12-Team College Football Playoff?

8 teams: 5 Power 5 champions, 3 at-large berths, one of which must be a G5 team if ranking warrants. The other two spots allow for ND if ranking warrants.
The Holy Grail of college football for every conference is to get two teams in the playoffs so you get double the money. That’s why they didn’t go to 8 teams because if you give a spot to the G5 that leaves only two at large for the P5. They don’t have a problem letting the G5 in, but not at the expense of their own wallets. That’s why they go to 12 teams. You let the G5 in and still have plenty of at large spots for the P5. Follow the money.

Advertisement
It’s a disgrace.

They are trying to take away everything that makes CFB great. Now the sport will be the NFL with worse players.

Four is, and has always been, the right number.

The number to me has always been six. No automatic qualifiers, protects the integrity of everything we love, allows room for a G5 team to make it, if they are deserving. Allows room for that #5 and #6 who sometimes (probably around 50% of the time) arguably deserve a shot.

I hate the idea of automatic bids.

The number to me has always been six. No automatic qualifiers, protects the integrity of everything we love, allows room for a G5 team to make it, if they are deserving. Allows room for that #5 and #6 who sometimes (probably around 50% of the time) arguably deserve a shot.

I hate the idea of automatic bids.

Same. Can’t wait for the unranked 8-5 team that won a terrible division and then pulled off one upset in a conference championship game.

Assuming the 12 team playoff happens….
They need to not purposefully separate the SEC teams from each other. If the spot they’re teams warrant happen to line them up against another SEC team, so be it. Don’t **** things around to try and avoid that.

Assuming the 12 team playoff happens….
They need to not purposefully separate the SEC teams from each other. If the spot they’re teams warrant happen to line them up against another SEC team, so be it. Don’t **** things around to try and avoid that.
That’s the problem with having a committee while claiming that it is “settled on the field”.

Advertisement
That’s the problem with having a committee while claiming that it is “settled on the field”.

Again, more dopiness from you.

The championship is settled on the field.

Unless your argument is that the playoff (as well as the team that wins the 12-team playoff) is not legitimate because Team #13 has been left out.

The Holy Grail of college football for every conference is to get two teams in the playoffs so you get double the money. That’s why they didn’t go to 8 teams because if you give a spot to the G5 that leaves only two at large for the P5. They don’t have a problem letting the G5 in, but not at the expense of their own wallets. That’s why they go to 12 teams. You let the G5 in and still have plenty of at large spots for the P5. Follow the money.
Agreed, money talks, but I think adding two spots for every conference dilutes conference championships. There needs to be a benefit to winning rather than coming in 2nd place. First round bye? Host a game?

The championship is settled on the field.

Unless your argument is that the playoff (as well as the team that wins the 12-team playoff) is not legitimate because Team #13 has been left out.

It is settled on the field now.

Don't make up my argument for me. The argument is that there is rarely a 5th team deserving of a playoff spot, much less a 12th team. Like I said in my first post: we add nothing by having Georgia play Cincinnati for the right to get blown out by Alabama. We know who the top teams are by the end of November. Go back in history. We never have seasons in which the top 10 teams are interchangeable. There is a top 2, 3, maybe 4, and that's it.

If people don't think the politics will be even worse than they are now, wait until there is a debate over #8 and #9. Who do you think is getting the home game if the debated teams are LSU, Memphis, and Washington?

Advertisement
It is settled on the field now.

Don't make up my argument for me. The argument is that there is rarely a 5th team deserving of a playoff spot, much less a 12th team. Like I said in my first post: we add nothing by having Georgia play Cincinnati for the right to get blown out by Alabama. We know who the top teams are by the end of November. Go back in history. We never have seasons in which the top 10 teams are interchangeable. There is a top 2, 3, maybe 4, and that's it.

No, it is your same-old same-old dopey arguments.

There is plenty to be gained by adding more teams. MONEY. Which I have always acknowledged. The vast majority of bowl games are garbage. In order to compete, universities need more money, and to not just give the same Final Four money to Alabama, Clemson, Ohio Taint, and Oklahomo every motherfvcking year.

Besides, you are the jackhole who keeps pretending like Alabama will "blow out" any other team, when you have NO IDEA of whether that will happen. Outside of SEC games, Alabama is rarely challenged by a Top 10 OOC opponent, which is what will more frequently happen once a 12-team playoff is instituted. You actually have NO IDEA what the outcome will be when Alabama has to play more quality opponents to earn the trophy.

The champion is still decided on the field. But now the field will be a bit larger.

I dare you, ****, I dare Saban, to whine if Alabama gets knocked out early. To complain because a "deserving" #1 Alabama team somehow lost to a "lesser team", or that poor poor Alabama had to DO MORE to earn the trophy than they've had to do in prior years. WAAAAAAHHHH.

I don't care if Alabama wins the next 10 national championships. If they beat a tournament field of 12 or 16 teams, I will tip my cap to their dominance.

If people don't think the politics will be even worse than they are now, wait until there is a debate over #8 and #9. Who do you think is getting the home game if the debated teams are LSU, Memphis, and Washington?

Oh, yeah, the world is going to lose its collective sanity over a #8 vs. a #9 seed. Care to pitch any other hysterical fits?

But your end-of-the-world scenario could easily be avoided by making ALL of the games neutral-site. Which is what needs to happen. No way in **** that they can be playing December games in some of these northern non-domed stadiums.

There is plenty to be gained by adding more teams. MONEY. Which I have always acknowledged. The vast majority of bowl games are garbage. In order to compete, universities need more money, and to not just give the same Final Four money to Alabama, Clemson, Ohio Taint, and Oklahomo every motherfvcking year.

Besides, you are the jackhole who keeps pretending like Alabama will "blow out" any other team, when you have NO IDEA of whether that will happen. Outside of SEC games, Alabama is rarely challenged by a Top 10 OOC opponent, which is what will more frequently happen once a 12-team playoff is instituted. You actually have NO IDEA what the outcome will be when Alabama has to play more quality opponents to earn the trophy.

The champion is still decided on the field. But now the field will be a bit larger.

I dare you, ****, I dare Saban, to whine if Alabama gets knocked out early. To complain because a "deserving" #1 Alabama team somehow lost to a "lesser team", or that poor poor Alabama had to DO MORE to earn the trophy than they've had to do in prior years. WAAAAAAHHHH.

I don't care if Alabama wins the next 10 national championships. If they beat a tournament field of 12 or 16 teams, I will tip my cap to their dominance.
Just curious, why is this so important to you that every response has personal attacks? I just have a different opinion than you.

Oh, yeah, the world is going to lose its collective sanity over a #8 vs. a #9 seed. Care to pitch any other hysterical fits?

But your end-of-the-world scenario could easily be avoided by making ALL of the games neutral-site. Which is what needs to happen. No way in **** that they can be playing December games in some of these northern non-domed stadiums.
Hysterical fit? End of the world scenario? I wrote two sentences pointing out that the SEC is going to get the benefit of any doubt when it comes to gaining advantages in this “playoff”.

Advertisement

Yeah, I’ve never seen a football game played in the snow. That would be an impossibility.

Alabama blew out #3 and #4, neither of which was from the SEC. But yeah, let’s give the 8/9 winner a shot.

Miami fans not understanding that expanding the playoff field is currently the only way the Canes make it.

Or until Dabo takes over for Saban.

Advertisement
Yeah, I’ve never seen a football game played in the snow. That would be an impossibility.

Another one of your over-simplifications.

I am not saying that a game is never played in the snow. Yes, all universities schedule their 6 or 7 home games, and a few fall in November.

But that is not the issue. The issue is games that COULD be played at neutral sites (and 7 of the 11 playoff games would be played at neutral sites) being scheduled for cold-weather sites in December. There is no reason to do so. Giving "home games" to Teams 5-8, while going neutral site for Teams 1-4 is just stupid and unnecessary.

Stick to TurboTax man.

You are truly college football ignorant with this dissertation of vomit. In particular the parts about Bama.

Hysterical fit? End of the world scenario? I wrote two sentences pointing out that the SEC is going to get the benefit of any doubt when it comes to gaining advantages in this “playoff”.

The SEC has earned the benefit of doubt.

The only other conference who currently approaches that is the Big 10.

Watch what happens this year. UGA will beat Clemson, only to go on and lose to Auburn, and then Bama in the SEC title game. Clemson will win the crappy ACC, without a conference loss. Everybody on the board will say that Clemson deserves a spot in the playoffs over UGA, even though UGA will have played a much tougher schedule.

Alabama blew out #3 and #4, neither of which was from the SEC. But yeah, let’s give the 8/9 winner a shot.

He knows nothing about college football. He writes long replies that are filled with non sense. He makes these ridiculous arguments about Bama and who they do or don’t face in their OOC schedule. He likes to make this assumption that teams are lining up to play Bamaand Bama is choosing to avoid them. All the while forgetting they play in the SEC West. Then, 99% of the time, they need to play, most likely, UGA or UF in the conf title game.

They beat AM-UGA-UF-ND and OSU on their way to the title last year.

But yeah, they don’t earn it.

Advertisement
Back