVA vs Miami last year (they put up crazy numbers against us last year)

2016 was Broncos first year at UVA

In the second half they had 102 yards of offense. Miami was sleep walking in the first half after the Notre Dame game. Sure, we could come out flat Saturday night. We shall see.

Advertisement
They play good defense but I'm not nearly as concerned with their offense. They peppered Miami's 4-3 with short passes out of the spread in the first half last year. Manny made adjustments and shut them down in the second half. The defense this year has been tweaked again to match up better against spread teams. Finley missing the first half might hurt a bit but I'm not overly concerned. Miami has one of the top pass defenses in the nation this year. I'm not counting on Miami's offense to light it up but the defense will hold up. I'm thinking something like 24-10 Miami.

Wasn't it D Smith (not Finley) that got the targeting penalty?

If Perry throws the ball like he did on the drive where he hit Thomas and then Brevin, then we win by 28. If he slogs through a couple quarters, then it’ll be another dogfight.

UVA has weapons on offense. And they’re well-coached.

Advertisement
Back