'23 Defensive pressure off the Edge and more

I think Kelly is that guy. Bain too. If they don't get outside sacks, it's because the opponent brought their RB forward to help out, which presumably frees up someone else (i.e. a delayed blitzer) to get a lick in.

As @90scane notes, the LB play will be substantially improved. That's the secret sauce here. You got Wes and JW coming downhill wherever one of our DL are being doubled. I'm really optimistic with Guidry.
I like guidry too. I have to see njalik and bain consistently win 1on1s before i say a team has to bring extra help for them. Njalik hasn’t shown that yet and bain hasn’t played a snap, i think they have that potential but if we have to rely on a sophomore and true freshman to he game changers then we aren’t in a good spot there imo

Advertisement
U can disagree as much as u want, i saw DJ Ivey play here for many years and Tyrique for 2. They never displayed any consistently ability to defend outside of the field and deep balls. I prefer the guys we have now. Those two that left were gonna test well but they were not good fundamental players. And like i said its ok to disagree. We will see after the season and we can compare our statements.
I understand what you are saying. I think that with Tyrique it became very clear to me that he wasn't being used in a way that would maximize his ability. Stevenson was best suited to play Nickel, Star or the Striker position in Diaz's defense in addition to Safety. He has CB skills but lacked the long speed. Tyrique could have been a great compliment to Kam at Safety or like I said in a Nickel type role.

I think we will have better CBs who can defend the outside. Tyrique and Ivey got drafted of physique 🐾🐾🐾 but they never used it to their advantage. Also another aspect that should improve is pur pressure from the secondary and LB position. I expect Cyrus and Malik to also find roles in pressure packages.

How quickly the players pick things up is up for grabs. Should be much better next year as well.
What corner is better than Rique?

Manny had guardrails. It was a very soft zone. That why when the QB would beat the pressure there where usually guys wide wide open.

Guidry tends to play his CBs on an island as he plays a good amount of man to man. He will mix in different coverages though. Guidry has a very different type of style and scheme than Manny and I'm looking forward to getting to see his defense up close. It's one thing to see a coach and his style when he coaches another team. It's quite another when he is coaching the team you love and follow so closely. This applies to Dawson as well. Once they start coaching at UM then I tend to put them under a microscope. We all do.

I would appreciate it if someone would put Guidry's system in a nutshell for us that haven't really watched him closely before now.
Guys being wide open because a zone was completely vacated isn’t what I consider “guardrails”. So many of Manny’s blitzes relied on the quarterback completely missing a totally vacated zone with no defender anywhere near it. If you’re going to run fire zones, you need to play coverage behind it that doesn’t leave gaping holes. Any time you bring extra pressure, there’s going to be less help in coverage so the goal is to try to fortify the areas where QBs can make quicker and easier reads and sacrificing help in areas that either take a long time for routes to reach and/or are tough throws to make. You often see coaches sacrifice help on the field side deep or outside the hashes because most quarterbacks struggle making that throw with no pressure. Under duress, they’re not even looking at that option.

The combination of spread offenses and mobile quarterbacks means defensive coordinators have to run zone a majority of the time these days. Cover one or cover zero is basically reserved for passing situations. You can’t play man on the outside with two high safeties anymore because every team is throwing three or more receivers at you every down and it leaves the middle of the field open for easy pickings.

Advertisement
Just clarifying this now before fans lose their 💩 when they see it...

Guidry runs Odd Front packages where Nyjalik Kelly will be dropping into coverage.
Even fronts with nothing but man coverage are this board’s defensive version of “fullback in the flats, bro”. I understand that 25 years ago we could get away with that but not only has the game completely changed, we also don’t have a huge talent advantage over every opponent that we can afford to be completely vanilla on defense and still get stops.

1691520591830.png

Advertisement
Hey Coach Macho, he says he runs a 4-2-5 but every time I hear him he talks about odd fronts, 3-4, and he talked about a bear front the other day. Is he multiple and just uses 4-2-5 as a base? I know I'm old and I hadn't coached defense in forever but I knew 4-2-5 as a 1 and a 3 or two 3s. I know you gotta have a lot of tools to combat different offenses. What's your thoughts? I'll hang up and listen
Yep.
I think most of us today (defensive coaches) base out of some version of 4-2-5 personnel...with that 5th DB being some sort of Nickel/hybrid type guy.

Yep.
I think most of us today (defensive coaches) base out of some version of 4-2-5 personnel...with that 5th DB being some sort of Nickel/hybrid type guy.
I’ve coached in 4-3, 4-3 which went 4-2-5 with a nickel/star on 3rd down, 3-4, 3-3-5 stack, 3-3-5 which was really a 3-5-3, 4-3 which went to a 4-2-5 against a spread and went to a 3-3-5 with bear fronts and 5-2 against option. I said F this I’m coaching offense!

Yep.
Lol watch Saban just run it 40 times a game against teams set up to defend the spread and win the natty. Lmfao

Advertisement
Back