'23 Defensive pressure off the Edge and more

Advertisement
Joe was .5 away from 9 in 2018 he had 8.5
Number-Line-for-Kids-1.png

Does 8.5 = 9?

When they were interviewing the DL (Harvey, Deen, Messidor and LT), one of them mentioned that last years scheme was a lot of gap contain, whereas Guidry is all about pressure and disguising the pass rush. I think we're going to be pleasantly surprised at the number of sacks, TFLs and pressures we get with this crew. It's very solid.
I consider his defense to be the more thought out version of Manny Diaz's defense. Where pressure is prioritized but guardrails are in place incase the pressure doesn't get home.

Gotta imagine the Nascar package on passing downs will comprise mostly of:

Mesidor
Kelly
Dean
Combo of LT/Bain/Harvey

It will be interesting to see how they use Moss. My guess is that they will use him sparingly and bring him in the 2nd half on an occasional 3rd and long.

Guidry LOVES Bain and I won't surprise to see him play a LOT.

He also had 5 of them against 2 teams, so the odds were .5 sacks vs GT, and another .5 vs Ok State? Might've gotten to 9 in 12 games
I'm just saying. He didn't have the luxury of playing an entire season. Nor did he get an FCS opponent to beat up on either.

Advertisement
When they were interviewing the DL (Harvey, Deen, Messidor and LT), one of them mentioned that last years scheme was a lot of gap contain, whereas Guidry is all about pressure and disguising the pass rush. I think we're going to be pleasantly surprised at the number of sacks, TFLs and pressures we get with this crew. It's very solid.
Steele had no choice because he had to use the DL to contain the run due to the weak LB play. We should inch closer to a Miami level of LB play this year with at least 4 kids on the roster that are likely NFL material.

To me, it is the overall roster improvements that make the biggest difference. All 22 (2 deep) are better than last year's 22, not to mention the kids behind those 22 being a ton better than those on the roster last year. We shouldn't see a massive drop-off when someone gets hurt like we did last year, outside of DT and FS.

Advertisement
The number I'm looking for is 8 from the Edge.

While Edge-specific pressure is not absolutely necessary and the result can be accomplished in multiple ways, I'm also relatively optimistic about what Taylor, Mesidor, and even Deen can do (upfield) from the inside. I'm also optimistic on what we can create from blitz schemes, twists/loops, and hustle plays (Harvey got some of his stats from coverage/broken plays and second efforts).

What I hope we see is a player like Kelly or Bain have someone out there on an island and just whip them. That kind of dynamic tends to place disproportionate pressure on an offense. They have to account for it, potentially chip, roll away from it, etc.

We desperately need NKelly and CMoss to be who they we’re supposed to be as top 100 players in the country. Not sure why it takes 4 years for the majority of our guys to develop. We need certain guys to hit instantly. (Within 2 years)
It would be nice to see elite talent develop quickly instead of watching player regression as the years pass by. However, I think Cyrus has to eat a Cyrus to see the field this year. He's WR thin. I know Harvey hasn't provided much yet but I think he has a next level he can get to. Game 1, I'm looking at back 7 tackling and cb speed. We have sucked in the back 7 for years.

Gotta imagine the Nascar package on passing downs will comprise mostly of:

Mesidor
Kelly
Dean
Combo of LT/Bain/Harvey

It will be interesting to see how they use Moss. My guess is that they will use him sparingly and bring him in the 2nd half on an occasional 3rd and long.

Guidry LOVES Bain and I won't surprise to see him play a LOT.
I'd like to see Cyrus coming off the corner or up the middle on punt and FG attempts. A 10K calorie daily meal plan should get him on the field in 2024.

The number I'm looking for is 8 from the Edge.

While Edge-specific pressure is not absolutely necessary and the result can be accomplished in multiple ways, I'm also relatively optimistic about what Taylor, Mesidor, and even Deen can do (upfield) from the inside. I'm also optimistic on what we can create from blitz schemes, twists/loops, and hustle plays (Harvey got some of his stats from coverage/broken plays and second efforts).

What I hope we see is a player like Kelly or Bain have someone out there on an island and just whip them. That kind of dynamic tends to place disproportionate pressure on an offense. They have to account for it, potentially chip, roll away from it, etc.
Yep i agree, I honestly don’t think we have that guy right now. I think njalik has the potential to be that guy but we have to see it.

Im super high on bain but i think the expectations for him is too high right now. The hardest transition from high school to college is in the trenches. Its unfair to expect him to be the guy we rely on to be our best edge rusher, plus i really think he’s gonna be better on the inside

Advertisement
Yep i agree, I honestly don’t think we have that guy right now. I think njalik has the potential to be that guy but we have to see it.

Im super high on bain but i think the expectations for him is too high right now. The hardest transition from high school to college is in the trenches. Its unfair to expect him to be the guy we rely on to be our best edge rusher, plus i really think he’s gonna be better on the inside

I think Kelly is that guy. Bain too. If they don't get outside sacks, it's because the opponent brought their RB forward to help out, which presumably frees up someone else (i.e. a delayed blitzer) to get a lick in.

As @90scane notes, the LB play will be substantially improved. That's the secret sauce here. You got Wes and JW coming downhill wherever one of our DL are being doubled. I'm really optimistic with Guidry.

I'm just saying. He didn't have the luxury of playing an entire season. Nor did he get an FCS opponent to beat up on either.
He also got tossed first half against FSU. He might have got one against them.

Advertisement
I think we will have better CBs who can defend the outside. Tyrique and Ivey got drafted of physique 🐾🐾🐾 but they never used it to their advantage. Also another aspect that should improve is pur pressure from the secondary and LB position. I expect Cyrus and Malik to also find roles in pressure packages.

How quickly the players pick things up is up for grabs. Should be much better next year as well.

I think we will have better CBs who can defend the outside. Tyrique and Ivey got drafted of physique 🐾🐾🐾 but they never used it to their advantage. Also another aspect that should improve is pur pressure from the secondary and LB position. I expect Cyrus and Malik to also find roles in pressure packages.

Going to disagree.

TS and Ivey are good CBs or they wouldn’t get drafted. Ivey was asked to play thirds without having the top end speed. Safety play was also an issue last year which made CB look worse as they were left on an island when they should of had deep help.

This year, I expect Kam to play much better with his deep help. Our CB play may appear better but that will be the result of better DL, LB, and S play.

Going to disagree.

TS and Ivey are good CBs or they wouldn’t get drafted. Ivey was asked to play thirds without having the top end speed. Safety play was also an issue last year which made CB look worse as they were left on an island when they should of had deep help.

This year, I expect Kam to play much better with his deep help. Our CB play may appear better but that will be the result of better DL, LB, and S play.
U can disagree as much as u want, i saw DJ Ivey play here for many years and Tyrique for 2. They never displayed any consistently ability to defend outside of the field and deep balls. I prefer the guys we have now. Those two that left were gonna test well but they were not good fundamental players. And like i said its ok to disagree. We will see after the season and we can compare our statements.

Our CB play may appear better but that will be the result of better DL, LB, and S play.
I wholeheartedly agree with this. And, I'd add Guidry's stated willingness to try different approaches.

I am curious to see how JRichard's role plays out. If he and Davonte Brown end up as our corners, that's a ton of wingspan out there.

Advertisement
Back