2021 QB Miller Moss receives offer

So interesting twist to Miller Moss's recruitment possibly, @Liberty City El

Long before California State University announced Tuesday its 23 campuses would remain closed through the fall semester, which in turn created more doubt regarding the upcoming high school football season in the state, Mission Hills (Calif.) Bishop Alemany's Miller Moss put himself in position to have some other options.

As the four-star quarterback put together his course load for the spring semester of his junior year, he took a couple extra classes to give himself flexibility — putting in motion the possibility that he could reclassify from the 2021 class to 2020, possibly graduating this spring and enrolling in college this summer, foregoing what would’ve been his senior year. Moss was already ahead of the curve because he's been taking summer school classes the last few years.

“First thing I want to say, it’s 100 percent my desire to play my senior year,” Moss told 247Sports on Wednesday. “That’s where my heart lies. There is a lot I want to accomplish in high school, I feel like there is a lot left for me to do, and I want to have a senior experience with the guys I’ve worked with on my high school team to this point.

“The only way I would [reclassify] is if the high school season is canceled and even if the high school season is canceled it’s not a guarantee.”

Moss is the No. 5 pro-style passer in 2021 and the No. 51 overall prospect per the 247Sports Composite. In mid-April he announced a final four of Alabama, LSU, UCLA and USC.

Moss is still working to whittle his list of finalists down, with the idea he’ll remain a 2021 recruit. With that, perhaps the door is open for another program — such as Michigan — who might be looking to add a 2020 quarterback to the equation.

“If there is no high school football on the West Coast at all, that would be something to prompt me to go to college early,” Moss said. “If it were an advantageous for me to get in early and get ahead and in the same sense I feel didn’t hurt me with eligibility, that’s something I definitely would go do.”

Moss has an uncle in Arizona, so playing high school football could be an option there.

Moss says the UCLA Bruins and USC Trojans have said they’re “not sure what’s going to happen.”

“The message from LSU and Alabama was, ‘We’re going to play no matter what.’ LSU’s whole staff is in the building working,” Moss said.

“I’m hesitant to put out a strong timeline,” Moss said. “The pandemic has definitely slowed it down because I had an official to LSU in early April and same thing with Alabama. Not being able to see LSU, I saw Alabama last year, but not being able to see LSU delayed my decision. They’ve been good with virtual tours.

“I’m hoping to make the decision in the next couple months.”

I saw a poll that one of the recruiting sites put out asking a bunch of the highly recruited California kids what they would do if there was no football in high schools this fall. Most said they would concentrate on their studies and work out. One or two said they didn't know, hadn't thought about it. Jonathan Flowe was the only one who said he would transfer to either IMG Academy or Bishop Gorman in Vegas.

247 just made this story their national front page story.

Advertisement
From the USC 247 recruiting reporter:

"Moss is quickly approaching a decision — possibly within the next week — which lends itself to a two-team race between USC and UCLA."

The extended dead period has caused him to move up his decision since he cannot make the visits to Alabama and LSU before his season would begin.

Advertisement
I’d watch for UCLA with Garcia and then Miami. I think His girlfriend goes there

Advertisement
I’d watch for UCLA with Garcia and then Miami. I think His girlfriend goes there
You'd think they'd already be in the running and were vetted out a while back. His initial recruitment was Miami, Nebraska, and USC.

Advertisement
Someone that is familiar with the area where he plays high school at stated that he doubts Garcia ends up here even before he committed to USC. I don’t know the reason why they said that. However, if Bama was pushing for Moss as a second QB in the class then it’s only right to speculate that Bama might be a landing spot for him.

Comparison of the two by the QB coach they both work with:

Moss and Garcia work with the same private quarterback coach in Danny Hernandez, who obviously sees both pupils as guys who can be the face of USC’s program down the road.

Garcia’s offer list included Alabama, Auburn, Florida, Georgia, LSU, Ohio State, Oregon, Tennessee, Texas and UCLA as all the heavyweights were swinging on him early in the cycle. As a junior he completed over 70 percent of his attempts for 2,301 yards and 25 touchdowns to just eight interceptions

“I think Jake has one of the smoothest strokes in the country,” Hernandez said. “He can throw with anybody. I think Jake sometimes doesn’t get that much credit for his athleticism. The kid can really move, throw from every arm slot. He can literally make every single throw. The other thing about Jake, he’s a real high energy guy. Jake is the kind of guy, he owns the room right when he walks in there. I think people want to play for that guy. He has that juice about him you really want to be around and he’s always been a guy that’s been loved by his teammates.”

Moss ultimately chose the Trojans over the Crimson Tide, LSU and Bruins. He threw for 3,118 yards and 28 touchdowns in the fall with 10 interceptions for Mission Hills (Calif.) Bishop Alemany.

“He’s one of the smartest quarterbacks I’ve ever worked with,” Hernandez said. “He’s highly intelligent. Just from a throwing standpoint the kid can literally make every single throw. He’s a real student of the game and has an understanding and appreciation of the entire game. The other thing I love about Miller is how competitive he is. You’ll see he has mamba in his profile, he’s willing to compete against anybody. He’s just that fierce competitor, not scared in any setting whether that’s getting on the board, leading a team, matching someone throw for throw, whatever it is thats who he is.

“I think he’s going to do great at the next level. He’s that guy that does a good job making everyone else around him better. He’s that guy that will click right away and be on the same page with his offensive coordinator and finishing his sentences, thats the kind of guy he is.”

Advertisement
Someone that is familiar with the area where he plays high school at stated that he doubts Garcia ends up here even before he committed to USC. I don’t know the reason why they said that. However, if Bama was pushing for Moss as a second QB in the class then it’s only right to speculate that Bama might be a landing spot for him.
If Bryce Young wasn't there, I'd agree. He didn't pull trigger on USC until Young was out of picture. That bodes well for us and other interested parties.

From the USC board, their west coast "insider":

I actually think they will sign both as both are very committed to USC and I don’t see either player being afraid to compete with the other. Both signal callers are highly confident in their ability and it will be fun to watch the two compete for what should be the backup job behind starter Kedon Slovis the second they arrive on campus.

In terms of his ability to process the game at such an advanced level and his game experience as well, we think Moss will have an edge on Garcia when they first arrive on campus. Moss plays the game like a college quarterback right now and in terms of his playing style and feel, actually reminds us a little of former USC QB JT Daniels, who recently transferred to Georgia.

Saying that, there's a lot to like about Garcia as well, who coincidentally reminds us a little of Trojan current starter Kedon Slovis. He plays with a loose, 'let it rip' style and has some Brett Favre in his game. As mentioned, he has a gun slinger mentality and will make a lot of splash plays for sure and if he can continue to grow as a player and quarterback, the competition between these two should be a lot of fun to watch.

Advertisement
Back