STATE
POSITION
ANDRE
CURBELO

6'0" | 170 LBS | PG
LONG ISLAND LUTHERAN
GLEN HEAD, NY
CLASS OF 2020

What he does: Having sat with coaches as they’ve watched Curbelo run the show, it’s all about his leadership and ability to judge what the game calls for that makes him so coveted. Curbelo’s feel for whether he needs to play the role of primary scorer, setup man or be a defensive stopper that sets him apart.

Who's chasing: Here’s where things get interesting because Curbelo has given no hints about any possible leans and he has an extensive offer list. Marylandand Texas Tech are the most recent to jump in the mix while others like Boston College, Connecticut, Florida, Illinois, Louisville, Pittsburgh, Providence, St. John’s, TCU and many more are chasing. This guy needs to set some visits so we can start to separate the contenders from the pretenders.

k1mdzciiphlhlrompobl

NATIONAL
STATE
POSITION
MATT
CROSS

6'8" | 225 LBS | PF
BREWSTER ACADEMY
WOLFEBORO, NH
CLASS OF 2020

What he does: Cross scores the ball with skill and he’s got a mean streak in him. He can shoot jumpers from deep, is pretty good at putting the ball on the floor and is a mobile combo forward that allows a coach to go big with him on the wing or small with him at the four.

Who's chasing: Cross is currently on an official visit to Florida and has previously visited Butler, Indiana, Miami and South Carolina. Next, he’s supposed to visit Texas A&M officially. Cross also looks to be close to a decision and headed into these latest visits, the thought was Indiana and Miami led. Can he be swayed late?

i7ifk6a5sktumxanc1iv

NATIONAL
STATE
POSITION
JALEN
BRIDGES

6'7" | 205 LBS | SF
SCOTLAND PERFORMANCE INSTITUTE
SCOTLAND, PA
CLASS OF 2020

What he does: Bridges is a big wing from West Virginia who was originally in the class of 2019 before deciding to take a year of prep school. He makes shots from the wing, is a physical driver, rebounds and because of his size and strength is capable of both defending the four and playing it on offense which allows coaches some wiggle in how they would use him.

Who's chasing: Marquette appeared to be doing great and Bridges had a visit set for early August. But, since assistant Brett Nelson took the Holy Cross job, Marquette’s chances could be slipping. Ohio State, Pittsburgh and Xavier have had him on campus and could get return official visits while others like Indiana, Miami and West Virginia are strong in the mix.

Some players I really want Miami to push hard for are:

PG Andre Cuberlo 6'0" - Crafty scorer and great floor general, would be a good heir to Lykes. He's of latin descent and Miami would be a good fit for him. I'd say there's a good chance of him coming here.

PG Deivon Smith 5'11" - Very athletic PG, but he's from Georgia and will likely go to either UGA or GT. We are still in the running though.

PG Jamal Mashburn Jr. 6'0" - Speedy combo guard, good shooter. He's from Miami and he was on Walker's Brewster team last year. There's a high chance he could come here.

SG Niels Lane 6'5" - Two way high energy player, playstyle reminds me of our own Cam McGusty. We offered him fairly recently but I think there's a slight chance of him coming here.

SG Moses Moody 6'5" - A great shooter from all across the floor and can also attack the rim. He played with Harlond Beverly at Monverde last year so that could help recruitment. He's being predicted to Arkansas/Florida so him coming here may be unlikely.

SG/SF Jyare Davis 6'6" - Athletic big guard who has a clean stroke and is a good passer. I think he's very underrated and we should be in a good position to get him. He has visited.

SF Jalen Bridges 6'7" - Good sized wing who can shoot, drive, rebound, and defend. He has a long list of suitors but Miami is still in the running.

SF Scottie Barnes 6'8" - It would be a pipe dream but I just don't see how he chooses us over the blue bloods when he has a good chance of being a one and done. Slim chance he comes here, but we are in his final 8.

PF Matt Cross 6'8" - Prototypical stretch 4 with a great jumper for his size. He seems to be interested in us, but some South Carolina insiders believe he's headed there. There's a slim chance we get him.

PF Lance Ware 6'9" - A very recent offer for a solid PF who is an adept finisher in the paint. It's hard to tell our chances but he's highly ranked and getting a lot of new offers.

PF/C Jamille Reynolds 6'9" - A local FL kid who would fill a need on our team as a big body. He's not very skilled and mostly just uses his size. Would be a depth grab if we don't feel good about many others.

C Elijah Hutchins-Everett 6'10" - High motor big who is a good rebounder and decent finisher in the paint. Would be a good addition to the roster, we have a decent chance if we push for him.

C John Hughley 6'9" - Well sized big man who uses his body extremely well. He also has the potential to shoot 3s. With our conditioning, he could be a monster. He has us in his final 12, he would be a great get.

In the end, the realistic outcome that I would be happy with is:

Andre Cuberlo
Jamal Mashburn jr./ Niels Lane
Jyare Davis/Jalen Bridges
Elijah Hutchins-Everett/John Hughley

You would get a future PG in Cuberlo, a shooter in Mashburn or a high energy guard in Lane, a very solid SF in Davis or Bridges, and a decent big man in Elijah Hutchins-Evertt/John Hughley.

Advertisement
Some players I really want Miami to push hard for are:

PG Andre Cuberlo 6'0" - Crafty scorer and great floor general, would be a good heir to Lykes. He's of latin descent and Miami would be a good fit for him. I'd say there's a good chance of him coming here.

PG Deivon Smith 5'11" - Very athletic PG, but he's from Georgia and will likely go to either UGA or GT. We are still in the running though.

PG Jamal Mashburn Jr. 6'0" - Speedy combo guard, good shooter. He's from Miami and he was on Walker's Brewster team last year. There's a high chance he could come here.

SG Niels Lane 6'5" - Two way high energy player, playstyle reminds me of our own Cam McGusty. We offered him fairly recently but I think there's a slight chance of him coming here.

SG Moses Moody 6'5" - A great shooter from all across the floor and can also attack the rim. He played with Harlond Beverly at Monverde last year so that could help recruitment. He's being predicted to Arkansas/Florida so him coming here may be unlikely.

SG/SF Jyare Davis 6'6" - Athletic big guard who has a clean stroke and is a good passer. I think he's very underrated and we should be in a good position to get him. He has visited.

SF Jalen Bridges 6'7" - Good sized wing who can shoot, drive, rebound, and defend. He has a long list of suitors but Miami is still in the running.

SF Scottie Barnes 6'8" - It would be a pipe dream but I just don't see how he chooses us over the blue bloods when he has a good chance of being a one and done. Slim chance he comes here, but we are in his final 8.

PF Matt Cross 6'8" - Prototypical stretch 4 with a great jumper for his size. He seems to be interested in us, but some South Carolina insiders believe he's headed there. There's a slim chance we get him.

PF Lance Ware 6'9" - A very recent offer for a solid PF who is an adept finisher in the paint. It's hard to tell our chances but he's highly ranked and getting a lot of new offers.

PF/C Jamille Reynolds 6'9" - A local FL kid who would fill a need on our team as a big body. He's not very skilled and mostly just uses his size. Would be a depth grab if we don't feel good about many others.

C Elijah Hutchins-Everett 6'10" - High motor big who is a good rebounder and decent finisher in the paint. Would be a good addition to the roster, we have a decent chance if we push for him.

C John Hughley 6'9" - Well sized big man who uses his body extremely well. He also has the potential to shoot 3s. With our conditioning, he could be a monster. He has us in his final 12, he would be a great get.

In the end, the realistic outcome that I would be happy with is:

Andre Cuberlo
Jamal Mashburn jr./ Niels Lane
Jyare Davis/Jalen Bridges
Elijah Hutchins-Everett/John Hughley

You would get a future PG in Cuberlo, a shooter in Mashburn or a high energy guard in Lane, a very solid SF in Davis or Bridges, and a decent big man in Elijah Hutchins-Evertt/John Hughley.
Have we offered Mashburn jr?

I don't want to make the same mistake we made with Hardaway's son

Miami did not make his final 5. I hope Miami pushes harder for Jamille Reynolds. Interesting that he was going to reclass to 2019 so maybe that was one of the reasons Miami still has 2 open scholarships.

This is good news as Miami made his final 7. Another step in the right direction for Miami will be getting him down to Coral Gables for an official visit and making him feel like a priority. Also, factor in that he plays for Team Final, the same travel basketball program that Miami got commitments from Jaquan Newton (2014) and Lonnie Walker (2017) works well for Miami.

He is a bigger guard who is a better shooter and defender than Jaquan but not as athletic or explosive as Lonnie Walker.

Last edited:
Advertisement

More good news for Miami basketball. Earl is a very good defender whose is offensively gifted. Making the final 7 is a good step and the next step will be getting him to Coral Gables for an official visit. I am very high on him but try not to compare him to James Harden when you watch his highlights.

Last edited:

More good news for Miami basketball. Earl is a very good defender whose is offensively gifted. Making the final 7 is a good step and the next step will be getting him to Coral Gables for an official visit. I am very high on him but try not to compare him to James Harden when you watch his highlights.

I think it's ideal to get some of these guys to pair with our current freshmen rather than shooting for a higher up prospect like Barnes. These guys are high ranked recruits that aren't necessarily good enough to be one and dones. If we hit on 2 or 3 of our main guys in 2020, by 2021 or so we should have a monster squad.

I think it's ideal to get some of these guys to pair with our current freshmen rather than shooting for a higher up prospect like Barnes. These guys are high ranked recruits that aren't necessarily good enough to be one and dones. If we hit on 2 or 3 of our main guys in 2020, by 2021 or so we should have a monster squad.

I have been high on Timberlake for a while and I also like Lane. Barnes is still the crown jewel and getting all three should be the goal. Add in PG Andre Curbelo then Miami competes for the ACC easily next season.

1 one and done player per class is not a bad thing but you have to build a roster with talent from 1 through 13. Depth is important.

This becomes a bigger deal if he schedules an official visit with Miami. It is a good sign for Miami that he is visiting but nothing to get too excited about but let's see how this progresses.

Advertisement

Good news, Miami will have another visitor. Miami really needs 5 scholarships for the 2020 recruiting class.

Last edited:

bqpjrdnqpaucywxdhojl

NATIONAL
STATE
POSITION
LANCE
WARE

6'9" | 205 LBS | PF
BIG PICTURE LEARNING ACADEMY
CAMDEN, NJ
CLASS OF 2020

Why he could rise: Both myself and Corey Evans are in total agreement that we have Ware underrated, and we spent much of July wondering why elite college hoops programs weren't all over him. He is quick, he has touch, he causes nightmares for other bigs when attacking off the dribble from the high post and he's learning to play from inside out to maximize his quickness advantage.
Recruitment: Kentucky just offered over the weekend and could be tough to beat here. Connecticut, Georgetown, Louisville, Michigan, Pittsburgh, Temple, Oregon, Providence and Wake Forest are among others involved.

Advertisement

6. Miami
The reason Miami sits towards the bottom of this list but not quite last is because they have been inconsistent at best as of late, but they also play in the best conference when it comes to college basketball.

The ACC is by far the strongest conference as it relates to college basketball as they have had three National Champions since 2015 and five teams make the Final Four in that time frame as well.

Miami has made it to only three NCAA Tournaments since 2014 and in that time frame they have won at least one game only once, which was back in 2016 when they made it to the Sweet Sixteen. It is because of this that the Hurricanes are towards the bottom of the list for Earl Timberlake.

The Hurricanes are one of the most inconsistent teams in the ACC and although Timberlake would have the opportunity to prove himself against some of the best players and teams in American, he would be doing so for a team that has had little success as of late.

However, although the Hurricanes have struggled as a team lately, they have had four players selected in the NBA Draft since 2017.

So once again, depending on what Timberlake wants out of his college experience, Miami COULD be a decent fit for the small forward. Miami is one of the only teams on this list that has had more than one player selected in the NBA Draft, so if this is ultimately what Timberlake wants, it could be a good fit.

However, in doing so Timberlake would be playing for arguably the most inconsistent team in the best basketball conference in America.

Miami is a big risk reward team and because of it they are towards the bottom of this list, but if Timberlake is ok with struggling as a team to thrive as a player, this might not be a bad option.

Interesting perspective but I disagree with his opinion.

Advertisement
Back