'23 Defensive pressure off the Edge and more

1. Kelly, Mesidor, Harvey, Bain will all produce
2. Deen is a better pass rusher than prior DTs.
3. LBs will be a ton faster and better allowing for more options to blitz or cover.
4. Safety play should continue to improve allowing for longer developing plays
5. CB play is the big question mark which could keep this D from reaching its full potential.

Advertisement
Yeah obviously there will be a rotation. I’m just thinking if you sat down Guidry and his staff right now and said, all things equal, everyone is healthy and fresh, and it’s late in the 4th quarter vs A&M and they have a 3rd and 8, who is on your front? I think it’s probably those 4.
Think you nailed it. Maybe Harvey…
I’m also not counting out Cyrus Moss this year. Maybe he doesn’t have the build to play for larger stints yet, but his speed and bend around the edge is hard to teach. When those tackles start cheating outside to deal with him, that’s when Guidry sends a blitz right up the gap. A lot you can toy around with when you have certified speed coming off the edges.

Advertisement
I think our 3 DTs will all bring pressure and I am hoping Kelly and Bain are able to bring that pressure from the edge.

I'm not sure if its a hot take, but I think Branson Deen can be an upgrade over Darrell Jackson. Taylor, Deen, and Gore (listen, I know people that saw him in the spring think he's a DUD, but I'll let it play out) ON PAPER are 3 of the best interior pass rushers in the nation according to PFF. Taylor rated only behind Calijah Kancey in a few metrics. Deen had 34 interior pressures, 6th in the Power 5 on the interior. Thomas Gore with a Top 6 grade as an interior rusher over the course of the past few seasons. That interior pass rush should be better...by a significant bit...and hopefully that opens up for more action from the outside.

We desperately need NKelly and CMoss to be who they we’re supposed to be as top 100 players in the country. Not sure why it takes 4 years for the majority of our guys to develop. We need certain guys to hit instantly. (Within 2 years)

I'm happy to read you're optimistic about the '23 pass rush. I have to push back on this bolded statement (above). How we get to the QB matters. You know football well enough to know that, I think. If we got to the QB via massive blitzing (we didn't, I acknowledge), it'd matter if we got shredded behind it. If we got there mostly through twists/looping and, like Diaz days, abandoning all gap integrity, it'd matter.

In our case, we didn't seem to generate a lot of pressure off the Edge. Really, we just didn't have that kind of player. And, the pressure we generated from inside was inconsistent. I'd say it was a factor (among multiple) in our atrocious 3rd down conversion %, which you agreed we need to improve. Overall, I'm hoping someone like Kelly steps up and, sure, maybe Bain is the terror we all hope as a true Frosh. I also am hopeful Guidry helps us with better blitz packages and disguises. We shall see.

I'm actually optimistic about how Francisco Mauigoa and WesleyB, together, will help our pass coverage defense. At times, it was awful last season. Francisco showed he can get better depth and has a better feel for zone than almost anyone we pushed out there last season. Wesley closed on players in the flat as well as anyone had done here in years.
Very good point on how improved LB play will help. Also I haven’t been following Cyrus’s progress but it wouldn’t surprise me to see Lance bring him in with certain packages to create pressure.

Advertisement
Asking us to go back and re-live 2022 is a tough ask and I appreciate you making it more about 2023

I remember 2022 like you do. We did get a lot of sacks but there didn’t feel like there was a lot of danger for opposing QBs at the same time

Mesidor did a lot of hard work for his sacks. Our secondary took a beating at times but I remember a lot of coverage sacks, long developing sacks etc

We didn’t have much for that off the edge pressure that creates turnovers and huge plays

But still, we did get a lot of sacks and that bodes well coming in to this year. We have some younger edge players that might be good for a few pressures a game and I’m obviously curious to see more about the way Guidry uses the front 7

We infused a lot of speed on defense especially with the young guys
Tough ask?? It’s been outlawed by the Geneva Convention

I’m also not counting out Cyrus Moss this year. Maybe he doesn’t have the build to play for larger stints yet, but his speed and bend around the edge is hard to teach. When those tackles start cheating outside to deal with him, that’s when Guidry sends a blitz right up the gap. A lot you can toy around with when you have certified speed coming off the edges.
Perfect for the jack olb position guidry talked about, kids metabolism is failing him lol

Advertisement
We desperately need NKelly and CMoss to be who they we’re supposed to be as top 100 players in the country. Not sure why it takes 4 years for the majority of our guys to develop. We need certain guys to hit instantly. (Within 2 years)
Well moss looked like a receiver coming out of high school, so I’d imagine he has to add weight

I'm happy to read you're optimistic about the '23 pass rush. I have to push back on this bolded statement (above). How we get to the QB matters. You know football well enough to know that, I think. If we got to the QB via massive blitzing (we didn't, I acknowledge), it'd matter if we got shredded behind it. If we got there mostly through twists/looping and, like Diaz days, abandoning all gap integrity, it'd matter.

In our case, we didn't seem to generate a lot of pressure off the Edge. Really, we just didn't have that kind of player. And, the pressure we generated from inside was inconsistent. I'd say it was a factor (among multiple) in our atrocious 3rd down conversion %, which you agreed we need to improve. Overall, I'm hoping someone like Kelly steps up and, sure, maybe Bain is the terror we all hope as a true Frosh. I also am hopeful Guidry helps us with better blitz packages and disguises. We shall see.
Well of course it matters how you bet to the QB. But I was generalizing it. Still, even if blitzing every time, it takes a special QB and special WRs to be able to beat the blitz consistently. We had multiple D ends with close to 5 sacks. I would say that we generated more than enough pressure off the edge. Again, even if we are forcing the QB to step up into the pocket and get sacked in the middle, the work is still being done. There’s 4 rushers and if the outside guys are not getting sacks but the QB is still getting hit/ sacked inside the pocket, job well done. If you did your job and another person made the play because you forced him inside that’s good work.

Advertisement
I'm predicting 9+ from him.
The last Hurricane to have over 9 or more sacks was Rousseau in 2019. Prior to GR you have to go all the way back to 2006 with Calais Campbell and Kareem Brown. Phillips might've gotten to 9 if the GT game didn't fall through in 2020, but he had 8.

The last Hurricane to have over 9 or more sacks was Rousseau in 2019. Prior to GR you have to go all the way back to 2006 with Calais Campbell and Kareem Brown. Phillips might've gotten to 9 if the GT game didn't fall through in 2020, but he had 8.
Joe was .5 away from 9 in 2018 he had 8.5

Phillips also had 8 sacks in only 10 games.

1. Kelly, Mesidor, Harvey, Bain will all produce
2. Deen is a better pass rusher than prior DTs.
3. LBs will be a ton faster and better allowing for more options to blitz or cover.
4. Safety play should continue to improve allowing for longer developing plays
5. CB play is the big question mark which could keep this D from reaching its full potential.

When they were interviewing the DL (Harvey, Deen, Messidor and LT), one of them mentioned that last years scheme was a lot of gap contain, whereas Guidry is all about pressure and disguising the pass rush. I think we're going to be pleasantly surprised at the number of sacks, TFLs and pressures we get with this crew. It's very solid.

Advertisement
Back