2020 Recruiting.

Advertisement

That is good news but Miami needs to close the deal. If anyone has a subscription to Canesport, please post the complete article.
I have a subscription but can't post it this minute. Read it this morning and the gist of the article is that he is speaking to the coaches 3 times a week and that they are making it clear that he is wanted in Miami. It is close(r) to puerto rico than other options. All of the schools are pretty close but it seems we are putting a good foot forward.

I have a subscription but can't post it this minute. Read it this morning and the gist of the article is that he is speaking to the coaches 3 times a week and that they are making it clear that he is wanted in Miami. It is close(r) to puerto rico than other options. All of the schools are pretty close but it seems we are putting a good foot forward.

Thank you. Hotshot and I were talking about why Miami does not recruit more kids of Latino decent (forgive me if I misused the term) given the huge Spanish culture, population and influence it has on the City of Miami. It is not like the kid cannot play. He can ball.

Sounds like Miami has its PG for the 2020 recruiting class.

Last edited:
Lance Ware from Camden, NJ. When I hear Camden, I always think of HS hoops legend DaJuan Wagner. Averaged over 40 ppg in his HS career (once scoring 100 points in a HS game), went to Memphis where he averaged 21 pg before going pro. Unfortunately, Ulcerative Colitis cut his career short.

Advertisement
Lance Ware from Camden, NJ. When I hear Camden, I always think of HS hoops legend DaJuan Wagner. Averaged over 40 ppg in his HS career (once scoring 100 points in a HS game), went to Memphis where he averaged 21 pg before going pro. Unfortunately, Ulcerative Colitis cut his career short.

You are 100% right. His son will actually be a freshman at Camden HS this year playing with Lance Ware. I hope that does not make you feel old!

2. CROSS READY FOR MORE

A top-80 prospect in the 2020 class that has become a national target, Matt Cross has never been a giant proponent of the recruiting process and all of the attention that comes along with it.

Having taken official visits already to Butler, Indiana, Miami and South Carolina, Cross told Rivals.com last month that he might be ready to make his college decision once his travel season completed. That will not be the case. Instead, Cross will take two more official visits in the coming weeks.

Florida and Texas A&M were not viewed as legitimate contenders for Cross in recent weeks. However, both Mike White and Buzz Williams was present at a number of his games last week in Augusta and thanks to their increased attention, the Gators and Aggies will receive official visits from the standout forward

On July 22, Cross will visit Florida and will follow with a trip to College Station, though a date is still being worked out. The feeling surrounding Cross is that Indiana and Miami might be out in front but visits to the two SEC programs could change things. Regardless, look for Cross to finish out his visit tour this month with a decision likely to be made shortly thereafter.

3. JULY’S TOP BREAKOUT

While we expected interest in Kerwin Walton’s recruitment to increase following his performance in Alabama, no one saw this coming. Now, some of the nation’s best programs have entered the picture for the three-star prospect.

A 6-foot-5 small forward from Minnesota, Walton was originally in the Rivals150 until the most recent update. He might be the first to tell you that he didn’t have the greatest of springs, but that quickly changed during the lone travel live period last week.

On Saturday morning and in front of a throng of college coaches, Walton hit 10 3-pointers and then followed it up just hours later with five more. Shot-makers remain of great value and seeing that Walton boasts added size on the perimeter and it is rather easy to see why he has intrigued so many power conference coaching staffs in recent days.

Before his breakout performance, the five programs most involved within his recruitment were Baylor, Creighton, Kansas State, Minnesota and Purdue. Things have changed immensely after offers from Arizona, Cincinnati, Iowa, Iowa State, Kansas, Miami, Vanderbilt and West Virginia have come in. The expectations are now that Walton will play things out for another few weeks and see who might else enter the fray. From there, a cut list will be made and visits taken this fall.

Advertisement
Last edited:
Advertisement
So it looks like they’ve mailed it in for adding any more transfers, grad transfers or even 2019 recruits. There is no shortage of offers going out to 2020 preps but silence when it comes to filling out the rest of the roster for 2019.

So it looks like they’ve mailed it in for adding any more transfers, grad transfers or even 2019 recruits. There is no shortage of offers going out to 2020 preps but silence when it comes to filling out the rest of the roster for 2019.

Sounds about right. It is sad that they won't fill the class and take some depth at this point. Find some Joe Thomas types, some low risk players that MIGHT be able to contribute something.

Advertisement

Guard: 2020 Andre Curbelo, NY Jayhawks - Curbelo is a crafty guard who finds all of the right angles to blow by his opponents and finish around bigger defenders. Playing alongside 2020, Zed Key, allows Curbelo to really show his ability to execute the pick-and-roll at an extremely high level. The Puerto Rico native was an important piece to the success of the NY Jayhawks this weekend and showed he has an elite feel for the game, consistently making the right decisions and limiting lazy turnovers. His playmaking ability ranks in the top 15 of his class, which goes well alongside his feel and IQ of the game. His soft shooting touch allowed him to hit a variety of floaters in all of his matchups and despite being a little undersized he can find his way to the rim against nearly every defender.

2020 PG Andre Curbelo - NY Jayhawks (NY)

Curbelo could be put in either category for this one. He has had himself a stock rising type of grassroots season and was one of the top performers throughout the Adidas Gauntlet. He is one of the top playmaking point guards in the country and proved that once again this weekend in Southern Cal. Curbelo plays his own game at his position. He holds great passing instincts, extremely fundamental, and is always able to make his way inside an opponents defense. His play led the NY Jayhawks to the semifinal round in Ladera Ranch.

RADAR ALERT

rxnuhyzo1anxu6vokxly

DEVIN
CARTER

6'3" | 175 LBS | SG
DORAL ACADEMY
MIAMI, FL
CLASS OF 2020

Why him?: If college coaches had been able to watch over the weekend, I have no doubt that Carter's recruitment would have picked up some serious steam. A skilled and confident scorer whose father played in the NBA, Carter needs to on the radar of more programs in need of a guy who can go out and get his own bucket.

Recruitment: Offers from Florida Atlantic, Florida International, Georgia Tech, Richmond, and VCU.

THE SPEED MERCHANT

znxmm58jepqy4nogutma

NATIONAL
STATE
POSITION
DEIVON
SMITH

6'0" | 165 LBS | PG
GRAYSON
LOGANVILLE, GA
CLASS OF 2020
UNDECIDED

Why him?: There were plenty of quick guards at the Gauntlet Finale. I saw some that I would even consider fast. But when it comes to true speed merchants, nobody is touching Smith, who is a true burner on the hardwood. His speed can get him in trouble sometimes, but it gets him out of a lot more and the Atlanta Celtics backcourt trio of him, Xavier bound Dwon Odom and fast-rising Caleb Murhpy is as athletic as any in the country.

Recruitment: Alabama, Arkansas, Clemson, Florida, Florida State, Georgia, Georgia Tech, Louisville, N.C. State, Texas A&M and more are involved.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back