2021 DB Omarion Cooper

Advertisement
I take solace in the fact it's FSU, and I expect their class to disintegrate as their season starts looking like Miami 2019. Any FSU "commit" is open season, like our commits were under Golden.

I couldn’t agree with this more! Not only has their coach ****ed off many players, and they really aren’t that good!

I try to be a positive guy when it comes to this oppression. And many here are annoyed at the recruiting issues with the defensive coaches. I worry they can’t coach. Baker to me did nothing last year with this group. When we needed a stop we couldn’t get one. The defense was all over the place. Many times in coverage they had no clue what they were doing and constantly talking and pointing. Butch fired his DC when Nate Webster ignored the defensive calls and we gave up 500 points to Syracuse. How Diaz didn’t make a move to get a quality DC is beyond me.

This is why the whole "we've been a losing team!" excuse doesn't cut it for me, FSU hasn't had a winning season since 2016, 3 coaching changes with multiple staffs & still can land top tier blue chip Corners.

**** Arkansas hasn't had a winning season since Petrino was there & even after going 2-10 last year are in position to sign 2 4-star corners in their class.

UNC went 7-6 last year, and hasn't had a winning season since Fedora's 2015 season & their staff has only been there for 1 season & Dre Bly is about to land the #1 ranked CB in the nation.

Yes they are but something seems fishy to me about what they are doing. Maybe it’s me, and I know people like Mack Brown. But really? Either way, the fact is you are right on the money.

They will say its bags, and were not winning, every excuse in the book....the funny thing is...those same excuses they wont use at other positions....JUST CB.
it’s not just cb. Nobody talks about how shaky d-line recruiting is looking. LB has been a problem.

Advertisement
Those Lehigh kids been going to Fsu.. yall make me laugh. I bet his HC pushed him there. It's beyond obvious to me. How many guys from Lehigh have we signed the past 10 cycles. He's been to Miami 5 times. If he wanted in welp. Some of yall get so attached to these kids. Then goes to Fsu and becomes the next bust. Like McFadden, like Levonta... I could name a bunch of kids who haven't impressed me from there. But go on keep crying.

it’s not just cb. Nobody talks about how shaky d-line recruiting is looking. LB has been a problem.
The DE is straight and is will only get better, but there DT recruiting is the definition of just straight mediocre....not terrible, but not amazing either. Its beenbabiut 3 classes and they still have not receiited a legit difference maker at the DT position.

The DE is straight and is will only get better, but there DT recruiting is the definition of just straight mediocre....not terrible, but not amazing either. Its beenbabiut 3 classes and they still have not receiited a legit difference maker at the DT position.

I agree, we haven't signed a big timer at DT since Marcus Forston.
We haven't signed the elite cb since Tracey.
All of these hs studs going out of state to rural SEC schools or Clemson - looks like bags and/or bandwagon kids in the equation.
Last on the defensive side - move Patke to an administrative role or fire him if there are no options. Slide Ed into coaching and allow him to help Rumph on the recruiting trail and both positions - S and CB. Banda replaces Baker as the DC if the Defense is weak again. Get another recruiter on the staff or bagman. We should be able to get the two 5 stars every year in our backyard via bags. There's too much money in Miami, somebody develop a scheme to hide the trail, lol.

All of these hs studs going out of state to rural SEC schools or Clemson - looks like bags and/or bandwagon kids in the equation.
Last on the defensive side - move Patke to an administrative role or fire him if there are no options. Slide Ed into coaching and allow him to help Rumph on the recruiting trail and both positions - S and CB. Banda replaces Baker as the DC if the Defense is weak again. Get another recruiter on the staff or bagman. We should be able to get the two 5 stars every year in our backyard via bags. There's too much money in Miami, somebody develop a scheme to hide the trail, lol.
Brilliant!

Advertisement
Miami has always been a microwave program. If we start winning, the momentum builds and builds and top recruits come. When we started 10-0 on 2017, we were on our way to a top 5 class. Still finished with the 8th class, even with the 3 losses in a row. King is that momentum spark in 2020.

Agreed, I think if they get another recruiter that can coach special teams and help Rumph.... there will be a dramatic increase in recruiting success. I think Banda is getting better and Reed should only help in that department, but LB, CB, and DT need to get a little better. I hope UM can pull Taylor it's about time we get a high caliber DT.

Agreed, I think if they get another recruiter that can coach special teams and help Rumph.... there will be a dramatic increase in recruiting success. I think Banda is getting better and Reed should only help in that department, but LB, CB, and DT need to get a little better. I hope UM can pull Taylor it's about time we get a high caliber DT.
Winning (and winning big games like Notre dame and V-Tech in 2017) help our coaches and their recruiting shortcomings. If we simply win games, it creates this momentum that we saw in 2017. It was crazy. In terms of recruiting, Banda has been better than Rumph. Amari Carter, Gurvan Hall and Bubba Bolden is a very solid haul. Rumph’s best year in terms of recruiting was ‘18, when he landed Ivey, Blades and Frierson. Three 4* CB’s (and we should have landed one or two more).

Some of what you say makes sense. But:

1. I STRONGLY disagree with you is the idea we should promote Banda to DC. He has only now started to deserve to be called a safeties coach, didn't deserve that promotion. He certainly doesn't deserve to run our defense. We need a Lashlee type to come in at defense and Manny to step back and let his lieutenants lead. I personally wouldn't mind trying to convince Bud Foster to un-retire, or at least come in as an advisor for a young hotshot who has proven himself at the G5 or Div 2 level.

2. Bags are not the answer. We'll get creamed by the NCAA if we go down that route again. We are not the SEC, Tobacco Road, the big oil schools, Clem$on or Taint. Besides, we'd just get outbid. The only way we get the 5 stars with their hands out is if we are in the national championship discussion. And those kids with the for-sale signs are rare enough that we should still always be able to get a bunch of studs without resorting to buyouts.

Advertisement
Winning (and winning big games like Notre dame and V-Tech in 2017) help our coaches and their recruiting shortcomings. If we simply win games, it creates this momentum that we saw in 2017. It was crazy. In terms of recruiting, Banda has been better than Rumph. Amari Carter, Gurvan Hall and Bubba Bolden is a very solid haul. Rumph’s best year in terms of recruiting was ‘18, when he landed Ivey, Blades and Frierson. Three 4* CB’s (and we should have landed one or two more).
The winning games is true, but I was solely focusing on how they can upgrade the coaching staff to improve recruiting. That 18 class was not that good for Rumph; he got Blades a great get, Gil was recruited to play CB, if we consider what they were recruited to do than that was a miss. Though I think Gil is good, he needs to have a solid upcoming season and we already know what the deal with Ivey is. Though Ivey's UM career in a sense has just begun, he hasn't showed that much promise.

When I saw this thread brought back from the dead i got excited. And that excitement dissipated in record time when I saw that comment

Advertisement

****, add OL as it sucked last year and some other of those guys were highly recruited. Pretty much every unit to some degree, but we've outrecruited our win loss record through it all.

Fact is, CB recruiting on paper has been as good as any other position. Go, respect Hume, but he has a major hard on for hating Rumph. Always seems to act like its roses and sunshine everywhere else. That's far from the case.

So what happen here, did we not push for him. There are a few guys UM should still push for who are committed. If I was UM I would obviously push for Brown, but some of the committed guys they should have kept tabs on should have been Knowles, Cooper, Daniel Edwards, and McGhee.

Advertisement
Back