12-Team College Football Playoff?

Looks like a done deal. If the playoff field is 12 teams, I don't think it's unreasonable to say Miami is playoff caliber.

This is absolutely massive for recruiting btw. A kid does not have to go to bama or Clemson anymore to have a realistic chance of making the playoffs.

U know what’s sad:

If there was a 12 team playoff last season, we wouldn’t have made it. As a matter of fact, outside of 2017, we wouldn’t have made the playoffs since 2004 even w/ an expanded 12 team playoff. Let that sink in.

Anyways, the fans saying let’s expand to 12 r the fans of G5 squads who want a shot & fans of teams who have been consistently mediocre.

Expanding to 12 teams is dumb, period. Going to 8? Sure, but at no given point is teams 9-12 deserving to be vying for a Nat’l title. Do I wanna see a 8-4 UF team playing for a title?? Fck no, but guess what? Under a 12 team format, they would’ve been in b4 the bowl season. The CFB regular season will be completely devalued. The rivalry, the must win game, all of that will be gone. It should be ur P5 conference champions, Top G5 conference champion, and 2 at large.

Advertisement
U know what’s sad:

If there was a 12 team playoff last season, we wouldn’t have made it. As a matter of fact, outside of 2017, we wouldn’t have made the playoffs since 2004 even w/ an expanded 12 team playoff. Let that sink in.

Anyways, the fans saying let’s expand to 12 r the fans of G5 squads who want a shot & fans of teams who have been consistently mediocre.

Expanding to 12 teams is dumb, period. Going to 8? Sure, but at no given point is teams 9-12 deserving to be vying for a Nat’l title. Do I wanna see a 8-4 UF team playing for a title?? Fck no, but guess what? Under a 12 team format, they would’ve been in b4 the bowl season. The CFB regular season will be completely devalued. The rivalry, the must win game, all of that will be gone. It should be ur P5 conference champions, Top G5 conference champion, and 2 at large.

Yeah, it's pretty sad. Miami hasn't finished in the top 10 since I think around 2005. Still, if you rack and stack Miami against the list of teams that could get one of the 12 playoff spots, I can say with 100% certainty that Miami has enough talent to be a playoff team. Now whether we have the coaching to pair with that... well... that's another question.

I don't see ND joining a conference. It is true that the proposal as it stands (emphasis added), prevents ND from earning a bye even if they are the consensus #1 team. They will be forced to host a first round game. However, that's the equivalent of any other eligible team playing in a conference championship game.

ND gets an extra week to rest and prepare for their first round opponent and that game essentially becomes/replaces a conference championship game that all other teams must endure. They also get to keep all of their TV revenue while retaining their bowl game tie-in that they currently enjoy with the ACC.

Me thinks they stay put as an independent.

Looks like a done deal. If the playoff field is 12 teams, I don't think it's unreasonable to say Miami is playoff caliber.

This is absolutely massive for recruiting btw. A kid does not have to go to bama or Clemson anymore to have a realistic chance of making the playoffs.
It will change how we evaluate head coaches and their incentive structure.

Not ever making the playoffs now should be a fireable offense. No exceptions.

Advertisement
It will change how we evaluate head coaches and their incentive structure.

Not ever making the playoffs now should be a fireable offense. No exceptions.

U know; this is definitely a caveat I didn’t think about. U r absolutely right.

Oh, and on another, totally different note...Colin Cowherd exposed the real reason behind this; this is going to be a massive money grab. With that being said, it’s going to be real hard to continue to justify kids not getting paid.

I don't see ND joining a conference. It is true that the proposal as it stands (emphasis added), prevents ND from earning a bye even if they are the consensus #1 team. They will be forced to host a first round game. That is the equivalent of any other eligible team playing in their Conference championship game. ND gets an extra week to rest and prepare for their first around opponent and that game becomes their conference championship game. They also get to keep all of their tv revenue and retain their lesser tier bowl game tie-in that they currently enjoy with the ACC.

Me thinks they stay put as an independent.
Yep if they are ranked higher than their opponent, they get money from their home game instead of splitting it if they were in a conference.

On paper it sounds good but if they consistently struggle getting out of the first round especially in the years they would’ve gotten a bye they may rethink it.

I think they should punish independents even more. But maybe I just hate how ND gets rewarded for this crap. The other big time schools don’t need ND yet we continue to allow them to profit of their side deals.

I would say that independents cannot host a playoff game as well no matter if they are ranked in the top four. That and excluding them from byes maybe that evens it out or makes them change their mind.

I haven’t been keeping up with the media, where does it say that it looks like it’s a done deal?

You really want to see a 3 loss team in a playoff? When you lose 3 games in cfb, that generally means you suck, not that you had a bad week. If that team shows up in the playoffs, it's gonna be ugly, not a cinderella story.

Yes.

A 3-loss team in CFB is a .750 team (assuming a 12 game schedule) or a .769 team (assuming a 13 game schedule, such as playing in a conference championship game).

That's a playoff team in ANY professional sport. That's a playoff team in ANY collegiate sport.

A .750 winning percentage is playoff-worthy in EVERY sport that any of us watch. But, somehow, in ONLY Division I-A college football, we act like that winning percentage makes a team HORRIBLE.

Advertisement
Here is what it would have looked like for this past season:

12 team playoff
1 - Bama (SEC Champ) 11-0
2 - Clemson (ACC Champ) 10-1
3 - OSU (Big 10 Champ) 6-0
4 - Oklahoma (Big 12 Champ) 8-2

5 - Notre Dame (at large) 10-1 v 12 - USC (Pac 12 Champ) 5-1
6 - Texas A&M (at large) 8-1 v 11 - Indiana (at large) 6-1
7 - Florida (at large) 8-3 v 10 - ISU (at large) 8-3
8 - Cincy (AAC Champ) 9-0 v 9 - UGA (at large) 7-2

8 team playoff (5 P5 Champs, 1 G5 Champ, 2 at large)
1 - Bama v 8 - Texas A&M
2 - Clemson v 7 - Notre Dame
3 - OSU v 6 - USC
4 - Oklahoma v 5 - Cincy

Several ****** games in the opening round for the 12 team. For the 8 team, yes Bama still wins this year just because they were by far the best team but its not going to be like that every year.

One tweak that should be considered. There should be a 3-team cap on ANY conference (3 teams is 25% of all participants, 4 teams is 33% of all participants.

No way the SEC should get Bama AND aTm AND UiF AND UGa.

U know what’s sad:

I'd actually argue that on a broad scale the regular season will INCREASE in value. Conference championships will now be more important than ever and you'll have 20+ teams having very meaningful regular season games all the way to the conclusion of the season.

You absolutely can make the case that teams 9-12 will drastically dilute the postseason. That said, I'm fine with ONE loss not killing OUR hopes when SEC teams currently almost get TWO losses as gimmes before we even BEGIN to preclude them from postseason talk.

One thing caught my eye....6 highest-ranked conference champs & 6 at-large.The 4 highest-ranked champs get a bye while other 8 play 1st-round games on campus.

So if Notre Dame is 12-0 and ranked #1, and they have to play a 1st round game because they're not a conference champ, they're going to be SCREAMING to join the ACC in football.

1623432195138.png

Advertisement
The ACC will be like, cool...just share the revenue of your contract.

****, if we were smart, we would try to get an ACC + ND contract with NBC much like the SEC had with CBS. Non-ABC network contracts don't prevent conferences from ALSO appearing on ESPN...

I'd actually argue that on a broad scale the regular season will INCREASE in value. Conference championships will now be more important than ever and you'll have 20+ teams having very meaningful regular season games all the way to the conclusion of the season.

You absolutely can make the case that teams 9-12 will drastically dilute the postseason. That said, I'm fine with ONE loss not killing OUR hopes when SEC teams currently almost get TWO losses as gimmes before we even BEGIN to preclude them from postseason talk.

:100:

I think more teams making the playoff will spread out the elite 5* more. Over time more playoff teams will equal more parity.

Exactly.

Recruits have taken the BCS-2 and the CFB-4 into consideration, which is what has ASSISTED with the concentration of top recruits going to Bama-Clemson-Ohio Taint-Oklahoma (and, yes, I know that bag$ are a part of it too).

But now, if a kid knows he can consider 20 schools which have a shot at the 12 playoff slots, it will SLOWLY but absolutely give kids the feeling that they do not HAVE TO pick Bama-Clemson-Taint-Oklahoma just to have a shot at the post-season.

It will take a few years, but you WILL get some dilution of talent, and it will be harder (not impossible) for those schools to maintain dominant recruiting. Combine this with the Portal Effect and some post-Covid tendencies for kids to want to play close to home, and it will lead to a bit more parity in college football.

Advertisement
U know what’s sad:

This is a correct statement but a 12 team playoff expands opportunity to other teams, which provides 5 star and high 4 star recruits more school choices to get a shot at winning a NC. Top south Florida talent will have less reason to go to other schools over Miami. This opens the door to changing who the top 5 teams are each year at a much quicker rate then we have seen in last 15 years.

If Conference championships are objective, then so are w-l records, but anyone with a brain knows that records with the same number of wins and losses arent all the same. And if you want to go with conference championships are objective, then g5 champs are just as valid. It’s the p5 vs g5 that was subjectively labeled based on their history and their ability to sell tv deals. And if you want to take out sos and margin of victory and the eye test, then everyone might as well be ranked by their record. In that case, we were tied with 40 other teams last year as the 4th best team in the Country. What a recruiting pitch…

Look, I'm going to try not to be harsh, but I clearly did not say to take out SOS and Margin of Victory completely. As I said, you can create a very fair and equitable system where the top 4 seeds with byes are ones that win OBJECTIVE conference championship titles, and then you fill out the rest of the field with non-champs (for the most part). Over and over again, I have touted a hybrid system of selecting the playoff teams, but I absolutely criticize a bunch of committee dorks who use SOS and Margin of Victory to ONLY pick four teams, and then obsess over how to seed FOUR FREAKING TEAMS. Seeding 4 teams is where SOS and Margin of Victory become insanely hair-splitting.

And don't give me any crap that "G5 champs are just as valid". No.

You create objective goals. First goal is to win a conference championship that WILL get you in the field. Next goal is to win as many games as possible to get the highest-possible seeding (and weakest possible opponent). This isn't that complicated.

But you also eliminate the sheer subjectiveness associated with teams in the 5-10 range. You get to an overall number (12) where it is impossible to argue that Team #13 "should have" made it into the old Final 4 consideration.

I'm still happier with a Sweet Sixteen that does not award any byes, but I can roll with a 12-team playoff.

Overtime we will see the top 5 teams in the country loose talent to the next top 10 to 20 programs, which will may make the lower seed teams stronger relative to the top teams. Further, even if this does not happen, who wouldn't watch Coastal Carolina play at Notre Dame? Imagine if Costal won a game like that in a playoff environment. The entire country would get excited about that even if it is in the first round. Who cares if they loose to Bama in the quarters. Drama sells. Current bowl system has absolutely no appeal to fans outside of the 4 team playoff.

Exactly.

Recruits have taken the BCS-2 and the CFB-4 into consideration, which is what has ASSISTED with the concentration of top recruits going to Bama-Clemson-Ohio Taint-Oklahoma (and, yes, I know that bag$ are a part of it too).

But now, if a kid knows he can consider 20 schools which have a shot at the 12 playoff slots, it will SLOWLY but absolutely give kids the feeling that they do not HAVE TO pick Bama-Clemson-Taint-Oklahoma just to have a shot at the post-season.

It will take a few years, but you WILL get some dilution of talent, and it will be harder (not impossible) for those schools to maintain dominant recruiting. Combine this with the Portal Effect and some post-Covid tendencies for kids to want to play close to home, and it will lead to a bit more parity in college football.
This is exactly how things would play out.

Advertisement
Back