2024 Transfer Portal

Advertisement
"Barring secrets" - how could someone still say this after we landed a potential pro player no one had heard of 3 days ago lol

Of course there are "secrets"!
Don’t disagree. Usually with Portal targets though there are less surprises

Well sure. Sign me up for a 6' 4" PG who can defend lol

I think there are approximately 0 of those in the portal.
Zero Wongs and zero Millers either. I guess the point is get the 2 or 3 best guards on the floor you can get regardless of point or 2 guard. And that’s was just an option like another poster said if we start getting down to best players available. I get it that you don’t like it. Jesus

Zero Wongs and zero Millers either. I guess the point is get the 2 or 3 best guards on the floor you can get regardless of point or 2 guard. And that’s was just an option like another poster said if we start getting down to best players available. I get it that you don’t like it. Jesus

Fine, fine.

I'm more reacting to all of the negativity and concern about the portal. We're coming off an awesome 2 year run and have a really good core group coming back, yet fans seem on edge bc we haven't landed a big fish in the portal.

We didn't land any big fish 2 years ago, didn't have a deep team, and made the elite 8. We're in great shape.

I wonder if we're interested in Anthony Dell'Orso out of Campbell?

Attachments

• screencapture-espn-mens-college-basketball-player-id-5108141-anthony-dellorso-2023-04-22-16_00...jpg
    screencapture-espn-mens-college-basketball-player-id-5108141-anthony-dellorso-2023-04-22-16_00...jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 19
Advertisement
...Every kid now thinks they can get a Nijel Pack deal here and when they don't, they get in their feelings.
Understandable. If you are really good (and think you are better than Pack) you are not likely to want to come here for $150,000 in these wild west days and play alongside him. Memories of Wong's ploy last year aside; I would bet if we offered Wong 400,00 for one more year here, he would have stayed, but we'll never know. (This assumes that sort of NIL-money is in the wallet now.)

What makes him a good fit? He's a terrible shooter so he doesn't space the floor. He's just OK off the dribble. He's just an OK rebounder.
Similar size. I believe he also averaged over 7RPG per game last season, which was better than Miller actually. Shot over 35% from three. His athletic ability could cause mismatches for slower footed 4's that prefer to stay in the paint. Miller exploited this a lot last year as well.

Last edited:
Similar size. I believe he also averaged over 7RPG per game last season, which was better than Miller actually. Shot over 35% from three. His athletic ability could cause mismatches for slower footed 4's that prefer to stay in the paint. Miller exploited this a lot last year as well.

Fair points, but I don't think he's actually a good 3 pt shooter. He only made 21 so it wasn't like he took a ton, and he shot 69% from the line this year and 55% the year before. He is at 29% from 3 for his career. I think his 35% last year might just be a sample size fluke, given these other metrics.

His Evan Miya numbers are not good. He never took over games. FSU the last two years was terrible, to the point it looked like they quit, and he was one of their "leaders". Despite his great length and size, he shot poorly from 2, which points to a lack of touch or toughness.

Idk, I just don't see it with this kid. I wouldn't be upset if we take him, but I don't think he's in the same class as Miller.

Fine, fine.

I'm more reacting to all of the negativity and concern about the portal. We're coming off an awesome 2 year run and have a really good core group coming back, yet fans seem on edge bc we haven't landed a big fish in the portal.

We didn't land any big fish 2 years ago, didn't have a deep team, and made the elite 8. We're in great shape.
I agree with a lot of what you said. I love coach L he does more with less no doubt.

Coming off a final 4 run I think most of us guys are expecting a big fish or two.

I think we’re in great shape if we add a big fish or two and our young guys step up. Hopefully coach L will work his magic.

Advertisement
Fair points, but I don't think he's actually a good 3 pt shooter. He only made 21 so it wasn't like he took a ton, and he shot 69% from the line this year and 55% the year before. He is at 29% from 3 for his career. I think his 35% last year might just be a sample size fluke, given these other metrics.

His Evan Miya numbers are not good. He never took over games. FSU the last two years was terrible, to the point it looked like they quit, and he was one of their "leaders". Despite his great length and size, he shot poorly from 2, which points to a lack of touch or toughness.

Idk, I just don't see it with this kid. I wouldn't be upset if we take him, but I don't think he's in the same class as Miller.
This is very much a concern for me as well. The FT percentage. Still, he's only a sophomore and I believe L could continue to develop him. And he most certainly is not in the class of Miller. I agree with you 100 percent there. But Miller is 23, this kid is what? 20? He is still has a lot of room to grow.

I agree with a lot of what you said. I love coach L he does more with less no doubt.

Coming off a final 4 run I think most of us guys are expecting a big fish or two.

I think we’re in great shape if we add a big fish or two and our young guys step up. Hopefully coach L will work his magic.
I think a big cog on the wheel is Casey. I saw very little last year suggesting this dude is nearly ready for prime time, but I know others are really high (and hopeful) on him. If he comes into his own, somehow, I would think some net-cutting dance might be there again.

Fine, fine.

We don't need big fish. We need the right fish. Nobody expected Charlie or Jordan to have the impact they made. Even Norchad was way undervalued.

Advertisement

I think everyone is too focused on Cleveland, Beran, or whoever it is being a replacement for Miller. Each team each season is unique. It’s very likely we won’t get the same production from the 4 spot again this season. Miller was a very well rounded player. There were no big holes in his game, and that’s rare. He could score well inside. He was a solid shooter, had a deceptively great and effective handle. Not a thumper on D but he was crafty there and on the glass. He was one of the best 4 men in the country without being a true 4.

Cleveland has potential. L is elite at player development. Most guys (save for walker) have shown drastic improvement under him. It takes some longer than others, but we consistently see it.

The other difference with Cleveland at Miami vs. Cleveland at FSU is he wouldn’t be counted on to be “the guy” here. Pack, Wooga, and Omier are the top scoring options. Cleveland could be pretty darn effective as our 4th or even 5th offensive option. I’d absolutely love to have him here.

Advertisement
Down to Miami, Missouri, and Auburn for him. Mizzo seems to be the favorite at the moment...well see. He isn't Jordan Miller but I think he'd be a good supporting player to what we already have
Why would he go to Missouri over us? I thought the portal would be easy pickings for us this season considering our location, nil and back to back elite 8 appearances. We were legitimately the second best team in the country last season.

Why would he go to Missouri over us? I thought the portal would be easy pickings for us this season considering our location, nil and back to back elite 8 appearances. We were legitimately the second best team in the country last season.
NIL is a blessing and a curse. With the media and Ruiz talking so much about our NIL deals, now every kid with some game thinks they can get a $500,000 per year deal and when they don't get anything close to that, they swear off Miami. Second, other teams saw what Miami did this season due their perceived NIL advantage, and so the Alabama's, Auburn's, etc. are stepping their bag game up to try and play with the blue bloods. More competition for premium talent than last year.

I think everyone is too focused on Cleveland, Beran, or whoever it is being a replacement for Miller. Each team each season is unique. It’s very likely we won’t get the same production from the 4 spot again this season. Miller was a very well rounded player. There were no big holes in his game, and that’s rare. He could score well inside. He was a solid shooter, had a deceptively great and effective handle. Not a thumper on D but he was crafty there and on the glass. He was one of the best 4 men in the country without being a true 4.

Cleveland has potential. L is elite at player development. Most guys (save for walker) have shown drastic improvement under him. It takes some longer than others, but we consistently see it.

The other difference with Cleveland at Miami vs. Cleveland at FSU is he wouldn’t be counted on to be “the guy” here. Pack, Wooga, and Omier are the top scoring options. Cleveland could be pretty darn effective as our 4th or even 5th offensive option. I’d absolutely love to have him here.

Well said. I guess even if he's not Miller at the 4, he could still make a strong impact in other ways.

I'm still wary of him for the reasons I mentioned - and maybe the upside U thing bothers me more than I realize lol - but L develops everybody. Well, except Walker ha, as you noted.

As for auburn I think they already got another dude for the starting spot he wanted
So it sounds like mizzou and miami. Someone mentioned mizzou had an asst coach that used to be at fsu...but when comparing the two schools i dno why u wouldn't want to play at Miami after coming off back to back deep tourney runs...

Advertisement
Back