2021 DB Omarion Cooper [to enter Portal]

It seems like we offered this kid very late. Who’s fault is that? Do we know if Rumph wanted him earlier or is it just a complete cluster there as usual?

A little late but its not like other schools were on him much earlier... Michigan, Texas, and USCe offered in Feb 2020. Penn State offered in late Jan 2020, Miami offered in March 2020. FSU and Lousiville were on him since last year but the other 4 that made his top 6 offered within 2 months of Miami.

Advertisement
Bumping Van Dyke is interesting. Sure seems to click with kids.
It makes sense. Really connects with kids, former NFL player, and paid his dues. Only question I have is how much say does he have in the evals because our eval at CB are suspect outside of Dunson and Williams.

JMO if you have to baby sit your CB coach then go hire a new CB coach. Bump Van dyke up or hire an up and comer like Jeff Burris from Louisiana Tech. Guy just put 2 CBs in the draft. Even Fran Brown is an improvement. He doesn’t have to be married to Rumph.
That’s fair, but it is also assuming that he has total freedom to make offers and set his board. If the bottleneck is Manny or Baker, then this doesn’t really apply.

Advertisement
It would be criminal to not take 3 quality Corners this cycle. And while i like Curtis's elite speed, he should be a plan B or C guy too many talented DBs this year.

It would be criminal to not take 3 quality Corners this cycle. And while i like Curtis's elite speed, he should be a plan B or C guy too many talented DBs this year.
hes a wr they want to convert because of his elite speed

That’s fair, but it is also assuming that he has total freedom to make offers and set his board. If the bottleneck is Manny or Baker, then this doesn’t really apply.
No, this is what I mean by baby sit. They don’t even trust him to offer his guys and make evals. He’s just a warm body.

Advertisement
JMO if you have to baby sit your CB coach then go hire a new CB coach. Bump Van dyke up or hire an up and comer like Jeff Burris from Louisiana Tech. Guy just put 2 CBs in the draft. Even Fran Brown is an improvement. He doesn’t have to be married to Rumph.
Great take! Jeff Burris form LA Tech would a great hire. Worked under Baker his last year. 10 yr NFL Vet, Former 1st Rd Draft Pick, Assistant CB coach for Dolphins from 2013-2015.

No, this is what I mean by baby sit. They don’t even trust him to offer his guys and make evals. He’s just a warm body.
Right but it may not be babysitting. It may be a failure of leadership to delegate and trust him to do his job. We simply don’t know without being on staff and hearing their conversations. Whatever it is or isn’t is not working as well as it could or should.

Then to your point Z...why the marriage to Rumph then? Does he have *** **** shots of other coaches and/or Manny? Something is amiss if he can’t even provide anything on the recruiting trail. Sounds like Banda does most of the leg work anyways

Then to your point Z...why the marriage to Rumph then? Does he have *** **** shots of other coaches and/or Manny? Something is amiss if he can’t even provide anything on the recruiting trail. Sounds like Banda does most of the leg work anyways
Who knows but I don’t like that I can at least get a better coach in Burris or a better recruiter in Van Dyke at least in the beginning of their transition but there’s no move. If he’s just there to coach then what’s the point? Give somebody a shot that could be better at both.

Advertisement
Right but it may not be babysitting. It may be a failure of leadership to delegate and trust him to do his job. We simply don’t know without being on staff and hearing their conversations. Whatever it is or isn’t is not working as well as it could or should.
Possibly but it just seems as if he’s not cutting it.

I honestly think there's a chance Rumph still doesn't want Cooper. And also that Mike Rumph has no idea what he wants in general.

M.Brown, maybe Rabey for the tall corner spot? Maybe he stumbles upon Sistrunk after he longs into 247 after a meeting with his shrink.

EPAmiP1WAAEceOv

Arms for days
Not even looking at skill level but that's the prototype frame Rumph loves at CB. Even the smaller guys like Couch have long *** arms.

Advertisement
And THIS is why Rumph gets hate. No one is expecting him to get 5-stars/top 100 CB prospects.

Just get the low 4-stars and the 3-stars that project well and/or have high athletic upside but he can’t even do that. The amount of quality DB prospects we’ve missed out on is painful.

And when he does, he ****es them off and they run to Gaynesville.

Didn't see it elsewhere, so I apologize if I missed it, but he released his Top 6.

Louisville, Texas, USCe, FSU, Michigan, Penn State.

No Miami. Rumph continues to Rumph.
Doesn’t seem like the staff really wanted him. It’s clear as day yet y’all still hollering rumph lol

Who knows but I don’t like that I can at least get a better coach in Burris or a better recruiter in Van Dyke at least in the beginning of their transition but there’s no move. If he’s just there to coach then what’s the point? Give somebody a shot that could be better at both.
What makes you think van dyke is able to effectively coach corners at this level. I don’t doubt his recruiting ability but we need someone who can do both. If our guys underperform we’ll wine about a whole other thing ya know.

Advertisement
Back