2024 Transfer Portal

Portal is all about finding fits. The fact that we didn’t go after some of the “big” names doesn’t concern me that much. Much rather find the right piece(s).
...seems we went after a dozen or more bigger names... they had Miami on their "lists" and we were reported as pursuing. The "fit" was established. I was hopeful at least one might chose Miami... still waiting.

Advertisement
...seems we went after a dozen or more bigger names... they had Miami on their "lists" and we were reported as pursuing. The "fit" was established. I was hopeful at least one might chose Miami... still waiting.
Don’t disagree. But I think George (plus Jakai) takes pressure off the backcourt. That leaves the 4 and I’m sure we’re doing all we can to land Cleveland.

I’d rather have Tre White or Daniels over Cleveland though.

Advertisement
It doesn't help as much as one might think that there are 2000+ players still in portal when Beverly is/was ranked 150-ish. Are we really looking for someone considered inferior to Bev? We may well have donors/supporters with big(ger) wallets besides Ruiz, but when ESPN embarrassed Miami into giving sports $ome attention, it seems they were funding the Mario's and staff and buyouts and other stuff, while Ruiz was the NIL-pay-for-play (as you can get away with) go-to-guy. That was fine when he was thriving and that was a plu$. Now you have a prospect in portal and he or agent has to contact someone abt Miami-play and pay. Even with the new-ish reinvigorated UM collectives, their NIL-front-man seems to be Ruiz still. You can't call Rad and say hey will you give my boy Cleveland $250,000 or more? (rules.) You can't call Carol Soffer either; they will tell you see Ruiz. (Who probably has the contractual and incentive for performance stuff down pat, but no funds to back it like before.) Now whether Ruiz says "hey Carol, Wong wants $250,000 to stay - will you take care of it?" or not, is a good question. I'm not convinced they (or many people) want to chow down with Ruiz right now. Sure we can bash the reporters and third parties (or posters) that suggest our portal - roster management -NIL is dysfunctional and needs improvement, but they may be on to something. Carol, where are you?
So what would you suggest we do?

Forfeit the season? Fold the program? What’s the main gripe about exactly?

What exactly can anybody do about Ruiz or his money?

So what would you suggest we do?

Forfeit the season? Fold the program? What’s the main gripe about exactly?

What exactly can anybody do about Ruiz or his money?
Just like the ESPN exposure... make some noise so the Carol Soffers and others realize there is a dysfunctional set-up, affecting our recruiting especially portal, and get directly active. $$$$$ Notice or noise made them come alive before. Too much seems to be going only thru Ruiz in my humble opinion. (which AINT a positve)

So far, anyone who makes noise, even Herald reporters, get bashed... never mind the issues at hand that are concerning if you do the thought and research.

Just saying there are other donor/boosters, with big wallets (who maybe made the coach and staff hiring and buyouts happen) are THERE i dont think is enough... if there is nothing effective and efficient in place to get them reactive to portal NIL demands and such. Barry and Michelle (and other) sorta implied this subtly... got pooped on for their efforts.

Buyouts and hiring a coach, sure they can give 20 million to the U and earmark it. But for NIL? the rules make the U stand sorta aside, so that is ineffective, maybe dysfunctional with Ruiz as point man. certainly problematic.

Last edited:
Just like the ESPN exposure... make some noise so the Carol Soffers and others realize there is a dysfunctional set-up, affecting our recruiting especially portal, and get directly active. $$$$$ Notice or noise made them come alive before. Too much seems to be going only thru Ruiz in my humble opinion.
I’m not sure if that would accomplish the desired goal you might think it would lol

It’s justifiable if you’re a team that has routinely missed the Tourney & has a string of losing seasons, but fans ringing the 4 alarm fire bell after having the most successful season in school history would look more insane & insufferable on our part.

Fans aren’t going to be able to convince the Billionaire boosters to spend more money no matter how much we fuss about it, especially in Basketball considering the Basketball program is in the best shape its ever been.

This seems more like a Football problem & that is an entire stack of cards all within itself, but is not the same diagnosis.

Of course it would’ve been great to land some big name players in the Portal, but it didn’t happen, that however doesn’t mean the team is in dire straits, from a roster standpoint we’re still in position to go for another long distance Tourney run. But it’s obviously still too far ahead to make an assessment for the 23-24 season.

Advertisement
I’m not sure if that would accomplish the desired goal you might think it would lol

It’s justifiable if you’re a team that has routinely missed the Tourney & has a string of losing seasons, but fans ringing the 4 alarm fire bell after having the most successful season in school history would look more insane & insufferable on our part.

Fans aren’t going to be able to convince the Billionaire boosters to spend more money no matter how much we fuss about it, especially in Basketball considering the Basketball program is in the best shape its ever been.

This seems more like a Football problem & that is an entire stack of cards all within itself, but is not the same diagnosis.

Of course it would’ve been great to land some big name players in the Portal, but it didn’t happen, that however doesn’t mean the team is in dire straits, from a roster standpoint we’re still in position to go for another long distance Tourney run. But it’s obviously still too far ahead to make an assessment for the 23-24 season.
Thank you for your thoughts. I agree all is not lost and we could smell like a rose next year. But 2019-2021 repeat outcome in basketball, if there's a significant injury or disappointment, aren't that impossible either despite current glory. I hope things work out. I do think the portal non-starters, and maybe even retaining Wong (or TVD) is an NIL-dollar flow issue. And Carol surely has it covered. But i doubt she even chats with Ruiz. And not to be nonsensical, but if Ruiz said hey Carol send me 10 million so i can do some portal NIL magic. Would you?

More seriously, if Ruiz is point man (manager, front man) for any UM NIL collective, do you think all large-sized donors aren't going to think twice about writing a hefty check?

I greatly appreciate ALL he has done. But now there are some adverse effects (some might say poison; others just say he is the Face of Miami NIL and there is mud on his face). If Herald reporters or others want to promote the idea of a new model RUN BY new masters, I for one support them.

Last edited:
Thank you for your thoughts. I agree all is not lost and we could smell like a rose next year. But 2019-2021 repeat outcome in basketball, if there's a significant injury or disappointment, aren't that impossible either despite current glory. I hope things work out. I do think the portal non-starters, and maybe even retaining Wong (or TVD) is an NIL-dollar flow issue. And Carol surely has it covered. But i doubt she even chats with Ruiz. And not to be nonsensical, but if Ruiz said hey Carol send me 10 million so i can do some portal NIL magic. Would you?
It’s possible we have a worse season than Louisville, but there’s no way of knowing that until the roster is completed & the season takes place, neither one of those things have happened yet.

Retaining Wong, was Wong’s decision; he’s made more money than he’s probably ever going to make playing Basketball at Miami than he will anywhere else, if he wanted to come back then he would. If he left because he didn’t get another NIL deal, that’s on him.

And no one actually knows how much money Ruiz has allocated to NIL or not, it’s all speculation from worrisome fans & even in the scenario of him asking Soffer for a loan, what exactly can fans do about that? Us making noise isn’t gonna make her wanna give him money, nor do we even know if he even needs any. And even in that hypothetical situation, Ruiz isn’t a 12 year old kid, I’m sure he could figure out how to get some money from some rich people if he needed it lol

It’s possible we have a worse season than Louisville, but there’s no way of knowing that until the roster is completed & the season takes place, neither one of those things have happened yet.

Retaining Wong, was Wong’s decision; he’s made more money than he’s probably ever going to make playing Basketball at Miami than he will anywhere else, if he wanted to come back then he would. If he left because he didn’t get another NIL deal, that’s on him.

And no one actually knows how much money Ruiz has allocated to NIL or not, it’s all speculation from worrisome fans & even in the scenario of him asking Soffer for a loan, what exactly can fans do about that? Us making noise isn’t gonna make her wanna give him money, nor do we even know if he even needs any. And even in that hypothetical situation, Ruiz isn’t a 12 year old kid, I’m sure he could figure out how to get some money from some rich people if he needed it lol
I get your good points. But---Really, (based upon some fan or other clamoring) letting the ESPN or Miami Herald or such generate the attention that might result in the need for some changing dynamics (which the bigwallets BOT do see and pay attention to SOMETIMES) is the only option I see with decent chance.

Advertisement
Meanwhile, Ruiz this week said that recent news surrounding his businesses, including an eyebrow-raising filing with the Securities and Exchange commission, will not impact his ability or willingness to continue paying Miami Hurricanes student athletes to promote his businesses. In an SEC filing last week, Ruiz said that any financial information, including filed earnings releases, investor presentations and other communications released by his company LifeWallet over the past year “should no longer be relied upon.”

Ruiz said, via text messages, that “LifeWallet continues to remain active. The delayed filing was because of a restatement in accounting whereby an entity that owns claims was now consolidated into the LifeWallet financials and had to be reconciled. The restatement as publicly disclosed related only to non-cash items and has no impact on cash.”

Asked if he plans to pull back on new NIL deals, Ruiz said: “We continue to do business as usual. Nothing has changed or is changing generally. But as any business, one always looks at how to maximize investments. We have a very good NIL platform.” Ruiz added that “all athletes have always gotten paid and continue to get paid. Those contracts are in place and are properly budgeted for. LifeWallet continues to do business as usual.”

Ruiz has given NIL deals to more than 120 UM student athletes, who in turn must promote his companies, LifeWallet and in some cases, Cigarette Racing Team. Whether the total value of Ruiz’s deals diminish over time remains to be seen. It might be difficult to sustain giving select transfers the type of two-year, $800,000 deal that Ruiz awarded UM guard Nijel Pack to promote LifeWallet after he transferred last spring from Kansas State. Pack was a key cog in UM’s run to the program’s first Final Four.

But Ruiz insisted that he’s not averse to selectively giving deals in that lofty financial range ($800,000 over two years). “Deals of different dollar values are always measured against a ROI,” Ruiz said, referring to return on investment. “The Nijel Pack deal, I submit, may be one of the best deals ever in NIL from an ROI perspective.”

But do deals of that size make financial sense any more? “LifeWallet continues business as usual and will study all business opportunities,” he replied. UM is vigorously pursuing players in the football and basketball portals but hasn’t added any players since another football portal window opened Saturday and since the basketball season ended. That has led some fans to conclude that Ruiz is not making six figure NIL offers for basketball players. Is that true? “That is totally off the mark,” he said. “UM just finished their season. Both LifeWallet as well as other NIL entities directly connected with UM have resources to make NIL deals.” Schools are permitted to discuss potential NIL opportunities with transfers but cannot, as an example, set up a meeting between Ruiz and a recruit or transfer.

Read more at: https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/...y-jackson/article274482846.html#storylink=cpy

As much as I want to land 3-4 portal studs, bringing along Casey, Jakai, Watson, Joseph, and Wooga taking another step is the best way to continue this run. Don’t get me wrong, bringing in players better than them is always option #1 and we do need to get Omier help, bc I don’t believe we have that guy on the roster. Hopefully Nwoko is the guy most believe he is. Coach those guys up and get them ready.

***Yes I understand we need bodies. Not discounting that, just saying it’s not a failure if we don’t get two starters in the portal. You can’t judge whether or not this offseason is a failure, until you see how the team plays next year. Like I said we might have the guys we are wanting out of the portal, on the roster right now.

As much as I want to land 3-4 portal studs, bringing along Casey, Jakai, Watson, Joseph, and Wooga taking another step is the best way to continue this run. Don’t get me wrong, bringing in players better than them is always option #1 and we do need to get Omier help, bc I don’t believe we have that guy on the roster. Hopefully Nwoko is the guy most believe he is. Coach those guys up and get them ready.

***Yes I understand we need bodies. Not discounting that, just saying it’s not a failure if we don’t get two starters in the portal. You can’t judge whether or not this offseason is a failure, until you see how the team plays next year. Like I said we might have the guys we are wanting out of the portal, on the roster right now.
Agreed, I'm far from panicking because I think the nucleus of Pack, Poplar, Omier is a solid foundation with a few bench pieces in fold. As someone else said, about finding right compliments to those 3 and our system. Some lesser rated transfer may fit in better anyway.

Advertisement
Also, from what a lot of people have said, Beran would play more of a Waardenburg role. Not a Miller replacement.

Why would he go to Missouri over us? I thought the portal would be easy pickings for us this season considering our location, nil and back to back elite 8 appearances. We were legitimately the second best team in the country last season.
If you did an iota of research on the subject - asking a lot from you, I know - you would quickly learn that FSU's lead assistant under Hamilton (Dennis Gates) is now Missouri's HC. In fact, Cleveland's lead recruiter, Charlton Young, is now on Gates' staff.

Advertisement
Back