2024 Transfer Portal

Why would he go to Missouri over us? I thought the portal would be easy pickings for us this season considering our location, nil and back to back elite 8 appearances. We were legitimately the second best team in the country last season.
Totally agree. U would think it would be even easier to recruit portal players in after these two seasons. Not to mention Coach L has had tons of prior success with transfers...Sheldon McClellan, Angel Rodriguez, Kam McGusty, Charlie Moore, Jordan Miller, and now current players Pack, Omier...and there are two starting slots up for grabs

Advertisement
So it sounds like mizzou and miami. Someone mentioned mizzou had an asst coach that used to be at fsu...but when comparing the two schools i dno why u wouldn't want to play at Miami after coming off back to back deep tourney runs...
Coach CY left FSU and is at Mizzou . He is a big time recruiter and mentor. Kids love him and he is a huge reason FSU was able to pull so many stud the last 5-10 years. Relationships all day. Hopefully we can pull Cleveland but it will be tough sledding.

Fair points, but I don't think he's actually a good 3 pt shooter. He only made 21 so it wasn't like he took a ton, and he shot 69% from the line this year and 55% the year before. He is at 29% from 3 for his career. I think his 35% last year might just be a sample size fluke, given these other metrics.

His Evan Miya numbers are not good. He never took over games. FSU the last two years was terrible, to the point it looked like they quit, and he was one of their "leaders". Despite his great length and size, he shot poorly from 2, which points to a lack of touch or toughness.

Idk, I just don't see it with this kid. I wouldn't be upset if we take him, but I don't think he's in the same class as Miller.
We didn't really think the George Mason Miller was gonna turn out to be the one we got either. Exceeded all expectations, and then some. I wouldn't put too much stock in how any FSU players performed last year. That team was in total disarray.

Why would he go to Missouri over us? I thought the portal would be easy pickings for us this season considering our location, nil and back to back elite 8 appearances. We were legitimately the second best team in the country last season.
Maybe the NIL $$ war chest has decreased? I mean, if LW is on life support as a business? Could be part of it. Last year at this point in time, we were one of the early/only real NIL players, and benefited from that.

Maybe the NIL $$ war chest has decreased? I mean, if LW is on life support as a business? Could be part of it. Last year at this point in time, we were one of the early/only real NIL players, and benefited from that.
We keep focusing on LW. We have other wealthy benefactors. BTW, Pack got his NIL because he was an all-conference performer in one of the best 2 or 3 conferences in the country.

I trust this staff to bring in the right fit for what they want and need.

Advertisement
We keep focusing on LW. We have other wealthy benefactors. BTW, Pack got his NIL because he was an all-conference performer in one of the best 2 or 3 conferences in the country.

I trust this staff to bring in the right fit for what they want and need.
We do but ... are they putting big bucks up for NIL like Ruiz did/does? Gotta be done by a Collective approach and apparently we're just starting with trying to get that really off the ground. I also trust the staff.

BTW, UConn won the NC with virtually NO NIL support.

Last edited:
Coach CY left FSU and is at Mizzou . He is a big time recruiter and mentor. Kids love him and he is a huge reason FSU was able to pull so many stud the last 5-10 years. Relationships all day. Hopefully we can pull Cleveland but it will be tough sledding.

Yep, well said. It's no coincidence that FSU struggled after he left.

Advertisement
I’m guessing because they got Kyshawn George to fill that role as the 2nd Guard.

What we’re looking for now is someone to fill the 4 spot & possibly a couple more depth pieces to replace Bev & Walker.
I'm surprised we are not more aggressive in acquiring a two guard to replace Wong myself. Raequan Battle is an excellent player.

Advertisement
I'm surprised we are not more aggressive in acquiring a two guard to replace Wong myself. Raequan Battle is an excellent player.
I think they tried with Quincy Olivari & El Ellis, but once they got Kyshawn George that met what they were looking for.

Plus, maybe they believe Jakai finally will show what he’s got & maybe they think Watson will be more improved. Idk exactly, but I think they primarily have been looking for 4’s both a starter & a depth piece.

I still think we’ll land some good quality players in the next few weeks or so. We got Pack around this same time last year & Omier on the 4/26 last year, so I’m guessing we land a couple in the coming weeks.

There’s still over 2,300 players in the Portal right now even after all the commits that have taken place. We have all Summer to find the right guys.

Advertisement
I think they tried with Quincy Olivari & El Ellis, but once they got Kyshawn George that met what they were looking for.

Plus, maybe they believe Jakai finally will show what he’s got & maybe they think Watson will be more improved. Idk exactly, but I think they primarily have been looking for 4’s both a starter & a depth piece.

I still think we’ll land some good quality players in the next few weeks or so. We got Pack around this same time last year & Omier on the 4/26 last year, so I’m guessing we land a couple in the coming weeks.

There’s still over 2,300 players in the Portal right now even after all the commits that have taken place. We have all Summer to find the right guys.
Could work to our advantage slow playing. White and Collins both just announced in past few days. That is 2 big time HS recruits.

It doesn't help as much as one might think that there are 2000+ players still in portal when Beverly is/was ranked 150-ish. Are we really looking for someone considered inferior to Bev? We may well have donors/supporters with big(ger) wallets besides Ruiz, but when ESPN embarrassed Miami into giving sports $ome attention, it seems they were funding the Mario's and staff and buyouts and other stuff, while Ruiz was the NIL-pay-for-play (as you can get away with) go-to-guy. That was fine when he was thriving and that was a plu$. Now you have a prospect in portal and he or agent has to contact someone abt Miami-play and pay. Even with the new-ish reinvigorated UM collectives, their NIL-front-man seems to be Ruiz still. You can't call Rad and say hey will you give my boy Cleveland $250,000 or more? (rules.) You can't call Carol Soffer either; they will tell you see Ruiz. (Who probably has the contractual and incentive for performance stuff down pat, but no funds to back it like before.) Now whether Ruiz says "hey Carol, Wong wants $250,000 to stay - will you take care of it?" or not, is a good question. I'm not convinced they (or many people) want to chow down with Ruiz right now. Sure we can bash the reporters and third parties (or posters) that suggest our portal - roster management -NIL is dysfunctional and needs improvement, but they may be on to something. Carol, where are you?

It doesn't help as much as one might think that there are 2000+ players still in portal when Beverly is/was ranked 150-ish. Are we really looking for someone considered inferior to Bev? We may well have donors/supporters with big(ger) wallets besides Ruiz, but when ESPN embarrassed Miami into giving sports $ome attention, it seems they were funding the Mario's and staff and buyouts and other stuff, while Ruiz was the NIL-pay-for-play (as you can get away with) go-to-guy. That was fine when he was thriving and that was a plu$. Now you have a prospect in portal and he or agent has to contact someone abt Miami-play and pay. Even with the new-ish reinvigorated UM collectives, their NIL-front-man seems to be Ruiz still. You can't call Rad and say hey will you give my boy Cleveland $250,000 or more? (rules.) You can't call Carol Soffer either; they will tell you see Ruiz. (Who probably has the contractual and incentive for performance stuff down pat, but no funds to back it like before.) Now whether Ruiz says "hey Carol, Wong wants $250,000 to stay - will you take care of it?" or not, is a good question. I'm not convinced they (or many people) want to chow down with Ruiz right now. Sure we can bash the reporters and third parties (or posters) that suggest our portal - roster management -NIL is dysfunctional and needs improvement, but they may be on to something. Carol, where are you?
For all we know, Bev could thrive at Wichita State. I think he was in a dog chasing the tail scenario here, bad habits impacting pt which resulted in more bad habits.

Portal is all about finding fits. The fact that we didn’t go after some of the “big” names doesn’t concern me that much. Much rather find the right piece(s).

Advertisement
Back