2019 Manny Diaz - State your Stance

Corch. Seen this movie before. When the gimmicks and slogans are bigger than the W it's over before it started. For every Dabo, Meyer, Saban there's 20 Goldens, Shannons and Diazs..

I'd rather see some BOT members and Flake James removed before we make another hire though, until then Diaz can stay as long as he wants as it won't make a lick of difference with them in charge.

Advertisement
I’m with him...I mean, it’s been two **** games. I’m not going with moral victories, but there’s been some positives.

I think he turns it around! Just gonna take a bit of time and chemistry from the team and the coaches

Advertisement
My stance is he's the coach. Just like every coach before him he gets a grace period of 2-3 years to install himself (philosophies, culture, game plan) and get his own recruits into college football shape and starting positions. After that he goes on probation for the same amount of time and there needs to be measurable improvements with Miami being positioned into contention discussions as far as conference and the national title year-after-year. THEN we can talk about the coaches employment.

My stance on all these whiny ******* hollering about firing this coach after 2 quality opponent losses is that they should find another team that is already built to make a run on the CFPCG, stock up on memorabilia and go cheer them on. Sour grapes are showing your asses online and subverting our teams ability to recruit. I'm Darrell Washington and I came on this message board or social media seeing all these know-nothing horses-asses calling for the coach and his staff that are recruiting me to be fired for an 0-2 start, I'm packing my **** up and going to Georgia.

My stance is he's the coach. Just like every coach before him he gets a grace period of 2-3 years to install himself (philosophies, culture, game plan) and get his own recruits into college football shape and starting positions. After that there needs to be measurable improvements with Miami being positioned into contention discussions as far as conference and the national title.

My stance on all these whiny ******* hollering about firing this coach after 2 quality opponent losses is that they should find another team that is already built to make a run on the CFPCG, stock up on memorabilia and go cheer them on. Sour grapes are showing your asses online and subverting our teams ability to recruit. I'm Darrell Washington and I came on this message board or social media seeing all these know-nothing horses-asses calling for the coach and his staff that are recruiting me to be fired for an 0-2 start, I'm packing my **** up and going to Georgia.

Been here 3 years and retained Banda and promoted Patke. If he was serious about winning at Miami those guys wouldn't be here.

A disappointing start to the season and concerns with a few on staff but I am still in on Manny for the long term. Young squad with a new and fairly young staff meant some bumps early. If they can get some basic things cleaned up and continue to improve I do like the potential, this team is build for 2020

Advertisement
I’ve cooled on him. Was very hyped about him thinking he could bring that same defensive energy to the offense.. but instead he thought just making some TD rings would do it... LAME.

We’re 0-2... we could be 2-0...

We could still end up with 10 wins and a bowl win?

I fully expect 9-10 wins. VERY favorable schedule to close up the season

Jump forward to 2021 and we're pulling receipts. Where do you stand on Manny Diaz, do you think he is the right guy to bring us back to being consistently relevant or not.

I do. If I'm wrong in 2 years, come grab this post and throw it in my face.

The receipe is easy on paper.. surround yourself with a great staff. But he is basically a no name, no resume what top coordinators or position coaches want to come here and work with him? Is a catch 22

I’ll go on record and say I support him until further notice. I, like many others in this thread, are disgusted by our 0-2 start, but it’s far too early to jump to conclusions. I think we’ll continue to improve and the wins will follow.

There are posters I really respect like @OriginalGatorHater who seem to think he’s a corch, and I can’t really say much to counter their points. On the other hand, while I know it may come across as lame and homerish, I just having a feeling that Diaz will turn this around. He may have to fire some dudes to do it, though.

Jump forward to 2021 and we're pulling receipts. Where do you stand on Manny Diaz, do you think he is the right guy to bring us back to being consistently relevant or not.

I do. If I'm wrong in 2 years, come grab this post and throw it in my face.

Put it this way—I think Manny Diaz is Miami's only viable option here and now in 2019 and believe he has the DNA to get it done.

How fast he can get things going; I have no idea, but two years from now (early 2021 season) isn't going to have this program where an entitled fan base wants it. Not after 15 seasons of mediocrity. Look how long it took Dabo to build a winner in Clemson; their fans were trying to run him off after year 4.5—despite him winning the division three times and the conference once. (Lost 77-33 to West Virginia in the Orange Bowl that season.)

I also think this job is nowhere near as enticing nationally as our fan base thinks it is—and I know that a fifth different head coach in 14 is **** for a program's continuity, so our fans better hope he's the guy—instead of some of these moronic, "Back up the Brinks Trunk or Urban Meyer and do whatever it takes to get him here—but we won't, because this program has no balls." (News flash; if / when Meyer comes back—he will have bigger, better options than 'The U'. He will go to a football factory where academic standards are non-existent.)

Most college coaches are drawn to the sport at this level because they love small college town atmospheres for the wife and kids—as well as the pageantry, the undying fan support, the packed stadiums on game day. Miami is an event town and a pro sports city. Nothing about the experience is collegiate or enticing for a coach and his family—which is why UM has generally attracted climbers who saw it as a stepping stone to the NFL; not lifers who have a long-term plan.

Look at every coach Miami hired in the modern era (1979-2019)—outside of Richt, every guy was an up-and-comer and not a known name. Richt was an alum and South Florida native who came back home to give it a whirl at his alma mater and three years in, punted rather than dig in for the fight.

Schnellenberger was the Dolphins' offensive coordinator. JJ was an Oklahoma State head coach, barely above .500 (29-25) and never beating the likes of Oklahoma or Nebraska. Dennis Erickson had Idaho, Wyoming and Washington State on his head coaching resume before heading south. Butch was a third-choice defensive assistant of JJ's in Dallas who came back to Miami because he enjoyed his time as a defensive assistant at UM in the eighties.

Coker was a substitute teacher promoted from within and asked not to ***** thing up. Shannon was a low-rent hire when the program had a massive PR image problem (re: FIU brawl, Pata murder) when no one else wanted in—and so in over his head, never saw a position better than linebackers coach until UCF in 2018 (I'm not counting that trumped up title at UF; linebacker coach, but also co-DC and assistant head coach because McElwain needed him to help recruit in-state.) Golden was another up-and-comer because of marginal success at Temple; picked over names like Randy Edsall and Marc Trestman.

The same way Diaz talks about this program needing "Miami type guys" to get on board to play for this program; the Canes also need a "Miami type guy" to dig in for the job of putting it back on the map.

Diaz is the closest thing to Davis in that sense; Butch coming along when things weren't riding high—but having spent five years in Coral Gables during the glory days, understood the expectation and the blueprint for success. He had some massive growing pains early and wasn't a good game day manager—but navigated Miami through the probation years, recruiting like a beast and putting together a beast of a team; albeit two decades ago when there was less parity in the sport.

Wrapping this rant; I buy into Manny's vision for what it takes to rebuild this thing, I buy into his work ethic and I believe he has the head to be the CEO of this program—making Miami look better than it has under any previous coach since Davis left. I think it takes a guy like him to dig in a do this—and don't think a lot of guys like him have the heart, stomach or grit to rebuild this thing from the ground up, as things have gone completely off the rails the last 15 years.

What I don't know is how long it's going to take, or where things will be in two years.

I won't call for this team to win out ... but I wouldn't be shocked if it did, based on the schedule. I think 9-3 is more realistic at this rate—but things set up well with Bethune, C. Michigan and a bye before Virginia Tech on the 5th. Virginia and Georgia Tech at home, as well.

At Pittsburgh and at Florida State aren't going to be as daunting as Chapel Hill the second week of the season; primetime, sold out game, Louisville at home, FIU up the street and at Duke to close the year.

I think we'll see noticeable improvement as this season goes on and believe these kids will grow from two close losses.

Others are going to hammer 0-2. So be it. Everyone is tired of losing and if that's where they want to focus, that's on them.

I see improvement and a team that didn't quit the past two weeks; which isn't something I could say for this program the past 15 years. I also see a quarterback who is capable of greatness, running backs who get after it and one of the premier tight ends in the country—which negates the resentment the defense had against the offense the past few years, which is going to help tremendously this season.

This thing is already on a better track than most want to admit—but I also understand people not being able to find any good after an 0-2 start and losing to two hated teams, as this drought has been long and painful.

Advertisement
I think we’ll be a perennial (good) 10 win team under Diaz.

I’m concerned about recruiting which is the difference between being good every year and championship level.

All depends on what he does with his staff. Never going to win big with Banda, Patke, and Rumph. All 3 have shown to be terrible at closing on recruits. Rumph did well with guys that he didn't recruit. But is now getting exposed by his lack of recruiting when he doesn't have Golden's guys. Our 3 senior linebackers have all regressed since Sophomore year and again recruiting has been beyond terrible at linebacker. Banda can't close on the big fish and apparently can't coach up Gurvan Hall who by all accounts was an absolute stud coming out of high school. Imagine how good he would be if he went to Bama or Clemson and got real coaching.... Plus i'm not sold on Stroud, Stubblefield, Barry, Field, or Baker's resume's. But willing to give them time to see what they can do.

There are two ways to win at Miami. You have to recruit like crazy and bring in the so fla studs (Maybe Field is a good recruiter but that's it) or you have to be amazing at coaching and good at hitting on the "gems". Most of our 3 star guys we have brought in have played like 3 star guys. Wiggins can't catch, Knowles is garb, Carter can't play in space or stay on the field, Jennings can't stay healthy, Smith Transferred, Njoku's a jag and can't catch, Hillery can't get PT with Freshman passing him, Dykstra is garbage, Polendey is garbage, Steed cant stay healthy, and Burns can't stay healthy. That's all one class that should be piquing at this time. Yet as Dmoney always points out there are sofla 3 star guys all over the country making big impacts.

And besides Duke Johnson when was the last time we had a "5 star" guy play like a 5 star guy? Pope can't comprehend the playbook apparently, Lingard we will see, Chad ended up being a serviceable starter but he ended up being taken in the 3rd round for a reason. Tracy never lived up to his 5 star status. Ray Ray Armstrong never made an impact here, Seantrel was above avg, etc.

So basically if Manny gets support from the administration which it seemed he had since by all accounts they gave big money to Enos, then he has a shot if he also has the balls to fire "his guys". If he pulls a Richt or a Golden and refuses to upgrade his staff and fire his buddies then we will be in the same vicious cycle we have been in.

Advertisement
I think its a mistake to view this simply in terms of two games. He was a coach here under Richt and should bear some of the responsibility for some of the mess that we have now. I havent seen anything that makes me think that this will be any different than when Randy was coach and Randy was a better recruiter. I hope I am wrong and will support the team no matter what.

I’ll go on record and say I support him until further notice. I, like many others in this thread, are disgusted by our 0-2 start, but it’s far too early to jump to conclusions. I think we’ll continue to improve and the wins will follow.

There are posters I really respect like @OriginalGatorHater who seem to think he’s a corch, and I can’t really say much to counter their points. On the other hand, while I know it may come across as lame and homerish, I just having a feeling that Diaz will turn this around. He may have to fire some dudes to do it, though.

I hope you are right brother. I would love to be eating crow on this one.

Losing to a team that we beat 47-10 last year is the sign of a coRch. I have no faith in Mannys ability as a Head Coach until I see otherwise. I also don’t trust Dan Enos’s ability as a play caller and I think Bakers containment philosophy and play calling is trash.

With that said GO CANES!

Advertisement
Back