4 more days for a Portal WR. Tell me the good news.

Gattis leans on the teams strengths.

Year one: 54/46 run/pass

Year two: 45/55 run/pass

Year three: 59/41 run/pass

Difference? Shea Patterson, and Joe Milton years one and two, Mcnamara year three.
Thanks for sharing those numbers.

Year 2, the only year where he threw more than 50%, was a small sample size because of Covid. They went 2-4 and played from behind most games, including blowout losses to Indiana and Wisconsin.

I'm just trying to understand/have an explanation why we haven't had the WRs transfer that we wanted or the HS commits yet (besides Washington). Just from my perspective, there's enough questions out there that if I was a WR, I'd want to wait and see.

I have no doubt personally that Mario and Gattis are a great fit and will dominate the ACC with their style and how well they compliment each other.

I'm not disregarding Gattis at all as a playcaller or a coach. Broyles award winners have to earn it and he definitely did and has proven himself as an upper echelon OC.

But I'm just saying if I was a WR, I'd want to see what they come up with. And that might be the explanation why we didn't get a transfer we wanted or a Jalen Brown or Hykeem Williams type commit yet.

Advertisement

Year 2, the only year where he threw more than 50%, was a small sample size because of Covid. They went 2-4 and played from behind most games, including blowout losses to Indiana and Wisconsin.

I'm just trying to understand/have an explanation why we haven't had the WRs transfer that we wanted or the HS commits yet (besides Washington). Just from my perspective, there's enough questions out there that if I was a WR, I'd want to wait and see.

I have no doubt personally that Mario and Gattis are a great fit and will dominate the ACC with their style and how well they compliment each other.

I'm not disregarding Gattis at all as a playcaller or a coach. Broyles award winners have to earn it and he definitely did and has proven himself as an upper echelon OC.

But I'm just saying if I was a WR, I'd want to see what they come up with. And that might be the explanation why we didn't get a transfer we wanted or a Jalen Brown or Hykeem Williams type commit yet.
HS Commits - We have 2 already.

Look at the ones we’re hard on.
None but I think one are committed.
That’s the kids wanting to have their moments plain and simple.

- Jean
- Hykeem
- Jalen
- Tyler Williams
- Innis
- Tate
- Joseph (only committed, flip candidate)

Transfer

This was a case of having a budget and a lot of receivers in the portal being too similar to what’s on the roster.

We’ve attempted to get big ones but either they got the money matched by their teams (Worthy, Flowers), we didn’t want to put all the eggs in one basket (Addison) or the player didn’t match our budget.

And I like that we don’t just get players to get players like Mandy.

It’s a waiting game.

HS Commits - We have 2 already.

Look at the ones we’re hard on.
None but I think one are committed.
That’s the kids wanting to have their moments plain and simple.

- Jean
- Hykeem
- Jalen
- Tyler Williams
- Innis
- Tate
- Joseph (only committed, flip candidate)

Transfer

This was a case of having a budget and a lot of receivers in the portal being too similar to what’s on the roster.

We’ve attempted to get big ones but either they got the money matched by their teams (Worthy, Flowers), we didn’t want to put all the eggs in one basket (Addison) or the player didn’t match our budget.

And I like that we don’t just get players to get players like Mandy.

It’s a waiting game.
Pause

His main thing is he can find a qb.

He puts together a good recruiting staff around that to.

We couldnt miss with Mario or Lane honestly. I like playing Heel...so i was all in on Lane. Then the Columbus boys and NIL happen and now we are HEELS again anyway..so im all in. I relish in Miami being the most hated unlike our admin.
Agreed with errythang in this post, bruh!

Advertisement

I think a lot of the WR recruits are likely wait and see as to what Miami's offense will look like. It's not really a run/pass ratio issue, it's how the passing game is designed and who's getting the targets. If the offense is going to prioritize the middle of the field at the expense of the outside guys, that's going to affect which players will be interested in playing in that system. If we're going to use a ton of heavy personnel in the redzone, it's going to affect guys who want to catch touchdowns. The system will be balanced so I don't think anyone has delusions of catching 100 passes in this offense but if I'm WR2 and I'm fourth on the team in number of targets, I'm going to question if the offense is suitable to showcase my talents. Just like I wouldn't want to be a running back under Mike Leach where I only get 5 carries a game.

Are we going to see a pick up in HS recruiting within the next month or so? I understand top guys usually wait and NIL can prolong this further but I see plenty of four stars committed elsewhere.

June is a big month. Next big commits will be then. I believe July is a dead period and August is fall camp it's not a big recruiting month for coaches as they gear up for the season.

tamela mann the manns GIF by TV One

Advertisement
Advertisement
It’s a pro wrestling term for being a “bad guy”.

On this board, playing heel means you don’t automatically believe that everything the new staff does is perfect. I think cautious optimism is a perfectly acceptable mindset.

OT, but no wonder I didn't get it. I hate pro wrestling, always have, even as a kid. Love The Rock though, and there were some great personalities over the years.

Advertisement
June is a big month. Next big commits will be then. I believe July is a dead period and August is fall camp it's not a big recruiting month for coaches as they gear up for the season.
I take your word for it. I'm all in on the CMC train. I know what he is capable of on the recruiting trail. We all witnessed how Mario almost singlehandedly took the 2022 recruiting class that was ranked in the 60's and transformed it into a class ranked 15th in the nation with just under 2 months in which to do it. He did that without most of his staff and no coordinators while practically living out of a suitcase.

I bring all of that up to purposely underscore just how prolific Coach Cristobal is when it comes to recruiting and I did that in order to emphasize just how strange it feels for us to be here almost into June with a paltry 5 commits and outside of Robbie Washington there is nobody on that list that even comes close to being considered "Big Game".

So what's going on here exactly? Has Mario and staff forgotten how to recruit? The situation doesn't make sense on the surface. Somewhat similar to what we experienced during both OC and DC searches, the fan base sees nothing happening on the surface so fans begin to get nervous, restless and a bit impatient. The thing is that behind the scenes and beneath the surface, Mario never ever stops working and don't forget that he is one of the very best to ever do it and the fact that he has an elite coaching staff as well as an elite recruiting department and support staff with him every step of the way. Also keep in mind that this is a first class organization now as opposed to the Junior High type outfit Diaz was running and leaks will be kept at a minimum as Mario likes to keep things in house until it's time to be announced.

What I'm trying to say here is that the only possible thing that would make any sense given the situation, what is at stake, as well as the individuals involved is that Mario and staff are sitting on numerous silent commits with a few nationally elite big time studs being among them. The fact that June has been mentioned as a big month in terms of getting public commitments makes sense as it is getting close to the season before the July dead period and fall camp in August. Prepare to get some great recruiting news during June. The momentum we get from this will take us into fall camp where the competition will be especially intense considering the caliber of players who will be returning from injury plus late enrollees and portal additions. The squad we see to begin the season should look markedly different from the one we saw in the spring game. The fun begins in June.

I think a lot of the WR recruits are likely wait and see as to what Miami's offense will look like. It's not really a run/pass ratio issue, it's how the passing game is designed and who's getting the targets. If the offense is going to prioritize the middle of the field at the expense of the outside guys, that's going to affect which players will be interested in playing in that system. If we're going to use a ton of heavy personnel in the redzone, it's going to affect guys who want to catch touchdowns. The system will be balanced so I don't think anyone has delusions of catching 100 passes in this offense but if I'm WR2 and I'm fourth on the team in number of targets, I'm going to question if the offense is suitable to showcase my talents. Just like I wouldn't want to be a running back under Mike Leach where I only get 5 carries a game.
I’ve explained the bolded part probably 100 times already & it just completely flies over people’s head lol.

Advertisement
Back