2019-20 Transfer Portal (NCAA Basketball)

Far more upset about the fact that him committing to UCF likely means we aren't using all 13 scholarships again. Walker oozes potential, but considering how much of a non-factor he was at Oregon, the floor is pretty low.

If we could somehow find a legit center for the 13th spot, I'd forget about Walker completely. Since there's basically no chance that's gonna happen, yeah, I'm a little mad.
This is my rational. Once again L and staff have taken the lazy route and are not using all available spots. Which I’m not trying to sound like a broken record, but it is mind boggling to me

Advertisement
His decision was far bigger than basketball. If it was strictly a basketball decision then I may feel some type of way. However, he said from the beginning that he wanted to be close to home due to an ailing family member.

Let's put it in this perspective. If you had an ailing family member, would you rather be 35 minutes away or 4 hours away?

Just to clarify, this is not a personal attack at you or anyone else. I cannot be mad at CJ for his decision because if I was in his situation, I would have done the same thing.

Anyone who thinks differently has some issues with their morals and values.
Still hard to assess top Florida High School talent. Some are immediately as advertised when they hit the college ranks, others take a few years (or just never blossom). You could say that about most states but I hope one day Florida can take its place in hoops among the elite recruiting hotbeds. State has come a long way but not there yet.

Still hard to assess top Florida High School talent. Some are immediately as advertised when they hit the college ranks, others take a few years (or just never blossom). You could say that about most states but I hope one day Florida can take its place in hoops among the elite recruiting hotbeds. State has come a long way but not there yet.

In fairness, I have been leading the bus on Miami not using all 13 scholarships but I am actually comfortable with the 12 currently on the roster. The coaches made valid attempts on about 10 targets (some transfers and some reclassified players). Miami got 1 player as they have 11 guys returning. Could Miami pursue a grad transfer to fill the last scholarship for this season? Yes but let's be honest, there is not a lot of playing time available for him where ever the scholarship is used. I am excited about the 12 currently on our roster as it greatly exceeds the talent of the 11 players Miami has had on the roster for the last two seasons. Of course, the 12 is more of a hard 10 as Elijah is sitting out and we all hope Deng Gak can play atleast 5 minutes in every game this season. Gak is the 3rd guy rotating between the 4 and the 5 spot though. We all just want him to make it through the season.

South Florida basketball talent has taken off the last two years as the 305 has had two 5 star players and Wesley Cardet could be a 5 star player this season but that is no guarantee. There will be more to come as the 2022 and 2023 recruiting classes in the 305 are very talented. The coaches are deeply rooted in the DMV and northward for talent. Those areas have a bigger pool of talent so if they miss on their first or second option, they can still get a good player. The question is, where do they put the kids from the 305 on the priority list.

If you go to the 2021 recruiting class thread and compile a list of all of the players with a Miami offer, how do you rank them in priority? That is how I think coaches approach recruiting. You have a 1A, 1B and so on. We have no idea of who and how they rank their recruiting board. I would guess Trevor Keels is 1A but I have no way of knowing that. If he is then who is 1B and so on. Also, we don't know all of the factors the coaches us in offering a scholarship nor who gets a call or virtual visit.

For example, Wesley Cardet is a 6'6 combo guard who has really played well in the last month. PG is a position of limited depth from what I have read in 2021. I would think Wesley would be a bigger priority since he could be your PG if you don't get a PG or he could be your wing if you do get a PG. Again, we don't know who the coaches have prioritized so it is hard to say. I think Miami has 5 offers for PGs and about 10 offers for wings and that number is growing.

We all would like to see someone commit to Miami to get an idea of what the 2021 recruiting class will look like but that first commitment may be a while away. I wish I could tell you something differently.

This is my rational. Once again L and staff have taken the lazy route and are not using all available spots. Which I’m not trying to sound like a broken record, but it is mind boggling to me

Its especially bad this year since we have 5 seniors, but only 7 guys that will be around next year. It makes too much sense not to take another sit out transfer, and there were plenty of options. Something tells me they let perfect be the enemy of good.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Dude entered the portal in October? I'd take him, but it seems a little suspect. I can also only assume this is an indictment of Anthony Walker's progress or lack thereof.

Advertisement
Ivy League - at the top (teams, and individual players) - is way underrated. Everything says to me Paul can play well in the ACC. One report listed his hometown as Miami, another as WPB??

Advertisement
@hotshot

Sounds like Miami is the favorite to land his services. I could not imagine Miami not offering him a scholarship when you consider how much Coach L loves transfers and it seems like Miami is interested in every transfer.

A totally competent (unlike Sam), physically capable (unlike Rodney) big man? Yes, please. He and Brooks would give us some things we never had last season when it comes to competitive post defense and rebounding. It wouldn't replace the need to sign a high school big too though bc Brooks, Miller, Waardenburg, and Atkinson would all be gone after this season.

A totally competent (unlike Sam), physically capable (unlike Rodney) big man? Yes, please. He and Brooks would give us some things we never had last season when it comes to competitive post defense and rebounding. It wouldn't replace the need to sign a high school big too though bc Brooks, Miller, Waardenburg, and Atkinson would all be gone after this season.

Just to clarify, Paul Atkinson will not transfer until after this season. That would be the 2021-22 season.
That would give Miami Anthony Walker, Deng Gak, two high school bigs and Paul Atkinson when he commits.
That would be a very good group especially if Mac Etienne is one of those high school bigs. That would allow Rafael Castro to redshirt if Deng Gal is healthy.

Isn’t this season not counting toward eligibility? I know I saw the other day it was being passed for basketball as well. Anyone know if that’s just rumors or confirmed?

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back