2019-20 Transfer Portal (NCAA Basketball)

Advertisement

This is the guy. Two years left with immediate eligibility, is experienced enough to come in and be a rotational big. How do we get Miami to go all in on this guy?

He'd fit almost perfectly in that he's a rim protecting big with eligibility for the 2021-22 season. Would mean we'd have 4 true centers on the roster next year though, so somebody's gonna be mad. I don't think Jim's willing to kick Rodney to the curb, although the thought of it has to be tempting.

It also sounds like there's going to be plenty of competition for this guy, so it probably won't matter anyway.

Last edited:
He'd fit almost perfectly in that he's a rim protecting big with eligibility for the 2021-22 season. Would mean we'd have 4 true centers on the roster next year though, so somebody's gonna be mad. I don't think Jim's willing to kick Rodney to the curb, although the thought of it has to be tempting.

It also sounds like there's going to be plenty of competition for this guy, so it probably won't matter anyway.

I feel like Gak is a PF anyways, would love to get this guy to take Rodney's minutes.

Not sure L has the energy to put the full court press on this kid. But there is no question he is a perfect fit. He stood out to me every time I watched them play

Legit 7 footer with a 7' 8" wingspan who was a 4* recruit in high school. Sit one play two. He hardly ever played his first 2 years, but the physical upside is intriguing. He's also left handed, which is always advantageous for basketball players.

Of course, the downside is that he might be another Rodney who simply can't play, and was only a high recruit because of his size in the first place. Might be a decent fall back option if we can't convince another big to come here.

Last edited:
Advertisement

Legit 7 footer with a 7' 8" wingspan who was a 4* recruit in high school. Sit one play two. He hardly ever played his first 2 years, but the physical upside is intriguing. He's also left handed, which is always advantageous for basketball players.

Of course, the downside is that he might be another Rodney who simply can't play, and was only a high recruit because of his size in the first place. Might be a decent fall back option if we can't convince another big to come here.

If Mac Etienne does not reclassify and commit to Miami then he may be an option.
I think at this point, the priority is a reclassified big with the last scholarship.

CODE RED CODE RED

Sophomore PF CJ Walker looking to transfer from Oregon, wants to "come back home". We were in his initial top 5 along with UF. He wasn't exactly a stud last year with Oregon but we should definitely take him to fill a scholarship. I doubt he gets a waiver but he should be able to help next year.

edit: Just looked at UF's projected roster next year and they add three forwards around Walker's size this coming season, it seems like Miami is the no brainer here. The only player we have that's similar to Walker is our own Anthony Walker, but having them both would be great.

Last edited:

CODE RED CODE RED

Sophomore PF CJ Walker looking to transfer from Oregon, wants to "come back home". We were in his initial top 5 along with UF. He wasn't exactly a stud last year with Oregon but we should definitely take him to fill a scholarship. I doubt he gets a waiver but he should be able to help next year.

He would 100% get a waiver.

Advertisement
I'm getting irrationally hype right now because I think he's the type of high caliber player we need to compete in the tourney next year and it looks like Miami is the favorable destination.

This will be unpopular but it is just my opinion.
Last year, CJ Walker was definitely a no-brainer. Two months ago, before Elijah Olaniji committed to Miami, it was a no-brainer. Today, my friends, we really need to think about this.
Again, this is just my opinion and no one is right or wrong as we are just discussing this.
With only one scholarship left (that we know of), I would still prefer Miami use that one scholarship on a big. IMO, the priority is either Mac Etienne or Efton Reid. We are still waiting to get confirmation on their reclassification and commitment, which could be another month.
The question is do you wait another month or pull the trigger on Walker now?
My vote is to wait. Remember, even if you add CJ Walker this season, Deng Gak will be the only big (6'10 or taller) on the roster with experience next season.
I know, quite a dilemma.
This is just my opinion and I look forward to reading your responses.

CODE RED CODE RED

edit: Just looked at UF's projected roster next year and they add three forwards around Walker's size this coming season, it seems like Miami is the no brainer here. The only player we have that's similar to Walker is our own Anthony Walker, but having them both would be great.

First things first, great job on the post.

Given that he is from Sanford, FL so UF makes sense but they are out of scholarships so they are eliminated.
UCF would be closest to home but I have doubts about him committing to UCF. He could but I would be shocked.
The school to watch is FSU as they have two scholarships left. They are on the final list of a reclass kid also so they could easily take both. We know Coach Hamilton uses all of his scholarships so don't be surprised if this is the way he goes.

Last edited:
Advertisement
This will be unpopular but it is just my opinion.
Last year, CJ Walker was definitely a no-brainer. Two months ago, before Elijah Olaniji committed to Miami, it was a no-brainer. Today, my friends, we really need to think about this.
Again, this is just my opinion and no one is right or wrong as we are just discussing this.
With only one scholarship left (that we know of), I would still prefer Miami use that one scholarship on a big. IMO, the priority is either Mac Etienne or Efton Reid. We are still waiting to get confirmation on their reclassification and commitment, which could be another month.
The question is do you wait another month or pull the trigger on Walker now?
My vote is to wait. Remember, even if you add CJ Walker this season, Deng Gak will be the only big (6'10 or taller) on the roster with experience next season.
I know, quite a dilemma.
This is just my opinion and I look forward to reading your responses.

My solution would probably be to keep Etienne in the class of 2021 and get a commitment from him, he would still be the same age, just without the college experience that he would have if he reclassified. That way you bring on CJ who is a must imo, and then you aggressively look for a grad transfer big to fill the spots left by Brooks/Miller. I would much rather have CJ now and Etienne next year than Etienne now and no CJ.

F4BA9CF8-7A65-40D5-A2A9-FAA86CBE9718.jpeg

This is a little interaction I had with current UF freshman Tre Mann on IG. I blocked out my name for privacy reasons but this effectively might mean UF isn’t in the race. I really hope we get him.

We obviously need a true center in this class, but... we're kinda out of options at this point. If they think they have a legit shot at getting Mac to not only reclassify, but to commit, then fine, take him over Walker. I really don't see any other possibilities at the 5 right now though, so unless they're confident about getting Mac in, I think they have to go after Walker.

Worst case, we'll play small ball next year. Between Gak, the two Walkers, Cross, Timberlake, + whatever grad transfer and/or freshman big we inevitably pull, it'll be fine. You also have to consider the fact that ordinary transfers might not have to sit by then.

Last edited:
Advertisement

RECLASSIFICATION FOR THE BIGS

Two others that could make the leap into the 2020 class are

Efton Reid and Franck Kepnang
but it appears as if they will both remain in the 2021 class. Kepnang announced his decision earlier in the week and I expect for Reid to do the same in the coming days.
We will see if Mac Etienne decides to remain or makes the leap into college later this summer.
The pandemic impact should not be discounted, here. The inability for prospects to take visits could push a few of them back into the high school ranks.

Ok. There it is. So instead of waiting a month, we may know if Efton or Mac will reclassify to 2020 or stay in the 2021 class in a week or two.
I don't think CJ will pick a school in the next week so it should work out good for Miami.
Remember, Miami technically has 5 scholarships available for the 2021 class so it is possible to get both Efton and Mac in the 2021 class and CJ with the last scholarship for this season.
CJ will probably get the waiver to play this season since his transfer is due to COVID-19.
This has already been done by Johnny Juzang when he left Kentucky after the season to go back to SoCal and play for UCLA.
Of course, Miami has to submit the paperwork.

I am salivating imagining Walker throwing down crazy dunks at Watsco for the next couple of years. He got his chin on the rim, that's incredible. That would put him as probably a top 5% athlete in the NBA, probably top 0.1% athlete in the NCAA.

Take CJ Walker with the last scholarship.

It looks unlikely that Reid or Etienne will reclassify as they have both transferred to new high schools.

More information in the 2021 recruiting class thread.

Also I think UCF may be a player here considering he wants to close to his hometown and UCF is a 20 min car ride away vs the 4 hr drive from Coral Gables. Miami is still much closer than Oregon, but UCF is a school to watch in this recruitment.

Advertisement
Back