2020 S Daran Branch receives offer (commits!)

Advertisement
Its the same thing with Hodges as well. Thats 1 of the strengths i see him....he has a lonnng wingspan.

I LOVE the Branch pick up and from the get i thought maybe he i sbeing brought in as a CB. I never thought Striker.

Yes sir!!!

That’s the only thing I could really take from, because there’s not much film out there. But he looks the part of what I like, what’s your thoughts ? Have you seen him live? Good take?

Its the same thing with Hodges as well. Thats 1 of the strengths i see him....he has a lonnng wingspan.

I LOVE the Branch pick up and from the get i thought maybe he i sbeing brought in as a CB. I never thought Striker.

At the same time I never thought striker with Frierson...I mean Derrick Smith staying at safety, and Frierson playing striker? (And ya I know Frierson was 15-20lbs bigger than Branch). Those positions for those players are both major underdogs. Just saying. I think the roles in our defense still evolving as Diaz and Baker will continue to tweak it.

I could see Branch at any of the 3 positions, I agree with you striker may be the least likely, but I'm not ruling it out.

Last edited:
Advertisement
At the same time I never thought striker with Frierson...I mean Derrick Smith staying at safety, and Frierson playing striker? (And ya I know Frierson was 15-20lbs bigger than Branch). Those positions for those players are both major underdogs. Just saying. I think the roles in our defense still evolving as Diaz and Baker will continue to tweak it.

I could see Branch at any of the 3 positions, I agree with you striker may be the least likely, but I'm not ruling it out.

Derrick Smith ALWAYS played int he back end though. His uncle or cousin is Lito Sheppard. He came in more advanced at DB than most of our guys that come in and looked pretty good there as a freshman. Im not surprised about Smith at all.

Frierson i kinda saw it...He isnt that good in coverage on the deep side...and is likely better to use his short area burst as an in the box safety.

Derrick Smith ALWAYS played int he back end though. His uncle or cousin is Lito Sheppard. He came in more advanced at DB than most of our guys that come in and looked pretty good there as a freshman. Im not surprised about Smith at all.

Frierson i kinda saw it...He isnt that good in coverage on the deep side...and is likely better to use his short area burst as an in the box safety.

Ya I kinda disagree with all that...Smith looked kinda stiff at times with physicality being the best part of his tape...and came in at 205 or so I believe...Frierson looked rangy and more of a ball hawk. I'm not shocked at either result, and don't know if they will star, start, or even contribute at these spots, but I'm mildly surprised on Smith staying DB/moving back from striker, and definitely surprised that Frierson couldn't stick somewhere in the secondary, jmo.

Last edited:
Ya I kinda disagree with all that...Smith looked kinda stiff at times with physicality being the best part of his tape...and came in at 205 or so I believe...Frierson looked rangy and more of a ball hawk. I'm not shocked at either result, and don't know if they will star, start, or even contribute at these spots, but I'm mildly surprised on Smith staying DB/moving back from striker, and definitely surprised that Frierson couldn't stick somewhere in the secondary, jmo.

Derrick Smith covers better than Frierson. His freshman year here we had him lined up one on one in the slot against guys.
High school tape be damned. 1 came in and got buried at cb and had to be moved, the other was stealing reps in the back end at safety.

Advertisement
Derrick Smith covers better than Frierson. His freshman year here we had him lined up one on one in the slot against guys.
High school tape be damned. 1 came in and got buried at cb and had to be moved, the other was stealing reps in the back end at safety.
Agree

Facts!

I've been waiting on us to open up a pipeline into TX & LA both those states produces high caliber DB's every class.

We should always be offering QB's & DB's from Texas & offering CB's, S's & DLinemen from Louisiana.

No doubt.

The three most important OOS places that UM should be saturating: New Orleans area, East Texas, and New Jersey.

Oh I hear ya...But we don't have a freshman year to go on for Branch like we do for Frierson and Smith.

And I like Smith as a player, but there's a reason he was never tried at corner (not a knock, just not his game/skillset, obviously it didn't end up being Frierson's either)

Advertisement
Possibly Metro Atlanta

Replace Texas with metro atl and prosper.

We should be in New Orleans like how these other f-cks live in s.fla.

I'm a fan of nyc/jersey too.
We should be able to supplement s.fla misses with guys from these states

Replace Texas with metro atl and prosper.

We should be in New Orleans like how these other f-cks live in s.fla.

I'm a fan of nyc/jersey too.
We should be able to supplement s.fla misses with guys from these states

Looks like we are doing that. Two weeks after Donnell Harris told us to eat dirt we had Romello Height committed.

On the whole, Manny seems to be wasting less time on guys who clearly are headed elsewhere.

yup...It seems like this batch of transfers may help us with with West Coast kids too, so we gotta at least try to ride that wave...

But big picture I'd stay NYC/Jersey, Atl, and LA would be my top 3. Whole Atlanta metro and suburbs seems like the rare mixture of inner city with real coaching (For lack of better word), but there's just powerhouse after powerhouse in there, and plenty to go around even with the SEC presence.

Obv kick the tires in East Texas, Tidewater, West Coast, maybe Charlotte area... But those would be top 3 if I had to call it.

Advertisement
yup...It seems like this batch of transfers may help us with with West Coast kids too, so we gotta at least try to ride that wave...

But big picture I'd stay NYC/Jersey, Atl, and LA would be my top 3. Whole Atlanta metro and suburbs seems like the rare mixture of inner city with real coaching (For lack of better word), but there's just powerhouse after powerhouse in there, and plenty to go around even with the SEC presence.

Obv kick the tires in East Texas, Tidewater, West Coast, maybe Charlotte area... But those would be top 3 if I had to call it.

Those 3 areas are places where kids generally fit in s.fla and they want to come here. Tx is cool but we aren't a factor there...another spot riped for the take is tidewater va area but we don't have an in yet. V t is about to implode and uva doesn't have recruiters. We should be all over that. Fsu likely will

Advertisement
Back