2020 Recruiting.

Advertisement

Andre Curbelo, PG, NY Jayhawks

In an overtime win over Game Elite, Curbello was fantastic. The high IQ point guard made some incredible passes, and really did a good job of controlling the game. While at times he can get a little too deep when dribbling into the lane, Curbello does virtually everything else exactly how you would want from a point guard. He is a solid shooter, he will compete on the defensive end, and he is a fantastic playmaker. While he isn't the most explosive athlete, he makes up for it with a tremendous change of pace dribble, and his willingness to play with a high motor on every single possession.

Recruiting: Illinois, St. John's, West Virginia, Florida, Louisville, TCU, Kansas, Indiana
A native of Puerto Rico, wonder why Miami is NOT on the list of schools recruiting Curbelo. He goes to Long Island Lutheran. LuHi is a college prep school so you wouldn't expect academics to pose an Admissions issue.

A native of Puerto Rico, wonder why Miami is NOT on the list of schools recruiting Curbelo. He goes to Long Island Lutheran. LuHi is a college prep school so you wouldn't expect academics to pose an Admissions issue.

26 points and 10 assist yesterday. The kid can really pay. He lead Puerto Rico to a 6th place finish in the FIBA U19 last week. In fairness, Miami has offered and his travel team has a 1100 average on the SAT so grades are not an issue.

How hard Miami is recruiting him is the question?

Last edited:
Advertisement

Deivon Smith, PG, Atlanta Celtics

The highly athletic class of 2020 prospect was again back to his dominating ways. Smith missed some time in June with an injury, but he returned to make a major impression last week in Hoover. Smith can get into the lane whenever he wants, and then has a pretty nice looking mid-range jumper. While his first instinct is to score, Smith is also getting better at getting into the lane and setting up teammates. Though he is smaller, at 5-foot-11, he finishes well around the rim with his athleticism, and he is continuing to improve as an all-around player, evidenced by his near triple-double to secure the title for the Celtics.

Recruiting: Oregon, Miami, Louisville, Alabama, Georgia and others

Advertisement
Kerwin Walton, 3 star from that well-known hoops hotbed of Minnesota. Oh well, looking at the bright side, could've been a 2 star from Maine.

Seriously, I hope he signs and turns out to be another Dave Winfield or Khalid El-Amin, two natives of the Gopher State who were great college hoops players.

Kerwin Walton, 3 star from that well-known hoops hotbed of Minnesota. Oh well, looking at the bright side, could've been a 2 star from Maine.

Seriously, I hope he signs and turns out to be another Dave Winfield or Khalid El-Amin, two natives of the Gopher State who were great college hoops players.

I think anyone who signs with Miami right now will make you feel better. I know where you are coming from.

Santiago Vescovi, PG, Uruguay:
If Vescovi was in the States, he would easily be considered one of the top domestic point guard prospects in the 2020 class. He has good size and length and sneaky athleticism to go with tremendous ball skills and passing ability. Vescovi can get in the lane and finish at the rim or use his vision to find open teammates. Due to his physical tools, feel and motor, Vescovi is also a very good on ball defender. It was another impressive week in what has been a big year for the Uruguay product.

Advertisement

It may not be on the level of a Georgia or a Pennsylvania, but Minnesota has turned into a pretty solid state for talent the past five years or so, ever since the Tyus Jones/Reid Travis/Rashad Vaughn class (2014). Can probably thank the KG-era Timberwolves for some of that. That D1 Minnesota team that Walton is on has been one of the best programs in the country over the past couple of years. Minnesota is on pace to produce a 5 star prospect every year from 2018-2021 (Tre Jones, Michael Hurt, Jalen Suggs, and Chet Holmgren), with multiple top 100 type prospects beyond them each year.

Anyways, with Walton, he'd be a solid complementary piece if he were to come here, and his recruitment is pretty open at this stage. I've heard Minnesota, Creighton, and Purdue connected with him the most (with Creighton probably the leader), but that was before this week. He's a good 3-and-D type of wing, but a bit on the smaller side, and he has to round out the remainder of the game. He'd be a good replacement for Vasiljevic.

Glad to hear we (HC and others) are attending these heats where some desirable recruits are performing; they do seem busy! Wish for once we would get some great news, a primo signing. Tired of reading about other schools getting their guy. GO Canes!

Advertisement
Yeah, do the Miami coach(es) in attendance have a "Kick Me" sign on their backs or something? You'd think, especially with the kids from Spanish-speaking families/regions, we'd be the front-runners.

Last edited:
Yeah, do the Miami coach(es) in attendance have a "Kick Me" sign on their backs or something? You'd thing, especially with the kids from Spanish-speaking families/regions, we'd be the front-runners.

I agree 100%. That highlights a problem of not being connected with the city you coach in. I would think along with in-state kids, Miami would have a player of Latino decent on the team given the Lation population of Miami.

Maybe I am thinking too much about the marketing aspect but that along with a failure to play in-state schools is part of the reason why attendance at home games are so low. It is hard to sellout an 8K seat arena when there are only 1500 students on campus. The other 6500 people have to come from somewhere.

Who leads for Deivon Smith?

Deivon Smith told Rivals.com this weekend that he really does not have a leader at the moment. He has been a busy man in recent months, whether it has been competing at the various high school and national camps, or playing with the Atlanta Celtics on the adidas circuit. Once his summer completes later this month, then I expect for him to give a greater look into his recruitment.

A cut list will first be made before taking his official visits. Not many have recruited him with a greater priority than Miami as Jim Larranaga was at number of his games in Alabama. However, Alabama, Georgia, Georgia Tech, Louisville, Oregon and Xavier are just a few others that could receive a visit from him. I do like the spot that Alabama and Oregon are in and much could come down to whether the distance from his Atlanta locale plays into his college choice.

Advertisement
Back