2024 Transfer Portal

Advertisement
Last year we got the portals #4 rated Nigel Pack and #30 rated Norchad Omier. Right now we're not favorites for even one top 30 player accept Cleveland and 16 have already committed.

So you can tell us its 4 weeks next week and 5 and so on . We just don't want to see the all the top kids end up someplace else.
If you're Coach L, it's a difficult needle to thread, assuming you like/believe in, say, Casey and Watson. Bring in a George and a Cleveland, and Casey or Watson may hit the Portal if they see themselves "blocked." Bring in a top PG with a couple years left, Joseph might go.

Not nearly as hard if you don't have much regard for last yrs frosh recruits. The 5 position is different as Aire has already left and a big man really doesn't directly threaten any returnee.

I mean we signed a surprise elite recruit who is being mentioned as a possible lottery pick. That seems like good momentum.

Also, character and fit are HIGHLY prioritized by the staff… so we don’t even have the first clue about who is disqualified on those grounds.

Finally, the staff has to sign guys who fit with our three returning starters who they know they can win with… and Omier next to a traditional big kills our spacing and exposes us defensively against smaller and faster teams. No legit big is going to transfer here to be a bench rotation player, and Omier is unquestionably our starting 5 man.
We're all super excited to see what this kid can do but the newest recruiting show in town is the portal. Its as big or even bigger than high school recruiting now.

Getting the kid from Canada and George does show an ability to unearth jewels.

Whoever we get will be a good basketball player.

Good basketball minds like **** "Hoops" Weiss who attended the recent NIKE Hoop Summit came back raving about Nwoko's interior play. He just may be ready sooner than later for us. Hope so.

From SBLive:

In a Nike Hoop Summit men’s game that featured 12 of the top 30 recruits in the 247Sports composite rankings taking the court when Team USA faced Team World, no one likely showed up to the Moda Center with Michael Nwoko’s name circled.

That’s not news to the Canadian forward, who came off the bench for the World squad during its 90-84 loss to the USA.

“I’ve been overlooked my whole life,” Nwoko said. “So, being able to be on the biggest stage was a blessing to me.”

By the end of Saturday’s game, it would have been easy to make the case the Miami (Florida) commit deserved to be considered the MVP, despite his team losing.

Nwoko scored nine of the final 10 points for the World team, keeping the game competitive in the final few minutes. He finished with 17 points and eight rebounds in 18 minutes. He logged the best plus/minus of any player on either team at plus-19.

If you're Coach L, it's a difficult needle to thread, assuming you like/believe in, say, Casey and Watson. Bring in a George and a Cleveland, and Casey or Watson may hit the Portal if they see themselves "blocked." Bring in a top PG with a couple years left, Joseph might go.

Not nearly as hard if you don't have much regard for last yrs frosh recruits. The 5 position is different as Aire has already left and a big man really doesn't directly threaten any returnee.
That would certainly restrict the type and year of the players we could even recruit.

Advertisement

Why would we bring in a PG? You have Pack and Joseph with Pack moving to the 2 at times. We need a true 2 and a 4 to replace Wong and Miller from the portal. That's more than 60 minutes to replace. Plus another 10 for Walker. There are minutes there for an increased role for Casey and definitely minutes for Watson if they earn it.

Why would we bring in a PG? You have Pack and Joseph with Pack moving to the 2 at times. We need a true 2 and a 4 to replace Wong and Miller from the portal. That's more than 60 minutes to replace. Plus another 10 for Walker. There are minutes there for an increased role for Casey and definitely minutes for Watson if they earn it.
I think with the Portal, especially as the number of good available players decrease, you may end up with possibly taking the "best player." Especially, if they have multiple years of eligibility left.

If a PG hit the portal today, and he was head and shoulders better than Joseph, you'd likely take him. As for Pack, he's a Combo Guard but much better as a 2, than as your Point. He will be relied on to vastly improve his 13 ppg next season and playing the 2 is key.

Yes, there are minutes for Casey and Watson with this roster as presently constituted. Adding a Cleveland and maybe another player could change that equation. Players these days need very little reason to hit the Portal, especially if they see themselves as deserving starters.

P
I think with the Portal, especially as the number of good available players decrease, you may end up with possibly taking the "best player." Especially, if they have multiple years of eligibility left.

If a PG hit the portal today, and he was head and shoulders better than Joseph, you'd likely take him. As for Pack, he's a Combo Guard but much better as a 2, than as your Point. He will be relied on to vastly improve his 13 ppg next season and playing the 2 is key.

Yes, there are minutes for Casey and Watson with this roster as presently constituted. Adding a Cleveland and maybe another player could change that equation. Players these days need very little reason to hit the Portal, especially if they see themselves as deserving starters.
Pack wants to remain playing the 1. That is why he came to Miami, NIL or not. The new portal guys don't have to play 32+ minutes. Miller played 34 per game, Wong 33 per game. The new guys probably play 25 to 28 per game if Casey and Watson are good. Somebody picks up Beverly's 12 per game. Maybe Nwogo picks up Walker's minutes and more. We will see. There are more than enough minutes there to keep everybody happy and still be very, very good.

Last edited:
Advertisement
We could add 0 guys from here on out and still be a 2nd weekend team next season.

It feels like a lot of posters who would normally be talking about football are the ones getting themselves worked up...

We're going to be fine. We have a really good, proven core returning (Omier, Wooga, Pack, Joseph) and intriguing young guys ready to step up (Watson, Casey, Nwoko, Robinson, George). Obviously I'd like to add more pieces, but if we don't, I still think that's a top 25 team.

Why are we all so certain that L doesn’t view George as our starting 2 guard to replace Wong?

None of us expected Wooga to start and replace Mcgusty.

I do think we add a Miller replacement in the portal but I’m not sure we’ll add any more guards.

Don’t let football poison you, this program has an actual coach with an actual vision that is consistently over delivering on expectations. The roster will be fine.

P

Pack wants to remain playing the 1. That is why he came to Miami, NIL or not. The new portal guys don't have to play 32+ minutes. Miller played 34 per game, Wong 33 per game. The new guys probably play 25 to 28 per game if Casey and Watson are good. Somebody picks up Beverly's 12 per game. Maybe Nwogo picks up Walker's minutes and more. We will see. There are more than enough minutes there to keep everybody happy and still be very, very good.
We shall see. I know Pack WANTS to play the 1 to seemingly ready himself to be the next Steph Curry. But ... I see us needing at least 18-20 ppg from Pack this coming season and to be both the predominant ballhandler AND outside shooter is a tall order. Also, if Joseph earns a starting position, he has to play the 1, no?

The transfer portal will have more misses than signings so don't panic. This is normal.
Somewhat like baseball, 3 out of 10 gets you into the Hal of Fame.

Advertisement

The transfer portal will have more misses than signings so don't panic. This is normal.
Somewhat like baseball, 3 out of 10 gets you into the Hal of Fame.

The portal attention turns average starters into must get talents in the media.

It’s clear with players like Amzil, and now Deloach, they aren’t the caliber of player we are interested in.

****, his old coach apparently didn’t even want him at Penn St where he was expected to go.

Advertisement
We're all super excited to see what this kid can do but the newest recruiting show in town is the portal. Its as big or even bigger than high school recruiting now.

Getting the kid from Canada and George does show an ability to unearth jewels.

Whoever we get will be a good basketball player.
I love coach L but I don’t believe this. We’ve had plenty of wiffs.

Advertisement
Back