4 more days for a Portal WR. Tell me the good news.

Bought? As much as Lane gets fired and/or takes other jobs, he only leases stuff...he's a Platinum customer at Rent-a-Center...he picks up his mail at Mailboxes, Etc...checkers, not chess...

Haha - Had to be in FL or Cali. There's no Rolls dealers in AL or MS.

Advertisement
Good morning friend,

I disagree, if Miami overpays with FU levels of money……. better players will come.

Miami also needs to understand their own market value is still low despite improvements in the right direction. Miami is basically the Jacksonville jaguars of the ACC trying to enlisted good players at market value
This a million times over. Overpay now, get more immediate success, then recruiting will be so much easier and you won't have to pay as much. If you don't pay now, them look like ****, you'll REALLY have to overpay in the coming years.

Not sure that's right.

We have a first-round draft choice as QB 1.

His backups were an elite QB who had his own tv show, whom everyone thought was good enough to start last year (Gracia)

The backup to him is another highly recruited QB with freakish athletic ability (Jaccuri).

Sorry, but if WR's we are targeting aren't coming here, it's not because of the QB room.
Look I love our QB room and agree with the logic of your post. However, I’m not a junior elite WR who tend to make emotional decisions based off perception/social media clout and is being sold loads of BS by some of slickest salesman in the country who also happen to have loads of cash.

When going up against most school this is a moot point but when these kids visit OSU, USC, Bama, UGA and TAMU they’re going to sell them on not only having a comparable room on paper but constantly trying to over recruit QB regardless of who the starter is and which elite QB they signed the previous class. The 2 QBs that the staff is currently evaluating may turn out to be the best QBs of the class and if either is the 2nd QB taken in this class as I suspect I think that’s something you can sell the elite WR’s on. But right now, it’s just another point for those schools to negatively recruit us on.

Look I love our QB room and agree with the logic of your post. However, I’m not a junior elite WR who tend to make emotional decisions based off perception/social media clout and is being sold loads of BS by some of slickest salesman in the country who also happen to have loads of cash.

When going up against most school this is a moot point but when these kids visit OSU, USC, Bama, UGA and TAMU they’re going to sell them on not only having a comparable room on paper but constantly trying to over recruit QB regardless of who the starter is and which elite QB they signed the previous class. The 2 QBs that the staff is currently evaluating may turn out to be the best QBs of the class and if either is the 2nd QB taken in this class as I suspect I think that’s something you can sell the elite WR’s on. But right now, it’s just another point for those schools to negatively recruit us on.

Why is USC, uga, and tamu on there regarding qbs?.

Not sure that's right.

We have a first-round draft choice as QB 1.

His backups were an elite QB who had his own tv show, whom everyone thought was good enough to start last year (Gracia)

The backup to him is another highly recruited QB with freakish athletic ability (Jaccuri).

Sorry, but if WR's we are targeting aren't coming here, it's not because of the QB room.
TVD has zero impact on the '23 class. Those kids know they aren't playing with him.

So all we have are 2 unknown highly rated HS QBs and an OC/HC combo with a plenty of questions.

We'll attract plenty of players at every position including WR. But I don't blame them for waiting to see what Mario/Gattis rolls out this year. they're so dependent on the system and the play calling as well as the QB play.

Good thing is you can be really good with a bunch of good receivers and good TEs and good catching RBs even if you don't have an elite WR.

Advertisement
This a million times over. Overpay now, get more immediate success, then recruiting will be so much easier and you won't have to pay as much. If you don't pay now, them look like ****, you'll REALLY have to overpay in the coming years.
What happens if you overpay, you ruin your WR room culture, and your "elite" WR busts? Whether it's because of him or the QB or the offense, it won't matter, we won't get another elite WR for awhile.

Ruiz keeps mentioning fair market value for a reason.

You can't just pay a kid so much money that it's not even competitive.

Why is USC, uga, and tamu on there regarding qbs?.
USC because Riley has a pretty good track record he can sell recruits on. They also have a pretty comparable room and have Malachi Nelson committed. The other 2 continuously recruit over the QB recruit from previous year.

Edit: I also included them because those are all the schools we are allegedly going against for our Elite WR targets

Last edited:
TVD has zero impact on the '23 class. Those kids know they aren't playing with him.

So all we have are 2 unknown highly rated HS QBs and an OC/HC combo with a plenty of questions.

We'll attract plenty of players at every position including WR. But I don't blame them for waiting to see what Mario/Gattis rolls out this year. they're so dependent on the system and the play calling as well as the QB play.

Good thing is you can be really good with a bunch of good receivers and good TEs and good catching RBs even if you don't have an elite WR.

BUT, unless those WR get a lot of burn and produce, you’re still selling an offense built around other positions explaining to the elite WR what may be if they come, no?

Wins are wins

Advertisement
Haven’t seen him discussed: Khalil Brantley have a chance to get some burn? Or still a couple years out

No hes gonna play. Looked good in the spring game...HBACK role coming out of the backfield. Khalil is a great route runner...but in the spring game hs showed toughness in blocking/sticking his nose in a bit..and thats something he never done in high school much

Advertisement
“they overpaid” and “they promised him the starting job” sounds like something straight from the gator playbook.

Advertisement
Nope.

We're losing some players to Ole Miss and Arkansas. This isn't about NIL and it's not about the last 20 years.

I think a lot of people are justifiably in wait and see mode with the Gattis/Mario combo to see what the offense looks like. Same reason why we haven't had an elite WR commit from HS yet.

Did you know that last year, even with their QB issues, Michigan was #2 in the country in explosive plays over 50 yards? And that Mario is essentially trying to emulate the Alabama offense from 2016 on that evolved from when the whole Crimson Tide staff went to visit Tom Herman and incorporate in his concepts?

‘Pure power spread’

Cristobal’s biggest get — offensive coordinator Josh Gattis — came two months after he accepted the Miami job. It had to wait for the right time, though.

As he was with the defense, Cristobal had a vision for what he believed would fit best for the Canes. He wanted to run “a pure power spread.” Back when he was in Tuscaloosa, Alabama shifted offensively during his four years there. A turning point was when Bama lost to Ohio State in the 2015 Sugar Bowl after the Buckeyes put up 537 yards and 42 points on Saban’s defense. “We all got on a plane and flew to Houston (to see former OSU offensive coordinator Tom Herman),” Cristobal said. “We made a huge change at Alabama and it was a combination of a lot of coaches having a lot of input. It was about utilizing multiple personnel groups to get downhill in the run game but who could also throw the ball over your head.”

One of those home runs was when Cristobal was able to get Gattis, the Michigan offensive coordinator who had just won the Broyles Award, honoring the nation’s top assistant, to fly down to Miami for a visit the first weekend in February. It already had been a turbulent week for Wolverines football. Jim Harbaugh, who left Ann Arbor to spend signing day interviewing for the Minnesota Vikings head-coaching vacancy, flew back to Michigan without being offered the NFL job. The 38-year-old Gattis, who had been a key part in Michigan winning the Big Ten title for the first time in 17 seasons and making the College Football Playoff, was thought to be a possible candidate to take over the Wolverines if Harbaugh left.

Gattis’ trip to Miami got delayed a day because he was snowed in in Michigan. But less than 24 hours after he arrived in Miami, Gattis was offered the job and accepted. Before Gattis visited UM, Cristobal already knew he had a coach who used his version of the power spread to lead the Big Ten in rushing and also rank No. 2 in the country in plays of 50 yards or longer. Cristobal’s old OC at Oregon, Joe Moorhead, was a mentor to Gattis from their time together at Penn State. Saban was a mentor, too. Gattis had coached receivers at Alabama a few years after Cristobal left Tuscaloosa. The coaches both had raved to Cristobal about Gattis.

Aside from the snow delay, Gattis’ visit couldn’t have gone any better. Cristobal was wowed by him. “He has a high-level football IQ and was detailed,” Cristobal said. “He knows how to beat coverages and create explosive plays. A lot of times the offensive coordinators you talk to don’t know what’s going on up front. That’s not him. He knows it front to back. And he had such a presence. You could see how he could really carry a room.

“(The OC hire) ended up a lot better than we could’ve even hoped for. And it shows in the way he runs practice and teaches.”

Did you know that last year, even with their QB issues, Michigan was #2 in the country in explosive plays over 50 yards? And that Mario is essentially trying to emulate the Alabama offense from 2016 on that evolved from when the whole Crimson Tide staff went to visit Tom Herman and incorporate in his concepts?

‘Pure power spread’

Cristobal’s biggest get — offensive coordinator Josh Gattis — came two months after he accepted the Miami job. It had to wait for the right time, though.

As he was with the defense, Cristobal had a vision for what he believed would fit best for the Canes. He wanted to run “a pure power spread.” Back when he was in Tuscaloosa, Alabama shifted offensively during his four years there. A turning point was when Bama lost to Ohio State in the 2015 Sugar Bowl after the Buckeyes put up 537 yards and 42 points on Saban’s defense. “We all got on a plane and flew to Houston (to see former OSU offensive coordinator Tom Herman),” Cristobal said. “We made a huge change at Alabama and it was a combination of a lot of coaches having a lot of input. It was about utilizing multiple personnel groups to get downhill in the run game but who could also throw the ball over your head.”

One of those home runs was when Cristobal was able to get Gattis, the Michigan offensive coordinator who had just won the Broyles Award, honoring the nation’s top assistant, to fly down to Miami for a visit the first weekend in February. It already had been a turbulent week for Wolverines football. Jim Harbaugh, who left Ann Arbor to spend signing day interviewing for the Minnesota Vikings head-coaching vacancy, flew back to Michigan without being offered the NFL job. The 38-year-old Gattis, who had been a key part in Michigan winning the Big Ten title for the first time in 17 seasons and making the College Football Playoff, was thought to be a possible candidate to take over the Wolverines if Harbaugh left.

Gattis’ trip to Miami got delayed a day because he was snowed in in Michigan. But less than 24 hours after he arrived in Miami, Gattis was offered the job and accepted. Before Gattis visited UM, Cristobal already knew he had a coach who used his version of the power spread to lead the Big Ten in rushing and also rank No. 2 in the country in plays of 50 yards or longer. Cristobal’s old OC at Oregon, Joe Moorhead, was a mentor to Gattis from their time together at Penn State. Saban was a mentor, too. Gattis had coached receivers at Alabama a few years after Cristobal left Tuscaloosa. The coaches both had raved to Cristobal about Gattis.

Aside from the snow delay, Gattis’ visit couldn’t have gone any better. Cristobal was wowed by him. “He has a high-level football IQ and was detailed,” Cristobal said. “He knows how to beat coverages and create explosive plays. A lot of times the offensive coordinators you talk to don’t know what’s going on up front. That’s not him. He knows it front to back. And he had such a presence. You could see how he could really carry a room.

“(The OC hire) ended up a lot better than we could’ve even hoped for. And it shows in the way he runs practice and teaches.”
Yeah I read that article too. Seems like that's a meaningless stat. What about 40 yard plays? Or even better, 20 yard plays?

Their leading receiver had 627 yards and 3 TDs

They also ran the ball 60% of the time and threw it 40%.

If I'm a wide receiver, I want to see if that changes with a better quarterback.

Yeah I read that article too. Seems like that's a meaningless stat. What about 40 yard plays? Or even better, 20 yard plays?

Their leading receiver had 627 yards and 3 TDs

They also ran the ball 60% of the time and threw it 40%.

If I'm a wide receiver, I want to see if that changes with a better quarterback.
Gattis leans on the teams strengths.

Year one: 54/46 run/pass

Year two: 45/55 run/pass

Year three: 59/41 run/pass

Difference? Shea Patterson, and Joe Milton years one and two, Mcnamara year three.

Advertisement
Back