2019-20 Transfer Portal (NCAA Basketball)

Advertisement
This is a good pickup for 2021, the team should look really good as long as most of our guys don't declare. We just need to bring in a freshman big this year or a transfer big that can sit one play two.

Other than Gueye, who I've ragged on quite a bit, there are no more transfer bigs. They're gonna have to talk somebody into reclassifying, and then likely taking a redshirt.

Let me say, I'm happy with the move. We needed a guy who will be a senior for the 21-22 season, and big wings are the type of player you can seemingly never have enough of.

That said, this guy turns the ball over a ton, doesn't shoot a very high percentage, and is a just ok 3 point shooter. He won't be a star here, and he'll probably be pretty frustrating to watch at times. I'm glad he balances the classes, but temper your expectations.

Let me say, I'm happy with the move. We needed a guy who will be a senior for the 21-22 season, and big wings are the type of player you can seemingly never have enough of.

That said, this guy turns the ball over a ton, doesn't shoot a very high percentage, and is a just ok 3 point shooter. He won't be a star here, and he'll probably be pretty frustrating to watch at times. I'm glad he balances the classes, but temper your expectations.
Some of the same was said of Jack McLinton when we got him from Siena. Hope this kid turns out to approach Jack's play here. 18 ppg in any league ain't nothing to sneeze at.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Here are the five ways I look at the commitment of Elijah Olaniyi.

1. 12 scholarship players for the first time in seven years. A positive step.

2. He is insurance in case Earl is better than expected and turns pro after one season at Miami.

3. If Earl stays for the 2021-22 season, Elijah would be a very impactful bench player along with Matt Cross.

4. With the last remaining scholarship, Miami needs a 2021 big to reclassify to the 2020 recruiting class. That would give Miami 8 returning players for the 2021-22 season. Add in possibly 5 freshmen and Miami is in a position to reach and win games in the NCAA tournament in back to back seasons.

5. On paper, Miami will have 2 seniors (Deng and Elijah)on the 2021-22 roster but Wong, Timberlake, Beverly or Walker could turn pro so our roster will be changing.

Dude your schtick is tired. These threads are literally pages and pages of you talking to yourself, posting meaningless tweets/complaining about players who choose one of the other ~350 division 1 basketball programs in America, and recycling the same conspiracy theory about Larranaga not playing underclassman.

First of all, Wong and Beverly, both freshman, averaged 20 minutes per game last season. If that doesn't prove that the staff is committed to playing freshman, I don't know what will. Heck, Shane Larkin started as a freshman on a team that made the Sweet 16. Miller and Waardenburg only played starters' minutes this past year because Gak is made of glass and Stone was out until December and missed most of training camp. We had 3 actual bigs last year and two of them (Sam and Stone) might as well be shooting guards. If you want to call Coach L out for crappy roster construction, that is completely warranted, but it's not like Anthony Walker (who didn't even start for his prep team) was some magic bullet.

The notion that anyone wants an upgrade over Brooks is lunacy. He hasn't played a minute of basketball in a Miami uniform! It's not like this guy is going to come in and average 20 and 10 coming off a redshirt year, but he's also someone who's an upgrade over every other big on the roster. Fact is, he was the starting center on a good Cincinnati team last year and I definitely think he'll be one of the better bigs in the conference this year.

Beyond that, I trust that Gak (assuming he's healthy) and Cross will play over Miller by the time conference play starts, and Walker will absolutely be in the rotation. If they don't, you can come back gloating and I'll be the first to tell you that you were right all along. But if you knew anything about basketball (I question this quite often), you would also realize that Sam playing next to Brooks and a wing like McGusty/Timberlake allows him to do what he does best - shoot. Do I think he's softer than baby sh*t, 100%, but you need three point shooting in your lineup and he provides it with DJ graduating.
Eat **** dude

Here are the five ways I look at the commitment of Elijah Olaniyi.

1. 12 scholarship players for the first time in seven years. A positive step.

2. He is insurance in case Earl is better than expected and turns pro after one season at Miami.

3. If Earl stays for the 2021-22 season, Elijah would be a very impactful bench player along with Matt Cross.

4. With the last remaining scholarship, Miami needs a 2021 big to reclassify to the 2020 recruiting class. That would give Miami 8 returning players for the 2021-22 season. Add in possibly 5 freshmen and Miami is in a position to reach and win games in the NCAA tournament in back to back seasons.

5. On paper, Miami will have 2 seniors (Deng and Elijah)on the 2021-22 roster but Wong, Timberlake, Beverly or Walker could turn pro so our roster will be changing.
As good as I think Earl will be for us, I don't see him as a "one and done" player.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back